Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it true that atheism has killed more people then organized religion?...
Is it true that atheism has killed more people then organized religion?...
A lot of Christians say that atheism, particularly Stalinism, has killed more people then religious conflicts. I wouldn't yet say that I am a full-fledged atheist, but is this true? PLEASE note that this question is not meant to offend anyone on these forums; I'm just looking for the truth on this issue.
RE: Is it true that atheism has killed more people then organized religion?...
No. Religion has killed more people than atheism and Stalinism could ever dream of killing.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
I completely agree chasm, religious beliefs have been the cause of much bloodshed and this continues to be so even in today's modern age. Christianity particularly has a good track record of murder and mayhem but this applies to religious beliefs in general. And some of those killings were of completely innocent people who were killed because of the superstitions of the bible, such as the witch hunts where people were being murdered for so called being in league with the Devil. Atheism is not a religion so I don't see how it can kill anyone, the lack of a belief in a god does not mean that we are immoral murderers etc. I feel that most of the claims that Christians make against atheism are completely false and baseless.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(September 5, 2010 at 11:16 am)dave4shmups Wrote: A lot of Christians say that atheism, particularly Stalinism, has killed more people then religious conflicts. I wouldn't yet say that I am a full-fledged atheist, but is this true? PLEASE note that this question is not meant to offend anyone on these forums; I'm just looking for the truth on this issue.

Well, I assume you're thinking about Nazis and the communists, so let me point out why it would be wrong to conflate the killings committed in the name of either ideology with atheism.

Nazis- This one is easier, so I'll just say it. The Nazis weren't atheists. Granted, many of the higher-ups in the Nazi Party were adherents to a bizarre form of paganism, and the religion of Hitler himself is up to debate, but it's clear that as soon as they took power, they effectively banned anti-religious movements (surprisingly, even before the Nuremberg Laws), and it's clear that a big part of the public acceptance of such a raving anti-semite is due to the fact that Christianity made it acceptable to hate Jews for many centuries (remember Christians claiming that the Jews were responsible for Christ's death?)

Communism- Of course, all the brutal leaders of the Communist movements were atheists (like Stalin or Chairman Mao), but It would be an oversimplification to claim that their brutality is due to atheism. In essence, when there were persecutions, almost never were they solely against those who follow religion, but religious followers are usually seen as one of a long list of "enemies of the state."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(September 5, 2010 at 11:47 am)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(September 5, 2010 at 11:16 am)dave4shmups Wrote: A lot of Christians say that atheism, particularly Stalinism, has killed more people then religious conflicts. I wouldn't yet say that I am a full-fledged atheist, but is this true? PLEASE note that this question is not meant to offend anyone on these forums; I'm just looking for the truth on this issue.

Well, I assume you're thinking about Nazis and the communists, so let me point out why it would be wrong to conflate the killings committed in the name of either ideology with atheism.

Nazis- This one is easier, so I'll just say it. The Nazis weren't atheists. Granted, many of the higher-ups in the Nazi Party were adherents to a bizarre form of paganism, and the religion of Hitler himself is up to debate, but it's clear that as soon as they took power, they effectively banned anti-religious movements (surprisingly, even before the Nuremberg Laws), and it's clear that a big part of the public acceptance of such a raving anti-semite is due to the fact that Christianity made it acceptable to hate Jews for many centuries (remember Christians claiming that the Jews were responsible for Christ's death?)

Communism- Of course, all the brutal leaders of the Communist movements were atheists (like Stalin or Chairman Mao), but It would be an oversimplification to claim that their brutality is due to atheism. In essence, when there were persecutions, almost never were they solely against those who follow religion, but religious followers are usually seen as one of a long list of "enemies of the state."

I agree, and, AFIK, Martin Luther's violently anti-semitic comments inspired the Holocaust.

When dealing with people who make such statements, Dave, you must always bear in mind that you are dealing with idiots.

Stalin mainly killed people who opposed forced collectivization because they opposed forced collectivization. Not because he wanted them to stop worshiping whatever inane variant of 'god' they worshiped.

The Crusaders massacred muslims and jews because they were muslims and jews. Rational people are able to understand this distinction. Religious shitwits are apparently incapable of getting it.

Hitler thought of himself as a fine xtian. And he was.

No, that's b*ll*cks. And if you are not a fully fledged theist in disguise then I'm Carmen Miranda!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
As Richard Dawkins said on some Australian program, there is no direct link that can be made between atheism (i.e. the disbelief in gods) and murder. You can, however, make a direct link between some religions and murder.

This isn't to say that all religious people are murderers, or that no murderers can be atheists. Murderers come in all shapes and sizes, but atheism cannot be said to be a motivator for murder, whilst some religions can (through certain interpretation of doctrine). Just look at all the abortion center bombings in recent years.
One huge misconception that theists (Christians in particular) hold about atheism is that it is a way of life or some sort of 'ungodly' philosophy. It's not. Perhaps atheist leaders have been responsible for mass murder, but it certainly wasn't because they were atheists. Quite the opposite concerning the atrocities at the feet of Christianity.
(September 5, 2010 at 11:59 am)Darwinian Wrote:

No, that's b*ll*cks. And if you are not a fully fledged theist in disguise then I'm Carmen Miranda!

I I I I I I like you very much........

Any way Stalin attacked the power of the church because it was a rival to his power.
He wanted to rule by dictat and had seen how in the past the church had curtailed the rule of the czars.
This was helped by the Czars being into superstitions like christianity. Stalin was free to act as he did because he shared no such delusion.

But Stalins acts had precedant in russia, it was not really different from the czars pogroms against the jews except in scale and the religion it targeted.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1305 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Right's true opposition to CRT? Jehanne 33 2546 August 3, 2021 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  True Enough - Because Jesus Is An Embarrassment To Them Minimalist 8 1158 November 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  White liberals are the true racists Sammin 55 4324 October 23, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1700 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Then Fuck God. Minimalist 10 1409 October 2, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: GUBU
  If Blacks have superior dicks, then explain highest risk of infecting AIDS Konboa 8 1315 September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  GOP destroying organized human life Foxaèr 2 829 May 15, 2018 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Then God Can Go Fuck Himself! Minimalist 15 5224 August 25, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Then FUCK GOD Minimalist 17 3492 August 11, 2017 at 5:16 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb