Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Magicians never reveal" UNLESS...
"Magicians never reveal" UNLESS...
You get sued for not doing your trick safely. YES it is a trick.

David Copperfield was forced by a civil court judge to reveal the secret behind his stage illusion. He is being sued by one of the audience members whom partook in the act and was injured.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop...546810002/
RE: "Magicians never reveal" UNLESS...
Still kinda wondering why this wasn't settled prior to trial.

The audience member has over a million in medical bills, what grounds does Copperfield have to deny the claim ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 25, 2018 at 9:19 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Still kinda wondering why this wasn't settled prior to trial.

The audience member has over a million in medical bills, what grounds does Copperfield have to deny the claim ??

Not on the jury, so cant say how the civil jury will end up deciding this. It doesn't look good.

But, having said that, I just am laughing my ass off at the fact he had to tell the truth in that it was a trick. I may hate Penn on economics, but unlike most stage preformers Penn doesn't lie about what he does and calls it a trick. 

But just on the surface, still seems like a bad idea to include people in your complex act if they never practiced it.
Its pretty common for high profile magicians to apply for patents on their tricks. The patent info is searchable and will explain exactly how the tricks are done to any who care to look it up.
(April 25, 2018 at 9:24 am)johan Wrote: Its pretty common for high profile magicians to apply for patents on their tricks. The patent info is searchable and will explain exactly how the tricks are done to any who care to look it up.

Not my point. Copyright I get. 

I simply hate the "wink wink" bullshit magic has been sold as for far too long. NOBODY has super powers. 

I am sure Penn and Teller have some unique tricks too, but they call them just that, tricks.
And cue the clip of G.O.B. getting blackballed by the Alliance of Magicians on Arrested Development

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 25, 2018 at 9:34 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 25, 2018 at 9:24 am)johan Wrote: Its pretty common for high profile magicians to apply for patents on their tricks. The patent info is searchable and will explain exactly how the tricks are done to any who care to look it up.

Not my point. Copyright I get. 

I simply hate the "wink wink" bullshit magic has been sold as for far too long. NOBODY has super powers. 

I am sure Penn and Teller have some unique tricks too, but they call them just that, tricks.

I think it's just part of the show B-Man.   They realize that most people understand this, and I don't think that anyone is actually selling that they are doing real magic.  There is a good chance that the stripper is not that into you, and just wants your money as well!
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(April 25, 2018 at 9:36 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(April 25, 2018 at 9:34 am)Brian37 Wrote: Not my point. Copyright I get. 

I think it's just part of the show B-Man.   They realize that most people understand this, and I don't think that anyone is actually selling that they are doing real magic.  There is a good chance that the stripper is not that into you, and just wants your money as well!

Yet theists believe in magic babies with super powers and that a human survived rigor mortis.

Yea, the sane realize it's all a trick, but to say nobody believes that shit is supernatural is silly. If you can fall for old mythology, certainly there are gullible people who really do believe the woman was sawed in half.
Is this going to be the "magic" and "magician" version of Miracle on 34th Street?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(April 25, 2018 at 9:42 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(April 25, 2018 at 9:36 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I think it's just part of the show B-Man.   They realize that most people understand this, and I don't think that anyone is actually selling that they are doing real magic.  There is a good chance that the stripper is not that into you, and just wants your money as well!

Yet theists believe in magic babies with super powers and that a human survived rigor mortis.

Yea, the sane realize it's all a trick, but to say nobody believes that shit is supernatural is silly. If you can fall for old mythology, certainly there are gullible people who really do believe the woman was sawed in half.

I think that some mis-characterize what they don't understand as magic, and use such words to attack a caricature because they know that there position is weak.  

I don't believe that it has been studied, but I would venture that people who think the Russians payed the NRA $2,500 to build a death ray, are more likely than religious people to believe that David Copperfield is actually sawing the person in half.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just A Dumb Ol Boys, never thinking at all. Brian37 10 1159 May 26, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Saudi Arabia: Leaked reports reveal severe abuse of political prisoners-The Guardian WinterHold 6 1098 April 13, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Naturally. The REMFs* Never Get Blamed! Minimalist 1 298 November 3, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Melania Trump says Sexual Assault victims shouldn't report unless they have evidence Divinity 116 11965 October 15, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Something They'll Never Say About The WLB! Minimalist 3 369 August 26, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Never Fuck With A Billionaire's Money! Minimalist 5 632 July 29, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The bastards better hope they never meet me Cyberman 2 1183 December 16, 2017 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Something To Think About - But We Won't Because We Never Do Minimalist 6 1962 June 28, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Rat Bastard Will Never Change His Ways Minimalist 10 1460 March 17, 2017 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Uh-Huh....Businesses would never "dsicriminate." Minimalist 5 1549 April 30, 2015 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen