Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two questions.
Two questions.
Hello,

I had a unusal experience lastnight when talking with a evolutionlist. He and I got into a conversation about religion and evolution wich I thought the evolution part was the most enlightening for me than religious discussion, thought I did learn something.The guy asked me if I believed in any spirits and gods and I told him does a bear shit in the woods? No, I lay claim to no god or religious organization, or support one. He asked me if atheist or people that didn't even believe in spirits were extremist, evil people? If we hurt people or did illegal acts. ( I wanted to tell him yes, I am going to come over and cook your liver for supper) But I explained to him we were normal people like christians but we just have no claim or have any ties to anything or most atheist donot, there are different types.
So here is my question.

1. Why is it that people sterotype atheist? Is it because we donot bow down to no god or reconize anything that the majorty of the population does? Because we are unique in our own way?

Anyways the odd part of the conversation was that he is a evolutionlist but he believes in spirits. Here is my next question.

2. I didnot think evolutionlist believed in spirits but that we have simply evolved wich he does believe but he believes in both. I just thought that was corky.

Poopie.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes" Letter to von Humboldt, 1813
RE: Two questions.
1. For the same reason people stereotype Christian, Black, White's, Gay's, etc... so on and so on. No niche has a corner market on bigotry and prejudice. It's common human practice to classify things and people are things. The trick is to not let it bias your communication or interaction with that person.
2. What does evolution have to do with metaphysics at all? One is a belief in a process about genetic change and the other is a worldview that there could be more to life than the material. They're not mutually exclusive or related IMO.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(September 15, 2010 at 10:08 am)Bull Poopie Wrote: 1. Why is it that people sterotype atheist? Is it because we donot bow down to no god or reconize anything that the majorty of the population does? Because we are unique in our own way?

2. I didnot think evolutionlist believed in spirits but that we have simply evolved wich he does believe but he believes in both. I just thought that was corky.

Poopie.

1: people like to put other people in convenient boxes, its much easier than learning the truth.

2: As tack said the meta-physical is the theoretical non-physical so theres no reason to believe in one and not the other, does seem a bit odd though.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Tacky's answer is a good one.

Also worth rembering that it's only the lunar religious right which has a problem with evolution.

Atheists are not at all special. As a category it's a granfalloon as are religions .

Quote:A "granfalloon" is a proud and meaningless association of human beings ( Kurt Vonnegut)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wampeters,_...anfalloons

(September 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm)tackattack Wrote: 1. For the same reason people stereotype Christian, Black, White's, Gay's, etc... so on and so on. No niche has a corner market on bigotry and prejudice. It's common human practice to classify things and people are things. The trick is to not let it bias your communication or interaction with that person.
2. What does evolution have to do with metaphysics at all? One is a belief in a process about genetic change and the other is a worldview that there could be more to life than the material. They're not mutually exclusive or related IMO.

Sorry for the dorkus questions Confusedhock:...anyways it just seemed kind of odd.. I know one doesn't have anything to do with the other but it was just a bit odd... but we as humans all have our quarks..

I guess trying to understand people and know why they are the way they are is a bit tough.. I just trying to understand it all... anything outside of anyone else norm they'll attack and automatically think it is evil, unjustice or not right in their eyes like you said wether your religious or not but some people are more subtle than others about it..

thanks for answering the post ya'll Smile
(September 15, 2010 at 6:46 pm)padraic Wrote: Tacky's answer is a good one.

Also worth rembering that it's only the lunar religious right which has a problem with evolution.

Atheists are not at all special. As a category it's a granfalloon as are religions .

Quote:A "granfalloon" is a proud and meaningless association of human beings ( Kurt Vonnegut)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wampeters,_...anfalloons

yes, his answer was a really good one Smile .. no atheist arn't all special they have their quarks as do religious people... they are normal like everyone else we'll from what I have gathered most except for a few arogant ones here and there :-P but they have those in religions as well

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes" Letter to von Humboldt, 1813
@padraic, I love you for that answer! Kurt Vonnegut FTW!!
(September 15, 2010 at 7:01 pm)Watson Wrote: @padraic, I love you for that answer! Kurt Vonnegut FTW!!

How nice, thank you. Does that mean we're engaged? Tiger

Check the link,the article is by Vonnegut.
@BullPoopie- There are no stupid questions..well I'm sure some atheists on here would disagree Tongue but if you're trying to understand how people work a great place to start would be with introspection. As Sun Tzu says "If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril." and the always popular "Know thy self, know thy enemy"
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(September 15, 2010 at 10:08 am)Bull Poopie Wrote: 1. Why is it that people sterotype atheist? Is it because we donot bow down to no god or reconize anything that the majorty of the population does? Because we are unique in our own way?

You mean stereotype in the US-- because here it makes more sense since the country is more obsessed with religion than other developed countries. Other (developed) countries don't have those same kind of hangups. And besides, generally the topic of religion (for or against or whatever) is regarded as a private matter, not to be plastered on a bumper sticker or t-shirt or political slogans. That would be in poor taste. Except of course in the US (is this an insecurity thing I wonder?).

Where I live (in the US deep south) I don't think many people have ever actually met (to their knowledge) an atheist. And, in order to make sure I still have a job, I keep my own lack of belief under wraps (my manager is a fundamentalist and she's a bit irrational anyways). It was a big enough step for me to say to a co-worker once (because asked) about where I went to church (not "if," but "where") and I said that I wasn't a particularly religious person (a massive understatement!). She then pressed me, "Oh, no! You aren't one of those atheists are you? Those people are crazy! etc etc" I somehow deflected the conversation, but still stuck to my "not a religious person" explanation for myself. But I thought to myself, "How many atheists have you ever actually met before?" Probably none, which made her able to say such a ridiculous thing.

In the past I've told people, after knowing them for long periods of time, that I am an atheist and they wouldn't believe me: "Oh you can't be an atheist, you are too nice! etc" which is really strikes me as funny. --Because atheists like to butcher kittens and eat babies dontchaknow?

In general, I think prejudice is more able to get a foothold in people and communities when the group in question is a very tiny minority, to the point that they have probably never met an actual atheist, Jew, gay, Muslim, etc. Or have segregated themselves so much that they have no real contact with them. Once you KNOW someone who belongs to category x, y or z and you realize "oh, they are living, breathing human beings with feelings and hopes and dreams and desires just like me" it becomes harder to stick to ones prejudices. That undermines prejudice more than any rational argument, which is why things like racial integration truly scared the hell out of hardcore racist ideologues in the Jim Crow south. When you realize that the black girl sitting next to you in class isn't all that different from you, and grow up with those experiences, next thing you know they'll be marrying and who knows what else! This easily fits the problem that gays and lesbians are dealing with in some less enlightened countries like the US.

Quote:2. I didnot think evolutionlist believed in spirits but that we have simply evolved wich he does believe but he believes in both. I just thought that was corky.

There are quite a number of Catholics and some Protestants who have no problem with evolution, but conveniently add there is something *else* added in the mix. Don't ask me how one can reconcile this sort of thing-- I never did when I was in the Church of Christ (yes, I kept that secret to myself in those days that I accepted evolution) and even in my later more "liberal Christian" days I still compartmentalized those things and simply didn't address the issue (but then, I was doing a lot of mental compartmentalization in those days in order to have my cake and eat it too).
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
(September 15, 2010 at 8:25 pm)tackattack Wrote: @BullPoopie- There are no stupid questions..well I'm sure some atheists on here would disagree Tongue but if you're trying to understand how people work a great place to start would be with introspection. As Sun Tzu says "If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril." and the always popular "Know thy self, know thy enemy"

I have been doing that lately, I think too much by the "dorkus questions" I have been asking on here. I am new to actually thinking outloud, I know you have heard that term used before :-P or thinking for myself. That is another term I have heard as well. Anyways I think the main I am trying to figure out is where I fit in this whole world. I am reading a wanderful book some gracious person has advised me to read. It is by Daniel C. Donnett " Breaking the spell". He talks not only about religioin, atheism, etc. He talks about people and a little on who people react. I actually have some college back ground believe it or not and the most thing that interested me was about the mind, behaviors and how people under react, over react or are just melow. I dream of returning to school to finish my medical degree but in hopes to take more psych classes in the process. (sorry got a little off topic there)
(September 15, 2010 at 8:56 pm)Entropist Wrote:

You mean stereotype in the US-- because here it makes more sense since the country is more obsessed with religion than other developed countries. Other (developed) countries don't have those same kind of hangups. And besides, generally the topic of religion (for or against or whatever) is regarded as a private matter, not to be plastered on a bumper sticker or t-shirt or political slogans. That would be in poor taste. Except of course in the US (is this an insecurity thing I wonder?).

Unfortunately I was brought up in the south myself, Entropist. I was very closed minded and anything that ventured outside of my box I was freakedout about espcially religion. It was just unatural to think that anything existed beside god, jesus and the church itself. The leaders were god's messangers (gads) Anyways I feel like a kid that just dipped her hand in the candy jar and eating everything in site.LOL, you see my point there? ( Then again from all the years of religious upbringing I do feel a little insecure before I wander every once in a while about the universe, god and the way people are and the evidence that presents itself of god not existing, wether it be science or not.) That brings me to wander about people behaviors, do you where it all ties into? I am just trying to find myself in all this. I am skeptical and often wander about everything. I am reading an good book here. ( I hope I am making sense here Smile ) Anyways in my small town where I came from we had bumper stickers that had honk if you love Jesus, people wore t-shirts, etc. I think is a waste of money, time and effort.. why exploit it? If you go to church to me that should be enough for you don't honk or wear a t-shirt to prove it. Anways, maybe I am just talking out of my ass or babbling.
Where I live (in the US deep south) I don't think many people have ever actually met (to their knowledge) an atheist. And, in order to make sure I still have a job, I keep my own lack of belief under wraps (my manager is a fundamentalist and she's a bit irrational anyways). It was a big enough step for me to say to a co-worker once (because asked) about where I went to church (not "if," but "where") and I said that I wasn't a particularly religious person (a massive understatement!). She then pressed me, "Oh, no! You aren't one of those atheists are you? Those people are crazy! etc etc" I somehow deflected the conversation, but still stuck to my "not a religious person" explanation for myself. But I thought to myself, "How many atheists have you ever actually met before?" Probably none, which made her able to say such a ridiculous thing.

In the past I've told people, after knowing them for long periods of time, that I am an atheist and they wouldn't believe me: "Oh you can't be an atheist, you are too nice! etc" which is really strikes me as funny. --Because atheists like to butcher kittens and eat babies dontchaknow?

In general, I think prejudice is more able to get a foothold in people and communities when the group in question is a very tiny minority, to the point that they have probably never met an actual atheist, Jew, gay, Muslim, etc. Or have segregated themselves so much that they have no real contact with them. Once you KNOW someone who belongs to category x, y or z and you realize "oh, they are living, breathing human beings with feelings and hopes and dreams and desires just like me" it becomes harder to stick to ones prejudices. That undermines prejudice more than any rational argument, which is why things like racial integration truly scared the hell out of hardcore racist ideologues in the Jim Crow south. When you realize that the black girl sitting next to you in class isn't all that different from you, and grow up with those experiences, next thing you know they'll be marrying and who knows what else! This easily fits the problem that gays and lesbians are dealing with in some less enlightened countries like the US.
Unfortunately I suppose we sterotype people when they don't fit into our world or our beliefs or thoughts. If they are venturing outside the four boxed walls then we get defensive at them and think the worst, that is what I think at times. People behaviors are just amazing to me at times wich connects with their thought process or how shallow or closed minded people are but then again I could be talking out of my ass again.
Quote:2. I didnot think evolutionlist believed in spirits but that we have simply evolved wich he does believe but he believes in both. I just thought that was corky.

There are quite a number of Catholics and some Protestants who have no problem with evolution, but conveniently add there is something *else* added in the mix. Don't ask me how one can reconcile this sort of thing-- I never did when I was in the Church of Christ (yes, I kept that secret to myself in those days that I accepted evolution) and even in my later more "liberal Christian" days I still compartmentalized those things and simply didn't address the issue (but then, I was doing a lot of mental compartmentalization in those days in order to have my cake and eat it too).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things that I don't understand. Add yours. Figbash 14 1253 May 4, 2020 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: no one
  Not A Poll: Two People Are At A Picnic BrianSoddingBoru4 13 1715 January 10, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two people are drowning..... ErGingerbreadMandude 40 4824 January 10, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Can Two People Keep a Secret? Rhondazvous 41 4223 October 21, 2017 at 9:15 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  The Taboo of Number Two Catholic_Lady 397 26383 November 7, 2015 at 9:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  On what model throne do you do your two? Whateverist 31 4176 August 26, 2015 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Madness and Mayhem charity stream: Day Two abentwookie 0 618 May 17, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: abentwookie
  Official two year anniversary Foxaèr 7 1458 March 16, 2015 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Thumbs Down A week turned into two amd a half months. Keri 24 4727 December 13, 2014 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Marijuana legalization: A Tale of Two Cities Jackalope 1 908 November 12, 2014 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13