Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your hobbies/hobby ideas
Your hobbies/hobby ideas
Pretty self explanatory. I need more hobbies. I'd like to hear yours so I can get some ideas of things to try out.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Your hobbies/hobby ideas
Serial killi

Surfing.
Sky diving
I collect books on archaeology
Dying to live, living to die.
I love trivia nights.

I also love going to new meetup.com meetups in my area. I plan on going to at least one a week here when I get my finances in order.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I'm an avid gamer. Used to do pen and paper games (Dungeons and Dragons, and the like).
I've written some really shitty/moody/angsty poetry in the past.
I program (as in, web programming).

I'm pretty sure my interests are more nerdy than you're looking for/interested in. Undecided
(January 14, 2018 at 10:00 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I collect books on archaeology

Book collecting is a great hobby. You can buy a lot of second hand hardcover books online for relatively cheap. It comes in handy too when you need to look up some obscure that might not be found online.

I like board games a lot. Having a huge collection of board games can leave you prepared for eventualities like stagnation at a party or a bunch of yelling, screaming kids visiting your house. There are some really neat board games on the market these days.
I'm pretty much sports and movies. I follow soccer the must (duh) through telecasts as well as Twitter news and podcasts. I also like to go to games at the local university, and have tried out various sports teams there, like water polo, softball, baseball, tennis, etc. When I get back to Miami from Haiti in mid-Feb, I might go watch women's basketball at the University of Miami ('Canes vs. Seminoles), if I can find it (I do also like transit).

Movies are pretty much whatever is playing in my neighborhood, which is very eclectic (the main LGBT area, which has a place to see foreign and art films).

I suppose music has become a hobby. I feel like I am literally all over the map with my tastes, but I am somewhat knowledgable about music. Indie, old jazz, and drone are my favorites, but lately, I have reacquainted with the 80's and 90's pop and punk that I ignored in my childhood in favor of Kenny G and Enya. Also, I have taken to liking ambient techno. This is all thanks to Spotify and various electic radio stations that are on the web as well as on air in their respective media markets. KEXP - Seattle, WMNF - Tampa, WYEP - Pittsburgh (PA). Etc.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Making music
(January 14, 2018 at 10:18 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(January 14, 2018 at 10:00 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I collect books on archaeology

Book collecting is a great hobby. You can buy a lot of second hand hardcover books online for relatively cheap. It comes in handy too when you need to look up some obscure that might not be found online.

I like board games a lot. Having a huge collection of board games can leave you prepared for eventualities like stagnation at a party or a bunch of yelling, screaming kids visiting your house. There are some really neat board games on the market these days.

"yelling, screaming kids visiting your house"? I have a cage for them to fight in. J/K, though there were times...

My spawn hasn't seen fit to provide the wife and me with grandchildren to spoil rotten, so that game stuff is laying fallow.

I read. I hike. I do woodworking, woodcarving and coppersmithing, and repair and/or maintain my remaining vehicle (a '70 Chevrolet 3/4 ton truck that I use to pull our travel trailer) that isn't newer and under warranty. I have a lot of old texts from university that, when the urge strikes me, I work an old math or physics homework problem or two. That urge strikes me less and less as I age. I also perform most of the repairs and remodeling of my current home. I just finished a ton of work on my mother in law's house so that we could rent it out. Being retired is not a state of rest, believe me.

Also, surfing the internet. Big time mouse potato. Confused

Don't get into any of my hobbies. They are expensive to get into.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Music takes up most of my free time.  I play clarinet, flute and alto sax in two regular-season bands and one summertime band, and continue to take clarinet lessons.

I like winter activities like cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.

Last year I got serious about astronomy, and have gone on an eclipse trip and to several local observation events.  Don't have a telescope yet, but I do have binoculars strong enough to show lots of detail on the moon and pick out a few nebulae and galaxies.

Also an art dabbler (mixture of painting, sculpture, and doing absurd things with Photoshop).
(January 14, 2018 at 11:08 pm)Hammy Wrote: Making music

I Just finished this new song actually:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Hobbies Did You Have As A Kid? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 2161 November 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  Anal Intercourse is a Dangerous Hobby Agnostico 153 8331 February 16, 2020 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  What's Your Hobby Amarok 22 1896 March 16, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  I need Ideas trev22 29 5066 March 22, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: trev22
  Ideas Azu 23 1977 February 20, 2017 at 12:12 am
Last Post: chimp3
  I'm looking for good recipe ideas for the foods that I usually buy from the store WisdomOfTheTrees 1 725 February 5, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Bathroom renovation ideas... Aractus 0 527 September 11, 2016 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Oh, shit! This is an expensive new hobby, OMFG ! vorlon13 43 7141 August 23, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Any ideas? Expired 27 2903 July 10, 2016 at 6:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Anyone got a hobby .. or is that what computer games are for? Whateverist 53 5602 November 26, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Heywood