Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion is overly serious
Religion is overly serious
Religious people dislike jokes about religion (their religion at the very least). I know some moderates that may accept jokes about priests that care only about money and stuff like that, but they would dislike any joke about saints and gods (Maybe not all moderates are like that, but the ones I know surely are). Some won't accept even that, years ago I've told my dad some jokes about corrupted priests, and he said that religion shouldn't be made fun of. 
Why? Joking about something doesn't automatically mean putting it in a negative light. In fact, the Chuck Norris jokes portray him as awesome. If God were real, shouldn't He be flattered and amused to be praised in a comedic way? If you're a believer and you think that your god doesn't want this kind of praise, it means that he doesn't have a sense of humour, so he isn't all knowing. If you follow a religion because it makes you feel happy, and you rather imagine a god than believe in him then why imagine such a serious one? 
Also, there are many serious things that are joked about. There are jokes about scientific discoveries, scientists aren't offended by them, some of them will even make jokes like that. There are parodies of smart famous people, they don't feel offended as long as they aren't put in a bad light. There are parodies of good movies, they don't necessarily claim that these movies are bad.
I think that religion presents itself as serious because it's teachings are mostly shit. Most of them are laughable no matter how you present them. If they were taught in a comedic way, most of the populatin would see them as nothing more than jokes. It would be harder to manipulate the masses.
As an atheist I don't feel offended by jokes about atheism. In fact, I adore jokes like that as long as they are good. If a joke is unfunny, but has a good message (if it has a message), I'm just unimpressed. If a joke has a bad message, I know that the one who made it doesn't know any better, so I'm not mad about it. You are more likely to meet an atheis joking about atheism than a religious joking about religion.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Religion is overly serious
Quote:“No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

— Robert G. Ingersoll
Religion takes itself too seriously? NO KIDDING.
-and yet it's all so silly.  Delicious irony.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Maybe that is because those who believe in the all-everything god of fundamentalism are throwing their belief toward something which purports to be the most mega-important and omni-necessary thing of all.  Once you've decided to place this god thingy above yourself you have to work hard to keep in on your side and avoid pissing it off at all cost.  Nothing to joke around about once you've painted yourself into that corner.
(November 4, 2017 at 2:25 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Maybe that is because those who believe in the all-everything god of fundamentalism are throwing their belief toward something which purports to be the most mega-important and omni-necessary thing of all.  Once you've decided to place this god thingy above yourself you have to work hard to keep in on your side and avoid pissing it off at all cost.  Nothing to joke around about once you've painted yourself into that corner.

Yep, like any good Ponzy scheme, once you start lying to yourself, it is easy to lie to others. Once you convince yourself, rather than admit you might be wrong, most humans try to sell what they were sold. 

But, to be fair to my fellow humans, most humans no matter where they live in the world, get sold the myths of antiquity when they are kids long before they have a chance to actually think about it.

I can remember how angry I got at other kids who were older than me when they told me Santa wasn't real. I fought that for a while.
(November 4, 2017 at 2:24 pm)Khemikal Wrote: -and yet it's all so silly.  Delicious irony.

I don't know how they can listen to men in silly hats and keep a straight face, even when these men are dictating to them how they should live their lives.
And I really don't know why the burning bush joke never gets a laugh.
(November 4, 2017 at 2:46 pm)Cod Wrote:
(November 4, 2017 at 2:24 pm)Khemikal Wrote: -and yet it's all so silly.  Delicious irony.

I don't know how they can listen to men in silly hats and keep a straight face, even when these men are dictating to them how they should live their lives.
And I really don't know why the burning bush joke never gets a laugh.

Well, even with mere suits in politics, just because you wear one doesn't mean you are squeaky clean, IE, look at the orange guerrilla crapping all over the White House.

God put religion there so he could laugh at the people who believed in bullshit. He's a deist god. Religion is false but there is a god. Or was until the god that created the universe blew its own brains out shouting "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!?" after a bunch of religious people mascaraed each other. That's totally what happened.
May God guide our hearts to the proper vision of love so that our hearts become the valuer that has visions that are based on truth.

It harms us and this laughter is a disease that keeps people from uniting on the truth.  Not only do Atheists laugh and mock religion, but most religious people, take it more of a game and plaything, and don't give it the proper due, and this especially true of those who take leadership authoritative roles with respect to it.

Leadership is a sacred position when it comes to guiding humans in their purpose.

It is not meant to be mocked and none but God's pure chosen exalted servants supposed to hold this position.

It is because we have taken the issue of leadership as a joke, that we are ruled today by people who are a joke.  Of course there is not funny about the spiritual and physical harms that all result in this mocking attitude we have taken....

Because we laugh so hard at the issue of guidance, guidance itself becomes an issue of mockery and becomes a laughingstock to Satan and his forces.

This disease hardly escapes anyone, and the cure to it is serious resolve to be guided uponthe truth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6632 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 2995 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10717 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19815 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Embrace Judeo-Christian culture and values! Is this politician serious? Greatest I am 14 3454 February 9, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49305 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Serious Q: Is it a sin to receive a blow job from a robot? Mudhammam 5 1458 August 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  A Serious Question For Theists Severan 349 56410 June 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused