Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The market and where the economy is going.
The market and where the economy is going.
The Dow is down big over the last week. Over 600 an hour and a half into today's trading.

Where do you think the market is going in 2019.

I think the stock market has a lot to lose - before its over I expect a 20%+ haircut within 2 years. 2019 will not be a good year.

We will be in a recession within 30 months. Interest rates are past neutral at this point and short term capital is going to be very expensive compared to the past decade. The bond market reversal in the 3 and 5 year T bills is a bad sign, and the 2/10 are looking to invert.

Real estate is looking like conditions that existed in 2017. We're putting our house on the market in May and taking profit. It was a short term investment and we want to wait for the inevitable buyer's market. We bought in May 2016 on a private contract. It went from essentially zero equity to around 35%.
RE: The market and where the economy is going.
What happens to the stock market very much depends on the whims of Trump.

So yeah, I think it's highly likely it will lose even more.
Who knew it could be so complicated, huh?
Stock markets tend to be leading indicators, so I agree - the overall world markets seem to be in a general retreat (sorry - ‘correction’), which doesn’t bode well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
US, 20% minimum correction, slow rebound/recovery/low returns probably will last well into 2020, maybe 2021.

But then, I don't know shit.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
‘I don’t know anything about economics. I took that course in college, but they taught it at eight o’clock in the morning. There’s only so much you can learn out of one bloodshot eye.’ - Lewis Black

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What America's right wing still does not get in large part, and even liberals, is that most of the Stock Market is already monopolized by millionaires and billionaires. It matters to workers, not because they have any large stake, it matters unfortunately because the top earners have a monopoly on the majority of shares in the market.

Our failure to keep and enforce anti monopoly laws and allowing dark money into politics allows for more risk, and not the good kind, in the market.
(December 6, 2018 at 12:19 pm)Cathooloo Wrote: The Dow is down big over the last week.  Over 600 an hour and a half into today's trading.

I think the stock market has a lot to lose - before its over I expect a 20%+ haircut within 2 years.  2019 will not be a good year.

We will be in a recession within 30 months.  Interest rates are past neutral at this point and short term capital is going to be very expensive compared to the past decade.  The bond market reversal in the 3 and 5 year T bills is a bad sign, and the 2/10 are looking to invert.

Real estate is looking like conditions that existed in 2017.  We're putting our house on the market in May and taking profit.  It was a short term investment and we want to wait for the inevitable buyer's market.  We bought in May 2016 on a private contract.  It went from essentially zero equity to around 35%.

The problem is that too many analysts and economists think that the stock market = the economy. It does not, especially in these days where short term metrics (over less than a year and often not spanning to three months) decide on share options and bonuses for directors and executives. That fosters a culture of now over the future health of companies, hence you see them shedding the 20% most experienced and productive of their staff, simply because they're paid higher wages and you see early booking of possible future revenue streams to pump up current performance metrics and you see things like massively leveraged buyouts of other companies which doesn't make strategic or long term sense simply because that other company is seeing as being something new and the buyout gives a massive but very temporary boost to the buying company's shares.

In essence none of the lessons of the dot com crash or the far east crash or the Russian crash or even 2008 have been learnt, and we are due set for another financial meltdown. This time governments will not be able to cope or bail out the problems, they've been hollowed out too much by a culture of privatisation and an allied culture of "well if the rich are going to evade their taxes contrary to the law we must change the law to let them off".

I'm not going to predict what'll happen next year, but in the medium term (5-10 years) I am very pessimistic and in the longer term beyond that, with global warming bearing down on us, I frankly cannot see how we'll manage to avoid an extinction event.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(December 6, 2018 at 12:19 pm)Cathooloo Wrote: The Dow is down big over the last week.  Over 600 an hour and a half into today's trading.

I think the stock market has a lot to lose - before its over I expect a 20%+ haircut within 2 years.  2019 will not be a good year.

We will be in a recession within 30 months.  Interest rates are past neutral at this point and short term capital is going to be very expensive compared to the past decade.  The bond market reversal in the 3 and 5 year T bills is a bad sign, and the 2/10 are looking to invert.

Real estate is looking like conditions that existed in 2017.  We're putting our house on the market in May and taking profit.  It was a short term investment and we want to wait for the inevitable buyer's market.  We bought in May 2016 on a private contract.  It went from essentially zero equity to around 35%.

I really hope you are correct, since i am actually looking for a home.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
I read this morning that only once in the last 50 years has the treasury bond yield curve inversion mentioned in the OP not precipitated a recession.

The street also has fully declared that the NASDAQ is undergoing a correction and not just subject to ongoing volatility.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Trump going to Prison? FrustratedFool 392 20353 February 22, 2024 at 2:55 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 379 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Economy (US) Foxaèr 11 1307 February 7, 2023 at 5:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How bad is our economy? (US) Foxaèr 28 1400 March 15, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  NAACP going to far? brewer 17 1238 October 30, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone going to watch the Jan 6th hearings? Brian37 39 3367 July 28, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Going a bit far with pronoun usage again Foxaèr 20 1369 May 18, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is The NRA Going Bye-Bye? BrianSoddingBoru4 46 2042 August 9, 2020 at 5:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  US Oil Market Crashes BrianSoddingBoru4 42 3335 April 23, 2020 at 8:17 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Economy Class Economy ignoramus 41 2776 April 6, 2020 at 7:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus