Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's Child(ren)?
God's Child(ren)?
I’ve started taking notes during sermons to stave off boredom and to give myself some ammo for any debates I may find myself getting into with a Christian. Even though last Sunday was the first time that I started taking notes, I believe I’ve found a very interesting discrepancy in one of the Bible verses my pastor quoted.

For the sermon, my pastor quoted part of Genesis 6:4 (King James Version): “There were giants in the earth in those days...” My pastor conveniently forgot to quote the rest of the passage, which reads, “...and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.”

Now, if I have read the Bible correctly, Jesus is supposed to be the son of God. “And lo a voice from heaven, saying, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:17; KJV).

If I were to take the Bible literally, this one verse in Genesis would be a blatant discrepancy that would make me seriously question the validity of Jesus’ claim to be the son of God. I’d like to point out that the phrase “sons of God” does not magically disappear in other translations [Here’s a link to an online Bible--->[http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=KJV]. However, if I were to make a more moderate interpretation of this particular verse (the phrase “sons of God” referring to angels instead of multiple sons of God), there is still an issue as to why the writers/editors of the Bible did not rewrite this verse to fit more evenly with the New Testament. If God indeed had more than one son (i.e. Jesus), is it possible that there could be “grandchildren of God?” It's a strange question, I know, but it's one that has been on my mind for the past couple of days.[/align]

What is your take on these verses?
"If your god has to make peace with me in my final hour when he has my whole lifetime to prove his existence to me...do you think I should bother?"

"But the happiness of an atheist is neither the vacuous enjoyment of a fool, nor the short-lived pleasure of a rogue. It is rather the expression of a disposition that has ceased to torture itself with foolish fancies, or perplex itself with useless beliefs." - Chapman Cohen
RE: God's Child(ren)?
oh! oh! shit, there's a podcast I listened to that interviewed Bob M Price (*great* resource for you, btw) where he discussed this particular portion of the OT. It won't answer all of your post, but it'll give you some interesting insight. Soon as I get home from work I'll check my files. Also, there's an episode of the podcast "Monster Talk" that discusses giants and how people came to think there were any with an archaeologist - also worth a listen. It's an entertaining podcast no matter what - sort of a rebuttal to the "Monster Quest" on the pseudo-History Channel. They try to lay science next to cryptozoology, and in the process a lot of good stuff about evolution and the scientific method comes out.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Thank you so much for the info! I will try to find that podcast!
"If your god has to make peace with me in my final hour when he has my whole lifetime to prove his existence to me...do you think I should bother?"

"But the happiness of an atheist is neither the vacuous enjoyment of a fool, nor the short-lived pleasure of a rogue. It is rather the expression of a disposition that has ceased to torture itself with foolish fancies, or perplex itself with useless beliefs." - Chapman Cohen
If I can recommend a few others, Dogma Free America discusses various religious wrong doings and such in America and around the world. Rich Orman is freakin' hilarious in a very dry style. It's worth downloading them all and starting from the beginning. Also Skeptoid is an excellent podcast.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
There is a great deal of dispute about the word which is (apparently poorly) translated as "Giants."

Quote:The word nephilim is from the root nun-peh-lamed, which means to fall. The meaning of the word nephilim, at its simplest interpretation, is the fallen ones or the fallible ones.

Most translations admit that they do not know what the word means and simply use the term "nephilim" without translation. However, there is always the abysmal KJV which fundies swear by and that notoriously lousy translation persists in using the incorrect term "giants." Figures. Garbage in - garbage out.

http://bible.cc/genesis/6-4.htm

(October 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: There is a great deal of dispute about the word which is (apparently poorly) translated as "Giants."

Quote:The word nephilim is from the root nun-peh-lamed, which means to fall. The meaning of the word nephilim, at its simplest interpretation, is the fallen ones or the fallible ones.

Most translations admit that they do not know what the word means and simply use the term "nephilim" without translation. However, there is always the abysmal KJV which fundies swear by and that notoriously lousy translation persists in using the incorrect term "giants." Figures. Garbage in - garbage out.

Now that you mention it, I thought it was strange how all of the translations except the KJV used the term "nephilim" instead of "giants." Hmm...is it possible that the KJV translators made up the story of David and Goliath to go along with their translation in Genesis 6:4? Tongue

(October 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm)Jonah Wrote:
(October 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: There is a great deal of dispute about the word which is (apparently poorly) translated as "Giants."

Now that you mention it, I thought it was strange how all of the translations except the KJV used the term "nephilim" instead of "giants." Hmm...is it possible that the KJV translators made up the story of David and Goliath to go along with their translation in Genesis 6:4? Tongue

I suggest you read, in this order, Israel Finkelstein's "The Bible Unearthed" and then "David and Solomon."

In the last 30 years, archaeology has trashed the OT. It's plain bullshit.
I'll have to look into those books. Thanks for the tip!

Speaking of David and Solomon, I forgot to mention in my original post was the genealogy of Jesus. If Jesus was supposed to be born of a virgin, why does he even [i]have[\i] a genealogy? Joseph wasn't his biological father, so why would he have a bloodline?

(October 27, 2010 at 6:01 pm)Jonah Wrote: I'll have to look into those books. Thanks for the tip!

Speaking of David and Solomon, I forgot to mention in my original post was the genealogy of Jesus. If Jesus was supposed to be born of a virgin, why does he even [i]have[\i] a genealogy? Joseph wasn't his biological father, so why would he have a bloodline?

Blood line though his mother?

Quote:Blood line though his mother?

Neither version even says that. It's just a load of crap.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 151 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3548 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses zebo-the-fat 3 806 May 23, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3306 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Victims 'told not to report' Jehovah's Witness child abuse zebo-the-fat 13 2735 November 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3424 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yet another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 18 2169 April 13, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Another child molesting priest zebo-the-fat 4 1110 August 10, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Find Your Child A Mate Nope 45 7012 March 8, 2015 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  AFA: Impregnated by a rapist? "Why kill a child made in God’s image?" Strider 54 7668 December 22, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: No_God