Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:50 pm

Poll: Has social media gone too far?
This poll is closed.
No. Sources of misinformation, whether domestic or foreign need to be restricted.
27.50%
11 27.50%
We need to do something about cyber warfare, but infringing basic freedoms isn't it.
20.00%
8 20.00%
Attempts to combat cyber warfare are hurting more than helping.
10.00%
4 10.00%
Other.
27.50%
11 27.50%
Fuck all polls.
15.00%
6 15.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Jones and Infowars gets 'disappeared' - are we headed in the right direction?
Alex Jones and Infowars gets 'disappeared' - are we headed in the right direction?
Some will applaud the removal of Alex Jones from social media sites. Others will regard it as a dangerous incursion against free speech. Where do you stand?

Quote:Top technology companies erased most of the posts and videos on their services from Alex Jones, the internet’s most notorious conspiracy theorist, thrusting themselves into a fraught debate over their role in regulating what can be said online.

Apple, Google, Facebook and Spotify severely restricted the reach of Mr. Jones and Infowars, his right-wing site that has been a leading peddler of false information online. Mr. Jones and Infowars have used social media for years to spread dark and bizarre theories, such as that the Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax and that Democrats run a global child-sex ring. Apple made its move on Sunday and the others followed on Monday.

The actions, one of the tech companies’ most aggressive efforts against misinformation, highlighted a difficult dilemma for their businesses. They have long desired to combat misinformation online, but they have also been reluctant to be arbiters of truth.

But since a rise of misinformation online around elections, such as the 2016 presidential vote, the tech companies have faced increasing calls from lawmakers and the news media to address their role in that spread of false information and a related increase in partisan divisions. The tech companies have recently stepped up enforcement — but that has led to accusations of political bias, largely from conservatives.

Apple, Facebook and YouTube Remove Content From Alex Jones and Infowars
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Alex Jones and Infowars gets 'disappeared' - are we headed in the right direction?
I think that a responsible organization is allowed to limit what it will propagate. This a great step forward, IMO. I liken it to not accepting what the WBC does at funerals of deceased vets, Vs driving them there for pay, even if one doesn't agree. No need to provide a vehicle for this. Alex Jones and his ilk can find their own independent methods of propagating the BS.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
RE: Alex Jones and Infowars gets 'disappeared' - are we headed in the right direction?
Gay frogs got banned from the internets.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Freedom of the press be!ongs to the owner of the press.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I have no problem whatsoever with a private entity refusing to publish hostile, bigoted bullshit.
Free speech does not apply to private corporations.

Free speech means the government can not throw his sleazy ass in jail for what he says. 

If you call your boss a "motherfucker" don't be surprised if you get fired.  But by all means let the ACLU know if you get thrown in jail by some cop for it.
Also I strongly believe that what Jones is doing is largely a con and that too I have no qualms about declining to publish.
Full time commentator on NRA TV in 5, 4, 3,...
I have no problem with this. But then I barely know who he is to begin with.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 6, 2018 at 8:17 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I have no problem with this. But then I barely know who he is to begin with.
He's the fine fellow who has said such nuggets of wisdom like 

Quote:I grew up in Dallas, Texas, drinking sodium fluoridated water. All the scientific studies show my IQ has been reduced by at least 20 points. The shadow of who I would have been calls out from the grave.

• , 11 February 2008.

Quote:It took me about a year with  to come to grips with the fact that the whole thing was fake. I mean, I couldn't believe it. I knew they jumped on it, used the crisis, hyped it up. But then I did deep research—and my gosh, it just pretty much didn't happen.

• , 28 December 2014.

Quote:How about Prozac? ... The U.S. number one cause of [unnatural] death is suicide now because they give people suicide mass murder pills. ... I want to get people off pills that the insert says will make you commit suicide and kill people! I want to blame the real culprit—suicide pills! Mass murder pills!
Alex Jones on Piers Morgan Tonight, CNN, 7 January 2013.

And those are his saner idea's Dodgy
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kanye West on Alex Jones paulpablo 391 22028 December 31, 2022 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  SpaceX gets FAA launch approval, provided they fund interest groups HappySkeptic 10 781 June 15, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 1511 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  UK Police officer gets stuck in handcuffs in training zebo-the-fat 10 944 August 19, 2020 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Border Control Gets Bipartisan Support onlinebiker 20 1334 August 6, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  MAGA "Tough Guy " Gets His Clock Cleaned By Immigrant In The UFC The Architect Of Fate 28 2495 December 19, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Bus Driver who raped 14-year old gets no Jail TIme Divinity 4 534 April 30, 2019 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  POTUS "fixer" gets 36 months in prison. Brian37 9 1498 December 13, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  45's wiki page gets shroomed Brian37 12 1474 November 25, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Arizona Gets One Right. Must Have Been An Accident. Minimalist 0 424 October 23, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist