Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How bad is our economy? (US)
How bad is our economy? (US)
Gas prices are rising, but when are they not?

Lately, though, I keep hearing of food shortages in stores in the area as well as rising prices of the minimal food that is available.

What is it like in your area? What's happening? Will it get worse? Is this country declining rapidly?

Should I even be worrying? (Because I tend to not worry when others are worrying)
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: How bad is our economy? (US)
Not nearly as bad as the 1970's.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It' s only hoarding if you are one of those schmucks that buy in bulk when prices are high.

If you stock up when prices are low - you're a smart investor.
Actually, people should worry about the opposite

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Gas prices are up but I haven't experienced the food shortages at the store that I keep hearing about.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

For us item availability has been hit and miss and seems to depend on the day of the week and store. The most notable has been TP and paper towels. Emptied out at Sams Club, full shelves at Kroger and Menards.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
In any objective sense the us economy is absurdly strong, not that it matters to most of the folks it's left behind.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Prices are higher for the most part.  Things made locally, like chicken, beer, and street tacos are bout the same.  Gas is 3.18.  Oddly, cashews have almost doubled in price.  Must be a farming and climate issue.  Wages have not likewise increased.

I haven't noticed any food shortages, but, with a round of wintry mix predicted for Wednesday and Thursday, the stores will sell out of milk, bread, and hot pockets by Tuesday.
......the economy's so bad, I saw a Mormon with only a girlfriend.
(February 21, 2022 at 9:43 am)Ranjr Wrote: Prices are higher for the most part.  Things made locally, like chicken, beer, and street tacos are bout the same.  Gas is 3.18.  Oddly, cashews have almost doubled in price.  Must be a farming and climate issue.  Wages have not likewise increased.

I haven't noticed any food shortages, but, with a round of wintry mix predicted for Wednesday and Thursday, the stores will sell out of milk, bread, and hot pockets by Tuesday.

I wouldn't even try to feed Hot Pockets to my dogs....ICK!

Plenty of milk in the fridge and if all else fails (except the electricity) I have frozen loaves of bread just waiting to be baked.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 379 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Economy (US) Foxaèr 11 1307 February 7, 2023 at 5:43 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are executions making the US look bad? Jehanne 33 1635 May 18, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Thumbs Up Bad idea CDC onlinebiker 30 2202 May 15, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  If you wonder how bad Detroit hospitals really are? onlinebiker 11 593 October 9, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Economy Class Economy ignoramus 41 2777 April 6, 2020 at 7:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  POTUS having a really bad day today. Brian37 20 2669 November 20, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Your country's economy in a nutshell ignoramus 28 2159 July 21, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Cod
  Good Cop/Bad Cop? Nope. All Good. BrianSoddingBoru4 43 3893 February 25, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The market and where the economy is going. Jackalope 19 2260 December 15, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda