Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Economy (US)
The Economy (US)
Discuss it here so I can be better up-to-date with the current climate.

All I know (or rather keep hearing from everyone at work) of it are two things.

1. Empty shelves in food stores.
2. Ridiculously high apartment rent prices.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: The Economy (US)
The prices of eggs and butter have gone sky high.

Something I noticed that makes me crazy is that car insurance companies used to, in part, base your premium on how many miles you drive in a year. At renewal they'd want your new mileage.

Since COVID and more people not commuting to work, they stopped giving you a better rate for driver fewer miles...at least our insurance did. Doesn't seem to matter that I have been with that company for most of my adult life. Now that I could qualify for that rate break....it doesn't matter anymore. grrr

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I'm not one to trust everything I read, especially online, but I'm no expert on vetting economic articles. That being stated, this is the first thing to pop up on my search.

How Is the US Economy Doing?

The Balance

Quote:The unemployment rate has remained low during 2022. The unemployment rate was 3.7% in November 2022. That number was the same as it was in October and is low by historical standards. 1

Real gross domestic product (GDP), often touted as a measure of the overall economy, increased in the fourth quarter of 2022 by 2.9%. Prior to that, GDP had increased by 3.2% in the third quarter after dropping 1.6% and 0.6% respectively in the first and second quarters.2

Orders for durable goods like machinery and equipment increased by 0.5% in the fourth quarter of 2022, while nondurable goods (pharmaceuticals, food, and lodging) rose by 1.5%.3

In December 2022, The Federal Reserve Open Markets Committee increased interest rates by 50 basis points, with a target range of 4.25% to 4.50%.4

The Consumer Price Index decreased by 0.1% from November to December. Prices on all items increased by 6.5% over the last twelve months, the smallest increase since October 2021.5

The stock market overall sustained growth during the previous year, but in January 2022 the S&P 500 and Nasdaq dipped significantly, and both indexes were low and erratic into March before regaining ground in April. In June the S&P 500 dipped into a bear market, 20% below its recent peak. By September, the index had gained back some of that ground but was still well below its peak.67
~ Erin Hunter
‘I should be able to explain economics to you, but I flunked that course. Not my fault. They taught it at 8:00 in the morning, and there is absolutely nothing you can learn out of one bloodshot eye.’ - Lewis Black

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If one took all the economists in the US and lined them up end to end, they would still point in different directions.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
[Image: 20230131edshe-b%20copy.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The economy is functioning precisely as intended - money continues to be funnelled from your wallet into someone else's who scarcely needs it.
Economy Is Improving, but Recession Risk, Inflation Still Hover

Nerd Wallet

You can always trust a nerd, right?

Quote:The latest bevy of government data shows prices are declining, wage growth has slowed and people aren’t spending like they used to.

By all appearances it seems inflation is, indeed, being tamed. But at this point it’s still uncertain whether the U.S. is in the clear or instead glimpsing a recession on the horizon.

Kathryn Anne Edwards, an economist, independent policy consultant and adjunct at Rand Corp., uses a “bad week” analogy to describe the economic situation.

“In this fight against inflation, we’re in a perpetual state of Wednesdays,” Edwards says. “It’s midweek. We know we’ve had kind of some bad days and we’re on the hunt for any further evidence of how this week is going to go, but it’s not Friday yet. By Friday we’re going to know if it’s been a terrible week or not; by Wednesday it could still go either way.”
~ Erin Hunter
Three things that would help the US economy:

-Raising (and enforcing) taxes on the rich, both individuals and corporations.

-Universal health care.

-Eliminating student debt.

(There are plenty of other things you could do - cut the military budget, invest heavily in alternative energies, rent control, living wages, etc -, but those are the biggies).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
1.7 trillion in debt collecting interest, 1.2 trillion in yearly private health expenses. The trouble we'll have in establishing universal healthcare and education is the disruption of those two profit centers...and their ability to drive wages down in order to pay those bills. The us economy is based on strip mining the us public, not just our natural resources. The campaign ads would likely write themselves long before universal programs showed their benefits. In the interim, and even if the programs survived and proved their worth - we'd probably cover that loss by strip mining the rest of the world that much harder. Unless it's immigrants. We could probably make up the difference with an aggressive labor-for-citizenship program.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 381 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How bad is our economy? (US) Foxaèr 28 1407 March 15, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Economy Class Economy ignoramus 41 2777 April 6, 2020 at 7:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Your country's economy in a nutshell ignoramus 28 2164 July 21, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Cod
  The market and where the economy is going. Jackalope 19 2272 December 15, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  World economy at risk of another crash downbeatplumb 2 357 October 5, 2018 at 5:08 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why? Aegon 74 6845 August 15, 2018 at 4:29 am
Last Post: GUBU
  TCJA: Apple repatriating cash and pumping it into US economy John V 36 4248 January 19, 2018 at 9:13 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  World economy scoobysnack 39 4150 February 25, 2016 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Technological advances and the future of the economy TaraJo 3 1781 September 14, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen