Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can You Celebrate Xmas Despite its Religious Connotations?
Can You Celebrate Xmas Despite its Religious Connotations?
When I first walked away from Christianity, of course I refused to answer people when they wished me a merry Christmas. I was surrounded by Christians in the buckle of the Bible belt. I couldn’t say what I wanted to say, but I’d be damned if I’d let them force me to say what I did not want to say.

That was twelve years ago. Today my opinion of Christianity has not changed, b the emotional need to distance myself from everything associated with god has mellowed. Now I remember that as a child Christmas was the only morning when nobody was fussing over whose turn it was in the bathroom.

Now I know that Jesus was never the “reason for the season.” The early church did not celebrate Christmas or Easter. The first Christmas was celebrated in Rome. That’s here all the pagan symbolism came from (I know someone here will correct me if I’m wrong, but until then, I’m right.) So I have a totally humanistic, secular view of Christmas. I let the serotonin flow through my brain and enjoy it.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Can You Celebrate Xmas Despite its Religious Connotations?
Yeah I totes dig Christmas because I get offa work and hang with the family (who I actually like) and watch lots of college football bowl games and such. When people wish me a merry Christmas I say "to you too" or something like that. I don't actively wish people a merry Christmas, for much the same reason I don't say "bless you" when someone sneezes: it's a content-devoid automatic reaction, no different from saying "ouch" when you hit your knee on something. I will tell people that I hope they enjoy their time off or visits with family or things like that.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Meh, the day has zero religious significance to me. The narrative doesn't even support the idea that Jesus was born in December. I may as well be celebrating Yule, Saturnalia, the winter solstice, or yay - Christmas fell on a Sunday this year so I get 4 1/2 consecutive days out of the office so let's party.

There's family, feasting, football, and gift-giving. That's all I care about.
No way, absolutely not! If I find anyone doing this, they're out of the atheist cult Tongue

Nah, sure I say merry Christmas to everyone. It has almost no religious connotations round here anymore.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Christmas was originally pagan. It was taken over by Christians later. Today it's really just a mix of capitalism and secular celebrations. I don't really care. I just spend time with people I love and try to have a good time.
I don't say anything about the holidays. If they say merry Christmas to me I say "to you as well". That way I can't get yelled at like last year. I too live in the bible belt. But I also celebrate Christmas for what it is; a hallmark holiday just like Thanksgiving but with presents. My boss doesn't agree since I got into a situation yesterday when I wouldn't sign a Christmas thank you card with biblical stuff on it.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Christmas has religious connotations?!
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(December 21, 2016 at 6:25 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Christmas has religious connotations?!

Yeah, but you have to squint REALLY hard to see them.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I wish everyone a happy Winter Foodfest, if they don't like it who cares?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

If it's got good food, I don't mind whatever fairytales are associated with it Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you would punish religious people for being religious? Ahriman 222 18077 May 2, 2022 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  Fine - I'll do it - Happy Whatever You Celebrate Eve/Day arewethereyet 20 1131 December 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Xmas working... LastPoet 10 676 December 26, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Its Good to Be Here Cinjin 44 2994 February 4, 2018 at 6:45 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Running Xmas jokes, what ya got? Gawdzilla Sama 4 732 December 27, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Take out on Xmas day DOES EXIST....... Brian37 18 2627 December 26, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  How many pillows do you sleep with, how do you use them & which can't you do without? Whateverist 31 2229 September 29, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Joods
  AF Skype Room: Why I Miss Its Activity Edwardo Piet 16 2885 October 31, 2016 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Celebrate the new year with a rep. Foxaèr 10 1820 December 28, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Do Atheists celebrate Christmas? Or does Santa ignore your letters to north pole? ErGingerbreadMandude 13 1502 December 20, 2015 at 6:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4