Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio bans doctors from performing Down Syndrome abortions
Ohio bans doctors from performing Down Syndrome abortions
https://apnews.com/6b1fed3f62f045a8a26a6..._medium=AP

Quote:COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio is prohibiting doctors from performing abortions based on a diagnosis of Down syndrome, joining other states with similarly strict legislation.
Republican Gov. John Kasich signed the legislation into law on Friday. Lawmakers had sent the bill to him earlier this month, in one of their last acts of the year.
The legislation, which cleared the GOP-led Legislature with some Republican opposition, makes it a crime for a doctor to terminate a pregnancy based on knowledge of Down syndrome, a genetic abnormality that causes developmental delays and medical conditions such as heart defects and respiratory and hearing problems.

As a disabled person (spina bifida), for the most part, at least on quality-of-life issues, I would not have ever wanted to be aborted. However, I accasionally do think of the enormous amount of money spent dealing with medical conditions. On the third hand, where exactly as a society do we draw the line? Plus, if we didn't spend so much money on defense, maybe we could assure a better quality of life for the disabled. 

Anybody? I know this hits home on here.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Ohio bans doctors from performing Down Syndrome abortions
Way to go Ohio. No, we should not kill babies who have down syndrome. Or spina bifida.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 22, 2017 at 8:46 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Way to go Ohio. No, we should not kill babies who have down syndrome. Or spina bifida.

Yes. Definitely. Good for Ohio.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(December 22, 2017 at 8:46 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Way to go Ohio. No, we should not kill babies who have down syndrome. Or spina bifida.

But abortions don't kill babies. They terminate foetuses, something that happens naturally to about 60% of pregnancies.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
I have to say, if a couple is trying to conceive, then they assume all the risks that come along with a pregnancy, including all the non-modifiable risks. It is my personal opinion that it’s morally wrong to abort a baby that you actively, and knowingly conceived, because it didn’t develop in an ideal fashion. Creating new life is not like ordering something off of amazon. This is just my personal opinion, ofc.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(December 22, 2017 at 9:27 pm)Wololo Wrote:

But abortions don't kill babies. They terminate foetuses, something that happens naturally to about 60% of pregnancies.

Most people die... does your reasoning follow there as well?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Once again limiting bodily autonomy . And pushing women into the back alley . While honestly not saving anyone  .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Oh, boy. Of all the moral conundrums, I find the issue of abortion to be one of the most agonizing.

The first point to address is that of baby vs. fetus. The OP doesn't mention gestation and I don't know if the Ohio law does or not. I don't care what man's law says here - only about scientific knowledge. We can't say for certain when consciousness begins but we sure can say beyond reasonable doubt that if the higher brain has yet to develop, there is no consciousness. If the fetus has no more awareness that it even exists than a brick does, it has nothing to lose. It is NOT a baby and it is ridiculous to claim it is such. In that case, it doesn't matter what infirmity it has or doesn't have. It has no rights because it is not a conscience being and has never been conscience.

If the fetus is past the point where it even MIGHT be conscience, I am much less comfortable with abortion. I am aware of pro-abortion arguments even at this stage. I do not personally believe it would be moral (not going to address whether or not it should be legal) to abort at this stage.

Addressing Down's Syndrome specifically: Oh, boy. One might argue that it is an affront to human dignity to live that way. But my personal observations have been that people so stricken tend to be very joyful. I used to be a SCUBA instructor and boat captain and know of one adult male who was taught to scuba dive (not by me). He always wanted to drive the boat out to the dive site and I (as Captain) let him do it several times. He did it safely and competently under my supervision. In one case, he handled a 40' boat which had particularly bad steering issues. It tended to wallow back and forth and pull particularly hard to the right. He compensated for the issue. This was a male in his thirties or so who was definitely compromised - perhaps with the mind of an 8-year-old.

Some of us (me included) highly value the lives of lower animals with even lesser intelligence than that of the typical Down's patient. Sometimes, we love them like people. I am particularly aware of this now as we just lost an elderly cat this December and it hurts.

In the end, my opinion is to treat a Down's fetus as any other. If they are prior to the stage of higher brain development, they have no more to lose than a brick has to being pulverized. Neither has any awareness and therefor no life to lose.

If a Down's fetus is at the gestation point where it MIGHT be conscious, I would consider it no more moral to abort than a fetus without any issues.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Equating unensouled tissue with ensouled living human beings is clearly heresy.

Is this an issue worth sacrificing the Biblical imprimatur of authority for all other religious/moral topics ?

I'll concede strong feelings on the topic exist, but demonstrable Error compromises not only one's Salvation, but also that individual's ability to lead others to Salvation.

So, I'll ask again, is this the Error everyone wants make accepting as consequences burning in the fiery lake for all eternity ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I believe a woman should be able to abort for any reason she chooses and her reason is no one’s business but her own.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burning down the House Brian37 12 1166 December 11, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Michigan Bans Open Carry of Firearms at Polling Places onlinebiker 101 5421 October 29, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2355 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  St. Louis attorneys draw down on protestors passing by. Gawdzilla Sama 97 5407 July 20, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ohio At It Again BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1007 December 1, 2019 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  More religious liberty in Ohio brewer 42 2694 November 21, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Michigan Bans Flavored E Cigarettes onlinebiker 48 3617 September 13, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Nine killed in Dayton, Ohio EgoDeath 120 8359 August 14, 2019 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Bounty Hunters found not guilty in case of gunning down innocent black man Cecelia 21 1469 August 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  FB bans 'dangerous' individuals Foxaèr 155 9187 May 13, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4