Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBT shuts down science
LGBT shuts down science
https://news.brown.edu/articles/2018/08/gender

Quote:As you may be aware, Brown late last week posted a news announcement regarding research on gender dysphoria published by a faculty member in the School of Public Health. In light of questions raised about research design and data collection related to the study on “rapid onset gender dysphoria,” the University determined that removing the article from news distribution is the most responsible course of action.

The research had been published in the scientific journal PLOS ONE, which stated in a comment posted on the study August 27 that the journal “will seek further expert assessment on the study’s methodology and analyses.” Independent of the University’s removal of the article because of concerns about research methodology, the School of Public Health has heard from Brown community members expressing concerns that the conclusions of the study could be used to discredit efforts to support transgender youth and invalidate the perspectives of members of the transgender community.

As it made it through peer review, the charges on methodology are BS. Or, peer review is BS. Take your pick.
RE: LGBT shuts down science
(August 29, 2018 at 7:59 am)alpha male Wrote: https://news.brown.edu/articles/2018/08/gender

Quote:As you may be aware, Brown late last week posted a news announcement regarding research on gender dysphoria published by a faculty member in the School of Public Health. In light of questions raised about research design and data collection related to the study on “rapid onset gender dysphoria,” the University determined that removing the article from news distribution is the most responsible course of action.

The research had been published in the scientific journal PLOS ONE, which stated in a comment posted on the study August 27 that the journal “will seek further expert assessment on the study’s methodology and analyses.” Independent of the University’s removal of the article because of concerns about research methodology, the School of Public Health has heard from Brown community members expressing concerns that the conclusions of the study could be used to discredit efforts to support transgender youth and invalidate the perspectives of members of the transgender community.

As it made it through peer review, the charges on methodology are BS. Or, peer review is BS. Take your pick.

Imagine that, a religious college condemning LGBT.
I wasn't aware Brown is a religious school.

I suspect the problem with the paper was the methodology which, if that's the case, means the peer review of this paper failed horribly.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Just so you know, "peer review" is NOT a one-time thing like passing your grade exam, it's a continuous process
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 29, 2018 at 8:15 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I wasn't aware Brown is a religious school.

I suspect the problem with the paper was the methodology which, if that's the case, means the peer review of this paper failed horribly.

Boru

Then why does it's shield have a cross on it? Just because it is ivy league doesn't mean it isn't religious. Notre Dame is a Catholic College. At  minimum those who lead the study were bias with bigoted leanings. The AMA has long since said homosexuality is normal. And we are growing to learn that the brain does not always fit the plumbing, which is why Transgender get sex changes. 

Take your pick.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brown+un...66&bih=662
(August 29, 2018 at 7:59 am)alpha male Wrote: https://news.brown.edu/articles/2018/08/gender

There are a number of issues with peer review which have come to light in the last few years.   It's about as political as the grammy's.   There is also the repeatability problem which they are finding.  It will be curious to see if they find a flaw in the methodology or if the come up with some fluff, because the conclusion isn't PC enough for them.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(August 29, 2018 at 8:22 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 29, 2018 at 8:15 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I wasn't aware Brown is a religious school.

Boru

Then why does it's shield have a cross on it? Just because it is ivy league doesn't mean it isn't religious. Notre Dame is a Catholic College. At  minimum those who lead the study were bias with bigoted leanings. The AMA has long since said homosexuality is normal. And we are growing to learn that the brain does not always fit the plumbing, which is why Transgender get sex changes. 

Take your pick.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brown+un...66&bih=662

Really?  That's why you think it's a religious institution?  According to wiki, Brown was the first US college to accept students regardless of religions affiliation.  And

Quote:Brown's faculty and alumni include eight Nobel Prize laureates, five National Humanities Medalists[13] and ten National Medal of Science laureates. Other notable alumni include eight billionaire graduates,[14] a U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, four U.S. Secretaries of State and other Cabinet officials, 54 members of the United States Congress, 55 Rhodes Scholars, 52 Gates Cambridge Scholars[15] 49 Marshall Scholars,[16][17] 14 MacArthur Genius Fellows,[18] 21 Pulitzer Prize winners, various royals and nobles, as well as leaders and founders of Fortune 500 companies

I took the liberty of browsing their website, and nothing I saw indicates that they're a religious school of any denomination.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 29, 2018 at 8:22 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:

There are a number of issues with peer review which have come to light in the last few years.   It's about as political as the grammy's.   There is also the repeatability problem which they are finding.  It will be curious to see if they find a flaw in the methodology or if the come up with some fluff, because the conclusion isn't PC enough for them.

The only side that is trying to use science to justify BULLSHIT bigotry are the right. I could give a shit less if it is coming from a ivy league school.

The assholes on the right do the same shit to deny climate change.

THE AMA has long since called homosexuality NORMAL.

https://www.the-scientist.com/features/a...ople-30027

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2016/g...-identity/

The only reason LGBT have a harder time at life is because of the BULLSHIT bigotry coming from the right.

And regardless, since when it is your fucking business what an adult does  that is consensual ?
Esoterica, but the cross on the shield is an affirmation of the university's "britishness" - fairly typical for Providence..Rhode Island.....1765.

ala-
[Image: 1920px-Union_Flag_and_St_Georges_Cross.jpg]
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 29, 2018 at 8:37 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 29, 2018 at 8:22 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: There are a number of issues with peer review which have come to light in the last few years.   It's about as political as the grammy's.   There is also the repeatability problem which they are finding.  It will be curious to see if they find a flaw in the methodology or if the come up with some fluff, because the conclusion isn't PC enough for them.

The only side that is trying to use science to justify BULLSHIT bigotry are the right. I could give a shit less if it is coming from a ivy league school.

The assholes on the right do the same shit to deny climate change.

THE AMA has long since called homosexuality NORMAL.

https://www.the-scientist.com/features/a...ople-30027

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2016/g...-identity/

The only reason LGBT have a harder time at life is because of the BULLSHIT bigotry coming from the right.

And regardless, since when it is your fucking business what an adult does  that is consensual ?

Did you reply to the wrong post?   Because this doesn't seem to rationally follow from what I said at all!
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burning down the House Brian37 12 1175 December 11, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2422 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  St. Louis attorneys draw down on protestors passing by. Gawdzilla Sama 97 5457 July 20, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Bounty Hunters found not guilty in case of gunning down innocent black man Cecelia 21 1473 August 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  ACA Struck down by TX federal judge. brewer 33 4175 December 18, 2018 at 4:18 am
Last Post: Amarok
  One Trump Loving Confederate Asshole Goes Down In Flames Minimalist 25 3009 November 8, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Donald Trump shuts down EPA's climate change website. Jehanne 6 832 November 4, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Racism is still strong down here Losty 15 1311 September 16, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Trip Down Memory Lane Minimalist 4 477 September 7, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poor Ivanka, shuts down her name brand. Brian37 7 1165 July 25, 2018 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Shell B