Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Ryan Criticized over "Thoughts and Prayers" Comment
Paul Ryan Criticized over "Thoughts and Prayers" Comment
The platitudes regarding tragedies are indeed quite tiresome.  And a lot of people agree.

Quote:Thousands of people have attacked U.S. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan on Twitter after he asked for prayers in the Sutherland Springs, Texas church shooting. At least 20 people have been killed and at least 10 injured in the November 5, 2017 shooting. The suspect has been identified as 26 year old Devin Patrick Kelley. He was killed after a short chase.
Many people are lashing out on Twitter at Paul Ryan calling for gun control, not prayers. This is his Tweet followed by the heated responses.
 --http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index...itter.html

Ryan's response?:

Quote:“It’s disappointing, it’s sad, and this is what you’ll get from the far secular left. People who do not have faith don’t understand faith, I guess I’d have to say. And it is the right thing to do is to pray in moments like this, because you know what? Prayer works. And I know you believe that, and I believe that and when you hear the secular left doing this thing, it’s no wonder you have so much polarization and disunity in this country when people think like that.”
--http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/pa...b51181be67

Excuse me, but when religious people claim that their imaginary friend is so damn powerful that he, she, it can create an entire universe from nothing but does not do shit to protect his/her (hmmm...do gods have genitals?)/it's worshipers in his building of worship,  then I would have to say no, prayer does not work.

No, the disunity is not seculars' fault. You conservative religious theocratic Dominionist traitorous scumbags started the damn culture war!!
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: Paul Ryan Criticized over "Thoughts and Prayers" Comment
Flaunting belief in God +1
Uniting his base against an "other" +1
Diverting attention away from the issue +1
Not having to address the cries for gun control +1

Somebody check Ryan's board, he might have BINGO.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Thoughts and prayers work so well they prevented 6 million Jews from being gassed.

Thoughts and prayers work so well Martin Luther King Jr is still alive.

Thoughts and prayers work so well Polly Klass is still alive.

Thoughts and prayers worked so well Sandy Hook was prevented.
Bet he can't walk and chew gum at the same time either.

Fine Paul, pray. Then get off your collective asses and do something.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It'll take the rest of the session to write and pass the Right to Pray for Families after Tragedies Act of 2017.  Sure, they'd -like- to do something about it, but they just wont have time, sorry, those are the rules, and rules are rules.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 7, 2017 at 3:00 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Bet he can't walk and chew gum at the same time either.

Fine Paul, pray. Then get off your collective asses and do something.

To be fair, neither Paul Ryan, God, Allah, Yahweh, Buddha, Vishnu, nor Ayn Rand can walk and chew gum at the same time.

We as a species however CAN accept we are not a separate species.
Ryan is a pandering pile of shit.
(November 7, 2017 at 3:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Ryan is a pandering pile of shit.

That is not news to the sane. 

He loves atheist Ayn Rand, "fuck you I got mine" economics. I could give one shit less she was an atheist, nor that a theist like him supports her horrible economics. Just as much as I hate other atheists thinking Che, who lead to Castro's communist Cuba was a good idea. Lots of atheists supported asshole Che too.
(November 7, 2017 at 2:48 pm)Aegon Wrote: Flaunting belief in God +1
Uniting his base against an "other" +1
Diverting attention away from the issue +1
Not having to address the cries for gun control +1

Somebody check Ryan's board, he might have BINGO.

Not quite, he needs to find some way to blame all this on furriners or niggers.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
What's wrong with offering thoughts and prayers?

The people who died were all Christian, obviously. If it brings any sense of peace or comfort to their families to be offered prayers, then why would anyone have a problem with it?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Irish government to apologise over mother-and-baby homes zebo-the-fat 6 445 January 12, 2021 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Paul Krassner Dies! chimp3 1 255 July 22, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Paul Ryan Really Did Have Brass Balls. Minimalist 0 216 December 1, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rand Paul: The Postman Awlays Betrays Twice Minimalist 2 284 August 8, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Fucking Paul Ryan - No Balls Minimalist 7 953 May 4, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Any thoughts on SE Cupp's take on Hillary and Melania? brewer 8 985 March 28, 2018 at 3:54 pm
  Dust Off Those Thoughts and Prayers... Minimalist 5 937 January 23, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Little Gift From Paul Ryan Minimalist 8 1044 November 18, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  I'm Sick of this Thoughts And Prayers, Horseshit Minimalist 63 10610 October 5, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Sarah's comment on "Mucchi"....... Brian37 1 357 August 2, 2017 at 10:06 am