Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the origin of religion
On the origin of religion
As I've stated elsewhere searching for the origin point of religions led to Lascaux and the Venus figurines of 40,000 years ago. This would tend to indicate some form of shamanism and shamanism is widespread across the planet being found on all populated continents.
Further thoughts flag up those areas where shamanism isn't generally found - civilizations.
Extrapolating from this it would appear that shamanism and civilization are somehow incompatible and civilization forces beliefs to mutate forming organised religions.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
RE: On the origin of religion
Huh? Say wut?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Linking the origins of religion to a -type- of religion is tenuous.  The origin point of religious behavior predates -any- figurines anywhere, in any case, so....? Further, shamanism persisted well into the calcification of civilization (and exists today, no less).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It exists in tribal societies but doesn't penetrate civilizations to any great extent, these being the domain of the organised religions.
In essence I'm speculating that shamanism is the natural belief system of our hunter-gatherer ancestors but found itself ill adapted to the civilized world.
In effect the organised religions equate to evolutionary adaptations in order to survive in a hostile environment of which the polytheistic variety appear to be the more stable.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Whats the diving line between shamanism and organized religion, in your estimation? Were the plains religions -not- organized, along with the existence of shamans and shamanism, for example? Or, conversely, did the oglala or teton not qualify as civilization? How about any of the other pre or post columbian cultures?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The cultures of the North American plains do not qualify as civilizations no.
The origin points of civilization AFAIK are Mesopotamia, Indus Valley, Yellow River and Moche. All subsequent civilizations can trace their origins to one of these.
-Esquilax

-okay.....and in these civilizations (obviously excluding north american civilizations.....for reasons....), and their religious traditions, is there a point at which it is no longer shamanism?  What point, specifically?  When, and how, does a shaman become a priest, definitively?
It seems plain enough that science, engineering and religion all had the same genesis [pun definitely intended]: Oog got tired of Nature shitting on him on a more or less regular basis and asked himself, 'What makes this happen to me? What can I do to make it happen less?' Oog may have noticed that Skrg - for example - threw things at the sky to make it stop raining on her. Sometimes, it appeared to work. Maybe there was something in the sky that made the rain, and it could be threatened or cajoled to make the rain stop (or at least rain at a more propitious time). If flinging sticks and other bits of rubbish at the Make-It-Rain thing didn't work, perhaps something else would. Maybe the Make-It-Rain thing was hungry, and if it was fed it would feel better and stop the rain.

Giving extra food to the MIR thing worked sometimes, sometimes not. But Oog also noticed that he got less rain on him when he was under the trees. Since lugging the forest about with him on the off chance of a thunderstorm wasn't practical, there might be a way to make a little forest he could run to when the MIR thing went all drippy, sacrifices or no sacrifices.

And so on and so on and so on up to the present day, where everyone is consumed with clickbait. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It seems , honestly, like it was less practical and more theoretical.  There was nothing immediately useful about a red ochre burial...and yet. Sure, they filled the graves with practical goods...but not for any immediately discernible practical reason.
My guess would be that when beliefs become recorded in written form it forces an alteration in the concepts and ideas of authority.
-Esquilax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19600 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Open Origin Religions? Brometheus 26 5368 April 6, 2015 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Aractus
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48971 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  The Origin of the Garden of Eden Story A_Nony_Mouse 32 9126 April 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  The origin of morality A_Nony_Mouse 49 13784 April 5, 2013 at 3:26 am
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5160 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Origin of Morality ShnogTrip 6 2852 June 7, 2010 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: fr0d0