Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would it take to change your mind?
What would it take to change your mind?
If you are a believer - what would it take for you to lose your faith?
And if you are an atheist like me, what would it take for you to believe in God? For me it would take:evidence.
What would it take for you to switch position?
And if you are an agnostic what would it take for you to be more sure that God did or didn't exist? Or do you think nothing could ever be said on the matter, or at least in your lifetime?
RE: What would it take to change your mind?
If a god or gods would make itself or themselves known in no uncertain terms, of course I would believe. Whether or not I would start worshipping, it or they have some serious explaining to do.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 29, 2008 at 7:36 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: If a god or gods would make itself or themselves known in no uncertain terms, of course I would believe. Whether or not I would start worshipping, it or they have some serious explaining to do.

I agree with Leo.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Please define 'God' a bit. You mean the Christian God? Or the Islamic one? (yes they are the same, I meant as portrayed in their respective Holy Books) Or maybe a 'watchmaker' God? The God of Zulu maybe? Odin? Thor? Or something entirely different?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
I mean any supernatural creator that did not evolve - was there from the very beginning or was always there - that created the universe itself. That's what I mean by 'God'.
This includes all theistic and all deistic. Any supernatural creator.
So completely divorced from any earthly theological dogmas, discriptions and such? To say "(a) supernatural creator that did not evolve - was there from the very beginning or was always there - that created the universe itself. is already assigning it earthly man given attributes (created the universe). [Image: blah.gif]

Mas' definition por favor. [Image: indifferent1.gif]
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
A religious friend of mine said someone would have to disprove every word of the bible.

At first I thought this impossible as every myth or story has some parts that are at least based on something real. Or are so irrelevant it's impossible to disprove.

I've been wondering if I want to challenge him again, I already managed to get him to admit it's complete blind faith without reason but, hes been so indoctrinated he sees blind faith as an example of strong willpower.
@ Dotard
A supernatural creator whether it is a theistic or a deistic God. It doesn't have to be a person or have created man. Just a supernatural creator, that I might add is also superintelligent. Simply because it would have to be really to create the universe.
Either theistic or deistic. You can answer one in particular or both. By God I mean=supernatural superintelligent creator. Whether that's a deistic God. Or a theistic God be it Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Apollo or whatever.
That is what I mean by God. A supernatural superintelligent creator. Be it deistic or theistic. You can pick either one or both. I'm not talking about one particular. I am interested in what it would take for you to believe in any God at all. Whether that be deistic or theistic. So you can answer either or both. I'm not just interested in theistic, I'm interested in deistic too. And vice versa.
Oy I got a headache now [Image: freak5.gif]
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
Lol - I am defining God as: a supernatural superintelligent creator/designer of the universe whether deist or theist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on mind miaharun 19 1015 March 3, 2022 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2900 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3509 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9481 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6579 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7739 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 13688 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Is a sea change on the horizon? Angrboda 5 590 July 22, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Satirical logic for the atheistic mind Drich 158 18169 June 13, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63224 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII