Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origin of Morality
Origin of Morality
"If you've got a religious belief that withers in the face of observations of the natural world, you ought to rethink your beliefs — rethinking the world isn't an option" - P.Z. Myers
RE: Morality
Quote:Our morals come from common sense

Fine ,except that my perception is that common sense is an oxymoron.

My view is that morality is based on pragmatism,that's why it varies so much. There is only one precept which actually works; 'the ends justify the means',whether the end is individual self interest or the greater good.

My own morality is [ideally] based on self interest and is monitored by conscience,which admittedly can be inconvenient and downright irritating. (I'm a recovering Catholic) I recognise no moral authority apart from conscience.
There is only one rule...

"Do as you would be done by BEFORE you are done by as you did!"

Seems to be working so far..Angel Cloud
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think that 'morality' was/is/will be formed through evolutionary and sociological means... and formed either before, or simultaneous with, the formation of the notion of 'gods'. It is a matter of survival of the species. So, I guess I pretty much agree with the original post.
Religious morality is fixed and not based on shifting human ideals, and is therefore desirable IMO. I don't think that 'proves' anything besides being a good idea.
(June 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Religious morality is fixed and not based on shifting human ideals,

That is not actually true, though, fr0d0. There are at least 3 versions of the 'Ten Commandments' currently in use by various religions. Not to mention that the 'morality lessons' taught in the bible(s) have been and are currently interpreted in a ridiculous number of ways.

The man who shouts, "God hates fags!", feels he is acting out of 'religious morality'. Many other religious people would disagree with him. That is only one example, but you see my point, I hope.
I do Paul. I should study it more. The interpretation does of course change to suit the times, as it has to. That isn't the same as human desire driving the moral climate, I hope you see the difference Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33169 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3394 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  On the origin of religion Mr Greene 26 2589 February 8, 2017 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31065 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4494 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion is a poor source of morality Cecelia 117 17096 October 10, 2015 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7328 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3634 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Open Origin Religions? Brometheus 26 5448 April 6, 2015 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4932 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris