Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting Water Bottles Out of Our Lives
Cutting Water Bottles Out of Our Lives
Tibs and I make some conscious efforts to be more sustainable and have less of an impact on the environment. However, like any good consumers, we fall short of the mark. One of the ways we did this was to go through cases of water bottles a week. I had some real anxiety about switching to tap, despite knowing that filtered water is perfectly safe. Knowing doesn't matter with anxiety. Anyway, I finally resolved this year to stop fucking around and switch to filtered water. We got a Brita pitcher filter, which is fine for us because there is no fluoride in our water supply to be filtered out (we get plenty from our dental hygiene routines). We bought some cool refillable, dishwasher-safe water bottles. Within a day of switching, I was completely used to the new routine. I fill my bottle, refill the pitcher and move on with my life. We do have to get some smaller bottles for sneaking into the movie theater, but we're great other than that.

My point is, if you're thinking of cutting water bottles out of your life, it's easy. It's cheap too. We paid a little over $30 for the pitcher, maybe $20 for water bottles and filters are around $10 (we need them about twice a year). I did the math and we've saved more than $100 this year. Next year, we'll save even more because we don't have to buy a pitcher. Oh, I forgot to mention that we don't have to recycle and we take the trash out less. It's an all-around win.
RE: Cutting Water Bottles Out of Our Lives
It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes in terms of trash produced. All my neighbors have trash bags full of plastic bottles every time and we only throw out a bag once every two months or so, ever since we got this filter machine thing. We have this little tap installed and we also have refillable bottles. It tastes better than bottled water too, imo, and feels nicer.
Good choice, and good info! We never used water bottles ourselves. Bad for the environment and not cost efficient. We have a filter and reusable water bottles for when we need to take water with us.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 25, 2018 at 1:07 pm)Shell B Wrote: Tibs and I make some conscious efforts to be more sustainable and have less of an impact on the environment. However, like any good consumers, we fall short of the mark. One of the ways we did this was to go through cases of water bottles a week. I had some real anxiety about switching to tap, despite knowing that filtered water is perfectly safe. Knowing doesn't matter with anxiety. Anyway, I finally resolved this year to stop fucking around and switch to filtered water. We got a Brita pitcher filter, which is fine for us because there is no fluoride in our water supply to be filtered out (we get plenty from our dental hygiene routines). We bought some cool refillable, dishwasher-safe water bottles. Within a day of switching, I was completely used to the new routine. I fill my bottle, refill the pitcher and move on with my life. We do have to get some smaller bottles for sneaking into the movie theater, but we're great other than that.

My point is, if you're thinking of cutting water bottles out of your life, it's easy. It's cheap too. We paid a little over $30 for the pitcher, maybe $20 for water bottles and filters are around $10 (we need them about twice a year). I did the math and we've saved more than $100 this year. Next year, we'll save even more because we don't have to buy a pitcher. Oh, I forgot to mention that we don't have to recycle and we take the trash out less. It's an all-around win.

That’s awesome! I never could get used to the flavor of tap water so I have 4 gallons that I can refill for 33 cents each at the grocery store.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Bottled water is just filtered tap water anyway...hell...sometimes they don't even filter it, they figure the municipal supply has already been filtered enough and consumers obviously can't be bothered to find that out or care if they did.

I miss the unfiltered sulfur water from s. fl, and the hard yellow shit from n. florida. The stuff up here comes out smelling like bleach. We've got a big Brita box pitcher too. I aint payin nobody for no bottles, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 25, 2018 at 1:07 pm)Shell B Wrote: Tibs and I make some conscious efforts to be more sustainable and have less of an impact on the environment. However, like any good consumers, we fall short of the mark. One of the ways we did this was to go through cases of water bottles a week. I had some real anxiety about switching to tap, despite knowing that filtered water is perfectly safe. Knowing doesn't matter with anxiety. Anyway, I finally resolved this year to stop fucking around and switch to filtered water. We got a Brita pitcher filter, which is fine for us because there is no fluoride in our water supply to be filtered out (we get plenty from our dental hygiene routines). We bought some cool refillable, dishwasher-safe water bottles. Within a day of switching, I was completely used to the new routine. I fill my bottle, refill the pitcher and move on with my life. We do have to get some smaller bottles for sneaking into the movie theater, but we're great other than that.

And you won't be able to chew the water if you don't get that fluoride.
(January 25, 2018 at 1:32 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

And you won't be able to chew the water if you don't get that fluoride.

Actually, we get plenty of fluoride from our dental products, so it's smart not to overdo it with extra in the water supply. It can cause staining of the teeth.

(January 25, 2018 at 1:31 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Bottled water is just filtered tap water anyway...hell...sometimes they don't even filter it, they figure the municipal supply has already been filtered enough and consumers obviously can't be bothered to find that out or care if they did.

I miss the unfiltered sulfur water from s. fl, and the hard yellow shit from n. florida.  The stuff up here comes out smelling like bleach.  We've got a big Brita box pitcher too.  I aint payin nobody for no bottles, lol.

I didn't drink filtered water. I drank spring water. You can definitely taste the difference. Still, the filtered Brita water doesn't have any taste, which is better than the bad taste straight from the tap. We have a heavily-chlorinated supply.

(January 25, 2018 at 1:28 pm)Losty Wrote:

That’s awesome! I never could get used to the flavor of tap water so I have 4 gallons that I can refill for 33 cents each at the grocery store.

If you filter it through the Brita, it doesn't have a taste. I had the same problem.
Today I had a 0.33333... liters beer that costed 1 euro. This other customer has one 0.3333... liters of water for the same price. You do the math.
That's awesome! XD

I only use water bottles in an emergency setting like I have a case stashed in my truck and a few bottles in the house but those don't get used often and I buy them like once a year.

I've never understood the fear of tap water myself (I respect it just don't understand it) I've drank from tap water and well water all my life and never got sick or had anything that I could see in the water. I drink primarily water only to a point where my parents were worried for me when I was younger and put in a $5k water system that required destroying their yard, constant upkeep and some kind of salt, and filtered all water even to the toilet. Honestly I have always thought that water tasted worse than just normal tap but I drink it when I'm at my mom's.

I do agree some places have bad city water and I wouldn't drink it to save my life. My in laws well water you can smell the sulfer in and both San Angelo and College Station both have bad city water everywhere.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
I never understood why people seem to need to take water everywhere, have a drink before you leave home! Most people don't live in a desert!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you ever eaten cereal with water before? Virus 19 1519 December 7, 2017 at 3:55 am
Last Post: emjay
  Woke up this morning to no water pressure. Brian37 18 2669 August 9, 2017 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Work From Home Water Cooler Thread Shell B 43 4427 July 24, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Holey water. Gawdzilla Sama 9 2536 May 7, 2017 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Dirty toilet water Chad32 12 3214 August 16, 2015 at 10:15 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Elderly Woman Dies After Wheelchair Rolls Down Hill Into Water Ditch During Fire Drill Tino 3 2184 October 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Cutting the head off Medusa Brian37 92 20558 June 15, 2012 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Brian37
  That is oor water!!! frankiej 6 2235 March 10, 2012 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Custom weapons for cutting down Zombies. frankiej 15 3592 September 18, 2011 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Filtering water is probably unnecessary... Rhizomorph13 18 5350 January 26, 2010 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Meatball