Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] I want out
I want out
I’m trying to think of way to apply for asylum in another country. The United States isn’t getting better, and I’m honestly frightened. I’m still looking for which country would take a poor disabled student, I need a place with good healthcare, accessible, has protections for people with disabilities, and won’t mind me being brown. Any ideas? (I’m fully willing to learn another language)
RE: I want out
Sweden seems pretty chill
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

I'd recommend any commonwealth country, but your disability is going to be against you.  A good plan may be to start writing to various embassies and see which countries might be helpful.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 19, 2020 at 3:00 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: I’m trying to think of way to apply for asylum in another country. The United States isn’t getting better, and I’m honestly frightened. I’m still looking for which country would take a poor disabled student, I need a place with good healthcare, accessible, has protections for people with disabilities, and won’t mind me being brown. Any ideas? (I’m fully willing to learn another language)

I moved from the US to Japan when I was just your age. (Your profile says you're 27.) I have never regretted it, but it was a hell of an adjustment. It's hard. 

To come to Japan you'd need to get a job first, and this may be the case with other countries, too. If you can line up a job teaching English before you move, for example, you'd have a school to sponsor you and probably insurance. Your employer can offer some help in finding housing, etc. (You don't say what your disability is, and I don't want to be nosy, but if you're a student I'm guessing you have the wherewithal to be a language teacher.) Once you're in the country it's a lot easier to find a more solid job and start working toward a permanent visa. 

Japanese health care and insurance is absolutely top-notch. There is some prejudice; even as a white guy I was occasionally told that I couldn't rent a particular place or wasn't welcome in a bar or something. But especially if you're in a big city, it won't be too bad. Probably no more than you'd get in some parts of the USA. 

I'm guessing that moving to some other countries would be somewhat similar. South Korea or China have active economies -- as lively as Japan was when I moved here. The trouble is that if you moved someplace and worked for a few years you wouldn't be guaranteed the chance to stay forever. People do it all the time, but it depends on work, marriage, etc. 

I've been happy in Japan, and I know I couldn't have survived in my small midwestern hometown in the US. It has only gone downhill in Trump-time. It's all Republicans and meth these days. However, I believe I'd have been fine in some other places in the US, and I wonder if you've considered this option. For example, 99% of Kansas may be frightening, but Lawrence, where the university is, is an island of sanity. College towns like Madison, Wisconsin or maybe Berkeley would be very different from redneckville. I don't know what Murfreesboro is like, but I suspect that there might be US communities that would be more welcoming, without the enormous effort it takes to go abroad. 

Anyway, I wish you good luck!
(January 19, 2020 at 3:00 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: I’m trying to think of way to apply for asylum in another country. The United States isn’t getting better, and I’m honestly frightened. I’m still looking for which country would take a poor disabled student, I need a place with good healthcare, accessible, has protections for people with disabilities, and won’t mind me being brown. Any ideas? (I’m fully willing to learn another language)

We are not the nice country we used to be. 2016 has a lot to answer for.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Any Irish relatives?
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(January 19, 2020 at 7:17 am)Nomad Wrote:

Any Irish relatives?

Yeah, an Irish grandparent would be just the ticket.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 19, 2020 at 7:23 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 19, 2020 at 7:17 am)Nomad Wrote: Any Irish relatives?

Yeah, an Irish grandparent would be just the ticket.

Boru

Or even an adopted one.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Be careful what you wish for.
(January 19, 2020 at 7:50 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Be careful what you wish for.

In BQ's case, it's exactly what to wish for.  Unless they've changed the rules, having a parent or grandparent who is an Irish citizen grants you Irish citizenship for the asking (more or less).

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I didn’t do it out of hate. ... I did it out of love. brewer 2 469 January 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Divinity
  Want to sell that island? onlinebiker 30 2501 August 22, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Jews are Dangerous Because People Want to Kill Them Neo-Scholastic 13 3398 August 4, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Aww, does the ADF want an apology? Divinity 14 3894 July 14, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Even The Coal Companies Want The WLB to STFU Minimalist 1 746 April 5, 2017 at 7:57 am
Last Post: dyresand
  White House Doesn't Want It Called Trump Care Minimalist 32 6964 March 15, 2017 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Alex K
  One Hopes He Doesn't Want To Visit Drumpf's 'Murrica. Minimalist 16 1941 May 9, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  The Business Types Want Jesus To Go Fuck Himself Minimalist 10 1686 April 10, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Racists want to bring back segregation KUSA 14 2202 January 19, 2016 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Joods
  And You Can Bet That The Banks Want A Piece Of The Action, Too Minimalist 5 2341 July 11, 2015 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist