Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Is NOT A Gun Control Thread!!
This Is NOT A Gun Control Thread!!
Not looking to round up all firearms in the hands of responsible people. But maybe, just maybe, it's time to take a hard look at how people store their weapons and take them away from waterheads who allow things like this to happen. This is a plea for better gun safety.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51663212

Isn't it sensible and reasonable to REQUIRE people to keep their firearms secured so things like this are less likely to happen? If you drive irresponsibly, you lose your driving license. If a doctor practices irresponsibly, she loses her medical license. A shoddy, irresponsible builder can lose his contractor's license.

A child was shot because a firearm wasn't secured. I get that this was an accident and has absolutely NOTHING to do with school shooting, workplace shootings, and so on.  But it could have been prevented by something as simple as a gun safe.

It's hard to be sure, but it looks like the gun owner wasn't charged with anything.

Fuxxake.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: This Is NOT A Gun Control Thread!!
It is, and to that effect, federal law states that it is unlawful for any licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer to sell or transfer a handgun unless the transferee is provided with a "secure gun storage or safety device". 27 states and DC have explicit CAP laws, and all states (as well as the federal gov) have child endangerment laws.

It's required, but people don't give a shit, and law enforcement doesn't usually want the headache, depending on the amount of melanin in your skin.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
A law that is not enforced is exactly as effective as a law that doesn’t exist.

I think a reasonable approach would be to confiscate the weapon until the owner can show the police a receipt for a gun safe.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"The family has suffered enough." Heard that too many times. According to what I've read stolen guns are the primary weapons used in crimes. I gave up gun collecting when I couldn't face buying another gun safe. The safes were secured to the foundation of the building, you would have needed a tank to get one away.
Here in Michigan - if your guns are stolen - then used illegally you can be held civilly and criminally for your gun's misuse.

The only exception is if they are stolen from a locked safe.

All my guns (except the one on my person) are under lock and key 24/7/365. They always have been.

If someone breaks in while I am gone I don't want to come home to find myself facing an asshole armed with my own gun......

(February 28, 2020 at 7:35 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: It is, and to that effect, federal law states that it is unlawful for any licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer to sell or transfer a handgun unless the transferee is provided with a "secure gun storage or safety device".   27 states and DC have explicit CAP laws, and all states (as well as the federal gov) have child endangerment laws.  

It's required, but people don't give a shit, and law enforcement doesn't usually want the headache, depending on the amount of melanin in your skin.

Not quite right.

What the feds require is the gun be sold with a trigger lock. It does not mandate the use of that lock and if the buyer shows he has a lock (with a reciept of purchase) he is exempt from buying another lock.
(February 28, 2020 at 7:50 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: A law that is not enforced is exactly as effective as a law that doesn’t exist.

I think a reasonable approach would be to confiscate the weapon until the owner can show the police a receipt for a gun safe.

Boru

It's selectively enforced.  Clear federal and state laws on endangerment, neglect, and abuse are very successfully employed, but also very predictably employed along the lines of our specific institutional biases.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:All my guns (except the one on my person) are under lock and key 24/7/365. They always have been.

Then you're not the problem.  Great 

Boru
(February 28, 2020 at 7:26 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not looking to round up all firearms in the hands of responsible people. But maybe, just maybe, it's time to take a hard look at how people store their weapons and take them away from waterheads who allow things like this to happen. This is a plea for better gun safety.

Isn't it sensible and reasonable to REQUIRE people to keep their firearms secured so things like this are less likely to happen? If you drive irresponsibly, you lose your driving license. If a doctor practices irresponsibly, she loses her medical license. A shoddy, irresponsible builder can lose his contractor's license.

A child was shot because a firearm wasn't secured. I get that this was an accident and has absolutely NOTHING to do with school shooting, workplace shootings, and so on.  But it could have been prevented by something as simple as a gun safe.

It's hard to be sure, but it looks like the gun owner wasn't charged with anything.

Fuxxake.

Boru

It isn't a matter of rights. It is a matter of one industry, just like the auto industry drug it's feet, and tobacco lied about it's products, and oil was forced to remove lead from gas. It isn't about denying responsible people. It is about one industry putting profits over public safety. Same as any other industry.

It isn't enough to blame the user. Laws forcing owners to prove they are locking up their firearms is a start. But if you have a flooded market, those laws, while well intended, wont stop the flooded market that makes things like that far too common.
(February 28, 2020 at 9:21 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Here in Michigan - if your guns are stolen - then used illegally you can be held civilly and criminally for your gun's misuse.

Question on point of law, please: If the gun is misused in another state is the owner still liable under the law?
(February 28, 2020 at 10:17 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 28, 2020 at 7:26 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not looking to round up all firearms in the hands of responsible people. But maybe, just maybe, it's time to take a hard look at how people store their weapons and take them away from waterheads who allow things like this to happen. This is a plea for better gun safety.

Fuxxake.

Boru

It isn't a matter of rights. It is a matter of one industry, just like the auto industry drug it's feet, and tobacco lied about it's products, and oil was forced to remove lead from gas. It isn't about denying responsible people. It is about one industry putting profits over public safety. Same as any other industry.

It isn't enough to blame the user. Laws forcing owners to prove they are locking up their firearms is a start. But if you have a flooded market, those laws, while well intended, wont stop the flooded market that makes things like that far too common.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO.

No.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gun Control Leonardo17 38 1624 November 12, 2023 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  THE Gun Thread onlinebiker 1251 111463 August 19, 2022 at 8:25 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why have a gun? onlinebiker 91 3796 April 6, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Gun Church buys 40-Acre Compound Foxaèr 12 1095 May 28, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Another gun discussion part deux. Drich 66 2512 October 8, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Border Control Gets Bipartisan Support onlinebiker 20 1360 August 6, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Thumbs Down Gun Control Crowd Safer? - and a control group onlinebiker 131 9693 April 21, 2020 at 5:24 am
  Yes, Kids - ANOTHER Gun Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1192 September 14, 2019 at 5:51 pm
  More gun deaths zebo-the-fat 42 3686 September 6, 2019 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Vince
  New Gun Regulations In The US Would Be Really, Really Stupid BrianSoddingBoru4 135 11931 May 6, 2019 at 4:55 am