Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epistemic challenge to theists.
Epistemic challenge to theists.
Here I propose an Epistemology that I argue is entirely coherent and suffers none of the normal epistemic problems for Justification, such as the lottery problem, the new evil demon problem etc. I will argue that this epistemology is entirely consistent with reality and that no examples to the contrary can fault it.

I challenge the theists (or atheists) to either 1) refute my epistemology OR 2) come up with an epistemology that is coherent, consistent and demonstrates that your beliefs are justified.

My epistemology (2 stage Evidentialist Reliabilism):

1. Acquisition of belief (Reliabilism)

A belief that P is not unreasonableIF AND ONLY IF it is a belief that is arrived at by reliable mechanism AND ONLY UNTIL that belief is examined.

2. Examination (Evidentialism)

A belief that P is Justified IF AND ONLY IF it is a belief that is supported by evidence. ELSE the belief that P is unreasonable.

For example, I am not unreasonable (but not justified) in believing that my old flatmate is across the street in a crowd if I perceive him with my senses (visual identification is reliable) ONLY UNTIL I examine my belief. Upon examination (for example security camera footage) I am either Justified in my belief because it is supported by evidence OR I am unreasonable if my belief that P is unsupported.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate Challenge TruthisGod 127 19628 November 20, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Open challenge regarding the supernatural robvalue 38 6046 May 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Open Debate Challenge: Historical Jesus DeistPaladin 0 1683 May 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin