Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the media love mass shooting?
Does the media love mass shooting?
In defense of accusations that mainstream media loves mass shootings Alisyn Camerota of CNN says they aren't ratings gold because Americans are sick of it, but the networks actions speak louder than her words. We see the perp in these reports much more than the victims. Here is an article from experts begging the media to quit making these nutjobs famous, and yet they continue to do it... because it's ratings gold. I doubt you need me you to do the search showing CNN breaking these rules for the media on how they should deal with mass shooters. (because they break them all the time)

https://drive.google.com/.../0B4Z7VkWcwLk.../view
https://www.reportingonmassshootings.org/

This plays on human’s genetic disposition to "fear" when statistically it's not something you "should" be afraid of. We had 606 mass shooting deaths in 2016, and while every death is sad, and those who die young are the worst to bear, we have over 2 million people die a year in this country. Rather than spending all this energy on something that accounts for a small percentage of deaths why not work on helping the 40+ thousands who commit suicide a year? Champion stem cell research and prevent the over 100+ thousand who die from Alzheimer’s. Stop denying climate change and fight to save the 150+ thousand a year who die from chronic lower respiratory disease. There are countries that have guns without mass shootings, as well as it being debatable that removal of guns reduces crime. (It may reduce murder slightly depending on where you look and how many years out you look but it increases rape, burglary, etc)

https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data/2016
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Rather than address the mass shooter address what is causing of the problem: Wealth inequality in America. Rather than giving the rich huge tax cuts and killing 100’s thousands in other countries because the military complex desires us to do it. Make it so our education system is funded so we can be more competitive with other countries in our education. Make it so our health care is funded so the families don’t stress about getting the treatment they need. Make it so that both parents don’t have to work two jobs just to afford to pay the bills and have the money needed for their children. Make it so that the 60+ thousand veterans are no longer homeless. Make it so that the 40+ million who are food-insecure in this country can stop worrying about where (and if) their next meal is coming from. Make it so that young people can see a bright future again in this country.

We have a finite amount of energy to champion causes I understand that guns may seem to be the problem because of the way media agencies like CNN spam them, but they are just a symptom of the greater problem affecting 99% of Americas who are struggling to make ends meet. It may be callous to turn away from those deaths (or any deaths) and say, “other things are more important”, but we are talking about the greater good of the 320 million people who live in America, and the media spends WAY too much time making these shooters famous.
ForDebating.com is now in beta. 

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating 
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAd2N-...4lsJZjr6GQ
RE: Does the media love mass shooting?
I do have some insight on news media having a journalism degree. There is, even with car accidents, plane crashes, not just shootings, a bent to putting tragedy at the top of the news cycle as the lead. In the biz the saying goes, "If it bleeds it leads".

Now having said that, I don't think individual reporters want these things to happen, I think that is bullshit. I think the ethos is to report, mostly to get insight as to what happened and how it can be avoided in the future. But the real issue is policy, and how the government reacts to any event resulting in death. Is corporate media doing a good enough job telling people what they need to know, and not what they want to hear? That is a debate itself.

In fact just on Twitter a few minutes ago I read a tweet from a reporter about his coverage of the San Bernardino shooting, he said he got so sick he threw up.

This is simply more double speak coming from the right wing and NRA.

(February 23, 2018 at 7:32 pm)Coveny Wrote: In defense of accusations that mainstream media loves mass shootings Alisyn Camerota of CNN says they aren't ratings gold because Americans are sick of it, but the networks actions speak louder than her words. We see the perp in these reports much more than the victims. Here is an article from experts begging the media to quit making these nutjobs famous, and yet they continue to do it... because it's ratings gold. I doubt you need me you to do the search showing CNN breaking these rules for the media on how they should deal with mass shooters. (because they break them all the time)

This plays on human’s genetic disposition to "fear" when statistically it's not something you "should" be afraid of. We had 606 mass shooting deaths in 2016, and while every death is sad, and those who die young are the worst to bear, we have over 2 million people die a year in this country. Rather than spending all this energy on something that accounts for a small percentage of deaths why not work on helping the 40+ thousands who commit suicide a year? Champion stem cell research and prevent the over 100+ thousand who die from Alzheimer’s. Stop denying climate change and fight to save the 150+ thousand a year who die from chronic lower respiratory disease. There are countries that have guns without mass shootings, as well as it being debatable that removal of guns reduces crime. (It may reduce murder slightly depending on where you look and how many years out you look but it increases rape, burglary, etc)

Rather than address the mass shooter address what is causing of the problem: Wealth inequality in America. Rather than giving the rich huge tax cuts and killing 100’s thousands in other countries because the military complex desires us to do it. Make it so our education system is funded so we can be more competitive with other countries in our education. Make it so our health care is funded so the families don’t stress about getting the treatment they need. Make it so that both parents don’t have to work two jobs just to afford to pay the bills and have the money needed for their children. Make it so that the 60+ thousand veterans are no longer homeless. Make it so that the 40+ million who are food-insecure in this country can stop worrying about where (and if) their next meal is coming from. Make it so that young people can see a bright future again in this country.

We have a finite amount of energy to champion causes I understand that guns may seem to be the problem because of the way media agencies like CNN spam them, but they are just a symptom of the greater problem affecting 99% of Americas who are struggling to make ends meet. It may be callous to turn away from those deaths (or any deaths) and say, “other things are more important”, but we are talking about the greater good of the 320 million people who live in America, and the media spends WAY too much time making these shooters famous.

No no no no, please do not try to pull "other bad shit happens". 

GUNS are the problem, we make to many and they are too easy to get. I'd only agree livable wages and more ability for workers to have a life outside their jobs, and spend time with kids, WOULD HELP prevent a lot. But to imply our focus on our flooded market is misplaced is absurd.

That would be like saying, "We should not make Bin Laden famous".

The shooter did it, our society is responsible collectively for creating bad policy over decades that created the ease of access. The only cure, isn't blaming reporters, but participation in the political process.
Deja vu all over again.
No, this laughable idea is just the gun crazies trying to gaslight and distract the American public into buying into their obsession with guns everywhere for everyone. They're grasping for straws now.

-Teresa
Quote:Rather than address the mass shooter address what is causing of the problem: Wealth inequality in America.

Gosh, and all the time, I thought THIS was the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB7MwvqCtlk

You can't seriously think this lunatic kid killed 17 people because of tax cuts and America's foreign policy.  And it's at least moderately shitty of you to use the death of these kids to rail against the media.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What else would you expect from him?
(February 23, 2018 at 10:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What else would you expect from him?

Nothing, really, I suppose.  It just never fails to surprise and depress me to see people use tragedy to grind their own particular axe.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 23, 2018 at 7:32 pm)Coveny Wrote: In defense of accusations that mainstream media loves mass shootings Alisyn Camerota of CNN says they aren't ratings gold because Americans are sick of it, but the networks actions speak louder than her words. We see the perp in these reports much more than the victims. Here is an article from experts begging the media to quit making these nutjobs famous, and yet they continue to do it... because it's ratings gold. I doubt you need me you to do the search showing CNN breaking these rules for the media on how they should deal with mass shooters. (because they break them all the time)

My bolding. 

I don't think wealth inequality has anything to do with the mass shooter problem in America.

Definitely not in the sense that the shooters were driven to it by poverty or were stressed in anyway because they were financially unequal.

Just off the top of my head it's easy to think of some that are very rich or upper middle class (Stephen Paddock, the Columbine killers, Elliot Rodgers, James Holmes) but none come to mind that were actually poor or had money as a motivation or cause of stress in their life.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

School shootings that have a bunch of white kids as bloody victims are the holy grail.  That way everyone has the perfect opportunity to push his favorite agenda whatever it may be.  After all, who doesn't want to save such kids from the same fate?
Of course they do. They are 1% of total murders, and get so much coverage. White victims helps.

The cause of the problem is that people with serious mental health problems have easy access to guns.

I mean, it's not a hard one to figure out.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 3916 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2134 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Fatal shooting of Rayshard Brooks Agnostico 169 6021 June 18, 2020 at 6:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's obvious the MSM Media hasn't learned it's lesson from 2016 GODZILLA 11 874 June 21, 2019 at 9:03 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does the media give too Trump too much attention GODZILLA 9 1287 October 21, 2018 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2393 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Florida school shooting: FBI mishandled tip on gunman's 'desire to kill' WinterHold 7 1104 February 18, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Neither Trump nor Comey lied; the media is to blame Foxaèr 2 1320 June 9, 2017 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump: The FAKE NEWS media is the enemy of the American people! Aegon 147 24397 February 28, 2017 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Interesting Double Standard by the Corporate Media Minimalist 2 687 August 31, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: abaris