Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you rather live?
Where would you rather live?
For the purpose of this question...

Theocratic = you must believe in god
Atheocratic = you must not believe in god

I know theocratic doesn't have that meaning (or does it?), and I'm not sure atheocratic is even a word, but if they did mean the above, my question is :

Would you rather live in a theocratic or an atheocratic state?
RE: Where would you rather live?
ATHEOCRATIC STATE! BRING ON THE SECULAR POLITICS!
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
(August 29, 2010 at 7:42 pm)Scarface Wrote: Theocratic = you must believe in god

Any society that forces one to have any particular attitude regarding what is a personal matter (religious, sexual or racial attitudes) isn't going to be worthwhile. In the end, there is no difference between either of the options you've presented-- the common word being "must."
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
Seeing that you "must" be one or the other, I would only fit into the atheocratic society.
(August 29, 2010 at 7:42 pm)Scarface Wrote: Theocratic = you must believe in god

Trick question. The answer is neither.
Both are the result of the state telling me what my religious views are supposed to be and both can only be the result of the state having much more power over its population than a government should rightly have.

I'd rather live in a theocratic state that made it illegal to discriminate (similarly to modern civil rights movements) against a person's religion than an atheist state that forces everyone to have a particular set (or lack) of religious views.

Assuming, however, that I MUST choose between one or the other, I suppose I'd rather live in Atheocratic state because at least then I may not run into issues with the state in this regard, but to me it's like choosing one horrible dictatorship over the other.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
I'd rather live in a place where asshole creationists were rounded up and kept medicated for everyone's good.
(August 29, 2010 at 9:07 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote:

Trick question. The answer is neither.
Both are the result of the state telling me what my religious views are supposed to be and both can only be the result of the state having much more power over its population than a government should rightly have.

I'd rather live in a theocratic state that made it illegal to discriminate (similarly to modern civil rights movements) against a person's religion than an atheist state that forces everyone to have a particular set (or lack) of religious views or lack thereof.

Assuming, however, that I MUST choose between one or the other, I suppose I'd rather live in Atheocratic state because at least then I may not run into issues with the state in this regard, but to me it's like choosing one horrible dictatorship over the other.

YES! YES! YES! As interesting as it would be to live in a place where nobody believed in God, keeping it voluntary helps to ensure that atheists, by not believing, are merely following their own nose, and not the ass of another lemming.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I thought the questions was about which country, so I'll answer that question first,:

I've only visited 20 odd countries,and lived in only one other. I love living here, in Adelaide, South Australia.

If I couldn't live here, I would live in BC Canada, (I have dual citizenship) Southern Ireland or England. I have a long list of suitable countries. The US is not is not on my list.

When I retired, I briefly considered going to live in TONGA: good climate and cheap living costs. I decided against it because of poor health care system and because most of the population belongs to one of those weird sects,such as JWs and that sets the tore of the entire society.

I want a secular country,where everyone is free to believe what they wish and free to worship as they wish,or not at all..Viz freedom OF and FROM religion. Ideally,all religious organsitations would be taxed as any corporation and their schools attract no government funding.
(August 29, 2010 at 7:42 pm)Scarface Wrote: For the purpose of this question...

Theocratic = you must believe in god

I know theocratic doesn't have that meaning (or does it?), and I'm not sure atheocratic is even a word, but if they did mean the above, my question is :

Would you rather live in a theocratic or an atheocratic state?

Given that these are the only two choices, atheocratic without question. I can't imagine anything worse than the first option. As another mentioned, the qualification "must" is little troubling, heavy-handed and says that I have to disbelieve regardless of whether there is anything to believe in or not, but since there most likely is not, this doesn't seem to be a problem.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
They're both just as bad as each other. Most people have answered the question based on their personal preferences, but at the end of the day you'd have to live in that country, with millions of other people, many of which would be forced into behaviour which they would strongly disagree with, and this would affect everyone. I would choose a theocratic state, only because I believe that such a state would, overall, be more interesting to live in (I've always found people who believe in god to be more creative and artistic). But if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't know which to choose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3195 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11356 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6526 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Would you rather purplepurpose 11 2387 November 30, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why there is something rather than nothing... Jehanne 43 7772 August 28, 2016 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Aren't Science vs. Creation Debates......rather pointless? maestroanth 30 5600 March 29, 2016 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  If You Ruled Your Own Country, Would You Ban Religion? Salacious B. Crumb 79 12020 May 8, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Any of you live in the Bible Belt? aces 31 4794 February 15, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: emilynghiem
  "Science does not offer one guidance for how to live" <---- WRONG. Mudhammam 13 3233 July 22, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Long live Terrorism reality.Mathematician 2 902 June 19, 2014 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut