Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Atheists Believe in the Supernatural?
Do Atheists Believe in the Supernatural?
I have a curious question and I don't want to lump all atheists, including myself, into one group of non-believers of the supernatural. Obviously I don't believe in god or a creator. I do believe we naturally evolved. So, without a heaven there can be no afterlife....right?

I would really like to hear what others think about ghosts, hauntings and things that go bump in the night. I personally have never experienced such phenomenon; although I may have convined myself that I saw or heard something when I was a teenager with a ouija board and an overactive imagination. Thinking

Please share your thoughts on this subject. I'm sure it has been discussed to naseum but I am a virgin atheist so would love to know what the general concensus is.
RE: Do Atheists Believe in the Supernatural?
Humans have an almost unlimited ability to scare the shit out of themselves by inventing stories about shit like this.

I do not personally believe in anything 'supernatural', and certainly not ghosts and the like. To answer your question the way it is worded, though...

"Do atheists believe in the supernatural?" The only possible correct answer is: Some do, some don't. I do think it would be safe to say that the vast majority of atheists probably don't, though.
I believe I am supernaturally attractive to women.
(November 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm)Chuck Wrote: I believe I am supernaturally attractive to women.

No, that's called Rohypnol.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(November 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm)Jazzykatt Wrote: I have a curious question and I don't want to lump all atheists, including myself, into one group of non-believers of the supernatural. Obviously I don't believe in god or a creator. I do believe we naturally evolved. So, without a heaven there can be no afterlife....right?

I would really like to hear what others think about ghosts, hauntings and things that go bump in the night. I personally have never experienced such phenomenon; although I may have convined myself that I saw or heard something when I was a teenager with a ouija board and an overactive imagination. Thinking

Please share your thoughts on this subject. I'm sure it has been discussed to naseum but I am a virgin atheist so would love to know what the general concensus is.

Everything stems from an Epistemology for me, a theory of knowledge and justification. No supernatural events that have ever been proposed to exist come close to satisfying my epistemic standards, nor can my epistemology shown to be false and simultaneously an epistemology that is logically coherent and permits supernatural belief is shown to be true.

My epistemology (2 stage Evidentialist Reliabilism):

1. Acquisition of belief (Reliabilism)

A belief that P is not unreasonableIF AND ONLY IF it is a belief that is arrived at by reliable mechanism AND ONLY UNTIL that belief is examined.

2. Examination (Evidentialism)

A belief that P is Justified IF AND ONLY IF it is a belief that is supported by evidence. ELSE the belief that P is unreasonable.

For example, I am not unreasonable (but not justified) in believing that my old flatmate is across the street in a crowd if I perceive him with my senses (visual identification is reliable) ONLY UNTIL I examine my belief. Upon examination (for example security camera footage) I am either Justified in my belief because it is supported by evidence OR I am unreasonable if my belief that P is unsupported.
Supernatural is something that can't be explained by natural laws. So if a supernatural event occurs, than we are wrong about natural laws so we need to find out true natural laws . therefore Supernatural is not and never will be exists.(except the tv series..)
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
(November 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm)annatar Wrote: Supernatural is something that can't be explained by natural laws. So if a supernatural event occurs, than we are wrong about natural laws so we need to find out true natural laws . therefore Supernatural is not and never will be exists.(except the tv series..)

Agreed. If something happens, then it is natural. Supernatural events are events that can't happen.
I do. I think there are supernatural forces that keep Ben Affleck in the acting business. There's no other explanation.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(November 5, 2010 at 12:07 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: I do. I think there are supernatural forces that keep Ben Affleck in the acting business. There's no other explanation.

It's amazing what one half decent movie can do for someones career, despite making several of the worst movies ever *cough*Daredevil*cough*.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5244 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10010 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Exclamation Supernatural and Atheism Eclectic 322 26520 January 3, 2023 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2341 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3211 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2198 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Supernatural Evidence? Soldat Du Christ 266 27419 November 13, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Can't prove the supernatural God maestroanth 235 22090 June 4, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: SilverFrog
  Do Supernatural Horror Movies Scare You? PhilosophicalZebra 24 5168 July 10, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas Won2blv 12 3605 May 17, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist