Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Percieve Age?
How Do You Percieve Age?
Out of curiosity, I have observed that, while I may perceive someone to be of a certain age, somebody else may perceive that same person to be of a different age.  Now, using myself as an example, I've had people describe me as young (twenties) while others think that I'm actually older than I am (5+ years).

With that said , I'm curious how others in the AF community perceive age.  Do you judge age solely by physical appearance? Do you also factor in the way an individual carries himself/herself, such as the way they speak or their behavior? Does one's wardrobe, hobbies, interests also factor into how you perceive age?  Are there other factors or combinations of factors that you consider?

Thanks for your time and attention.

RE: How Do You Percieve Age?
If I can hear their bones creaking I figure they are at least as old as me.
I judge a person's age number by how they look. I judge a person's maturity by how they handle themselves during conflict.
I'm terrible at working out someone's age.
But I try not to judge a young person's intelligence or wisdom, or an old person's physical abilities or mental capacity.
A preconceived idea is like putting on blinders to all the good stuff about a person.
This could lead to only finding people your own age interesting.
And then a preconceived idea about what you should be doing in life at your age.
Just thought I'd put that out there and I hope it makes sense. :-)
I have a slight varicophlebitis. If that doesn't tell me I'm getting old, I don't know what Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I look at the Date of Birth on their user profile.

If not available I go by little hints dropped in discussions. Get off my lawn is a dead give away.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 25, 2017 at 11:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote: If I can hear their bones creaking I figure they are at least as old as me.

The morning unbending is unending.

(April 26, 2017 at 6:16 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I look at the Date of Birth on their user profile.

If not available I go but little hints dropped in discussions. Get off my lawn is a dead give away.

"Truman was president when I was born." 

(One in a thousand has any clue about that.)
Schmidt was Chancellor when I was born...

[Image: bei-altbundeskanzler-helmut-schmidt-ist-...hnten-.jpg]

Yeah those were the days...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I like Ike.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I can tell you how old a kid is from newborn to 12 because I worked at a daycare but once they hit puberty I am so bad at judging age. I thought my coworker was like 27 and turns out she was 36. Granted she loved me after that lol but I swear I am wrong every single time.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tell us your age with a picture Foxaèr 74 9232 May 14, 2018 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8401 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What’s your age and butt size J a c k 52 4939 January 27, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Teen"age songs brewer 60 5996 July 27, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Is age merely a number? OfMiceAndMen 58 7967 March 12, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Age and relationships FallentoReason 40 7440 August 6, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Praetorian
  What's your age? Blanca 71 20637 March 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Diamond
  Average age of posters Diamond 61 7214 November 7, 2011 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Galileo
  In what age did you find out god does not exis? TheReligiousAtheist 28 5667 April 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Old age Violet 40 11766 April 29, 2010 at 12:44 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious