Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life is nothing
Life is nothing
If we are just created by chance and nothing else, then what's the point of living if in the end, we are just gonna die and be forgotten? If we are nothing but a bunch of cells and sperms that had evolved over time, then why must we care and love one another? And no, saying that we need others to survive is not an valid answer. I don't care about surviving. If life's is just about surviving, then that means we should only care about ourselves and nothing else. So that means that hospitals and medicine and things like that should not exist. Nothing in ever matters so we might as well die and not exist since nothing we ever do as humans will accomplish a single thing. So why bother? God does not exist. Heaven does not exist. Spirits don't exist. The only thing that exists is just us in a dark, empty void with a bunch of gases that we call the universe. That's it. So we should need to live a long, happy life since we will just die and soon be forgotten and wither away. Life comes from nothing, death means we become nothing, therefore life itself means absolutely nothing. I hate atheism.
RE: Life is nothing
(January 4, 2018 at 5:10 pm)Mikeykitty123 Wrote: If we are just created by chance and nothing else, then what's the point of living if in the end, we are just gonna die and be forgotten?
Well, firstly, IDK if that's an accurate summary of -any- position on how we got here...but...it;s a question that doesn't go away if we got here by some "other".  

We're still going to die and be forgotten.  That's what happens.  Does that sour it for you?  Must you be permanent and present in mind for all time in order to see any point in drawing breath?  

Quote:If we are nothing but a bunch of cells and sperms that had evolved over time, then why must we care and love one another?
Are you asking about your own individual motivation, or?

Quote:And no, saying that we need others to survive is not an valid answer.
OFC it is, if you're asking for what motivations there are that;s one of them..a cynical one usually referenced as a last resort, but it compells some to cooperate even when they don;t want to for whatever reason.

Quote:I don't care about surviving.
Perhaps that's just you?  Others might find their desire to survive wholly more compelling.  

Quote:If life's is just about surviving, then that means we should only care about ourselves and nothing else. So that means that hospitals and medicine and things like that should not exist. Nothing in ever matters so we might as well die and not exist since nothing we ever do as humans will accomplish a single thing. So why bother?
You provided one answer to that question in asking it.  Self interest.  I would hope it;s at the bottom of anyone's list as to what the point of life or why they love anyone...but it's there.

Quote:God does not exist. Heaven does not exist. Spirits don't exist. The only thing that exists is just us in a dark, empty void with a bunch of gases that we call the universe. That's it. So we should need to live a long, happy life since we will just die and soon be forgotten and wither away. Life comes from nothing, death means we become nothing, therefore life itself means absolutely nothing. I hate atheism.
People generally use the term "therefore" when some conclusion flows from prior propositions.  Yours doesn't......and I;m not sure why it makes you hate atheism, whatever that means.  Atheism didn't make the world that way, if that's the way the world is...lol.

Welcome aboard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 4, 2018 at 5:24 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(January 4, 2018 at 5:10 pm)Mikeykitty123 Wrote: If we are just created by chance and nothing else, then what's the point of living if in the end, we are just gonna die and be forgotten?
Well, firstly, IDK if that's an accurate summary of -any- position on how we got here...but...it;s a question that doesn't go away if we got here by some "other".  

We're still going to die and be forgotten.  That's what happens.  Does that sour it for you?  Must you be permanent and present in mind for all time in order to see any point in drawing breath?  

Quote:If we are nothing but a bunch of cells and sperms that had evolved over time, then why must we care and love one another?
Are you asking about your own individual motivation, or?

Quote:And no, saying that we need others to survive is not an valid answer.
OFC it is, if you're asking for what motivations there are that;s one of them..a cynical one usually referenced as a last resort, but it compells some to cooperate even when they don;t want to for whatever reason.

Quote:I don't care about surviving.
Perhaps that's just you?  Others might find their desire to survive wholly more compelling.  

Quote:If life's is just about surviving, then that means we should only care about ourselves and nothing else. So that means that hospitals and medicine and things like that should not exist. Nothing in ever matters so we might as well die and not exist since nothing we ever do as humans will accomplish a single thing. So why bother?
You provided one answer to that question in asking it.  Self interest.  I would hope it;s at the bottom of anyone's list as to what the point of life or why they love anyone...but it's there.

Quote:God does not exist. Heaven does not exist. Spirits don't exist. The only thing that exists is just us in a dark, empty void with a bunch of gases that we call the universe. That's it. So we should need to live a long, happy life since we will just die and soon be forgotten and wither away. Life comes from nothing, death means we become nothing, therefore life itself means absolutely nothing. I hate atheism.
People generally use the term "therefore" when some conclusion flows from prior propositions.  Yours doesn't......and I;m not sure why it makes you hate atheism, whatever that means.  Atheism didn't make the world that way, if that's the way the world is...lol.

Welcome aboard.
Survival is not a answer since we are far past the point when it comes to "surviving". And also, I'll let you know that once again, what's the point of living if life was simply created by chance? That would mean we were not ever meant to exist.
(January 4, 2018 at 5:10 pm)Mikeykitty123 Wrote: If we are just created by chance and nothing else, then what's the point of living if in the end, we are just gonna die and be forgotten? If we are nothing but a bunch of cells and sperms that had evolved over time, then why must we care and love one another? And no, saying that we need others to survive is not an valid answer. I don't care about surviving. If life's is just about surviving, then that means we should only care about ourselves and nothing else. So that means that hospitals and medicine and things like that should not exist. Nothing in ever matters so we might as well die and not exist since nothing we ever do as humans will accomplish a single thing. So why bother? God does not exist. Heaven does not exist. Spirits don't exist. The only thing that exists is just us in a dark, empty void with a bunch of gases that we call the universe. That's it. So we should need to live a long, happy life since we will just die and soon be forgotten and wither away. Life comes from nothing, death means we become nothing, therefore life itself means absolutely nothing. I hate atheism.

If you really believe this,you'd have had a gun to your temple as you typed and be dead before you read this reply. People who criticize the purpose of life tend to have an uncanny survival rate.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Somehow, I manage to avoid all of those things the OP is complaining about.

Perhaps the issue here is that the OP thinks his life has no value or meaning. Well, I can't help you with that, but I can say that the things the OP claims ain't necessarily so.
(January 4, 2018 at 5:31 pm)Mikeykitty123 Wrote: Survival is not a answer since we are far past the point when it comes to "surviving". And also, I'll let you know that once again, what's the point of living if life was simply created by chance? That would mean we were not ever meant to exist.

Okay, but, you pretty much have to recognize that the strongest way you can phrase this is that survival is not an answer -to you-.  It certainly isn't the reason that I love or live, either.  Nevertheless, if we had nothing else, we would always have that compelling self interest.

What are you letting me know?  I thought you were asking a question.  Why would there be more or less of a point to living based off whether we were created by chance or some "other"?   Who thinks we were "simply created by chance" in the first place?

Perhaps we weren't meant to exist, perhaps that;s because the universe doesn't have any intentions...but so what?  What does that have to do with the point of your life or of you loving?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 4, 2018 at 5:10 pm)Mikeykitty123 Wrote: If we are just created by chance and nothing else, then what's the point of living if in the end, we are just gonna die and be forgotten? If we are nothing but a bunch of cells and sperms that had evolved over time, then why must we care and love one another? And no, saying that we need others to survive is not an valid answer. I don't care about surviving. If life's is just about surviving, then that means we should only care about ourselves and nothing else. So that means that hospitals and medicine and things like that should not exist. Nothing in ever matters so we might as well die and not exist since nothing we ever do as humans will accomplish a single thing. So why bother? God does not exist. Heaven does not exist. Spirits don't exist. The only thing that exists is just us in a dark, empty void with a bunch of gases that we call the universe. That's it. So we should need to live a long, happy life since we will just die and soon be forgotten and wither away. Life comes from nothing, death means we become nothing, therefore life itself means absolutely nothing. I hate atheism.

yada yada yada

This post is meaningless, too. Trai moar.

(January 4, 2018 at 5:31 pm)Mikeykitty123 Wrote: And also, I'll let you know that once again, what's the point of living if life was simply created by chance? That would mean we were not ever meant to exist.

Life has no intrinsic meaning. Put on your big-boy britches and come up with your own meaning, like everyone else, including theists, do.

[Image: NyGqyNTC_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
That's a lot of questions.

I have two for you of my own.

1) Why would we need a point/reason/whatever anyway?
2) Could hypothetically a life with preset value not be concidered less valuable than one in which no such value is determined by anything but those things that in their finite time and space arise?

I don't need you to feel anyway about these two questions, but they might be worth pondering over. You don't need to solve or answer them, just think.

Welcome to our little band of heathens.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
Quote:I hate atheism.

Odd choice of message boards to join, then.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3093 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3677 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1389 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Everything & Nothing possibletarian 0 694 January 13, 2020 at 5:42 am
Last Post: possibletarian
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2088 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3106 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2893 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9911 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, cali0 38 6848 November 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why there is something rather than nothing... Jehanne 43 7772 August 28, 2016 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Arkilogue