Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jets and the word "miracle".
Jets and the word "miracle".
Once again, the "word" miracle is being used to describe the safe landing after a jet engine failure. NO, it was not a "miracle", it was pilot training and redundancy design in case of failure. If the plain had crashed and everyone had died would it still be called a "miracle"?

Now, I will say it was "amazing" that nobody on the ground was killed by the falling debris. But survival or death isn't a matter of magic, but mere conditions of many factors.
RE: Jets and the word "miracle".
(February 21, 2021 at 12:36 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Once again, the "word" miracle is being used to describe the safe landing after a jet engine failure. NO, it was not a "miracle", it was pilot training and redundancy design in case of failure. If the plain had crashed and everyone had died would it still be called a "miracle"?

Now, I will say it was "amazing" that nobody on the ground was killed by the falling debris. But survival or death isn't a matter of magic, but mere conditions of many factors.
You are looking at the word miracle in one of the meanings...which implies something supernatural, as in a god.  There are other definitions.  

miracle
[color=var(--primtxt)][ˈmirək(ə)l]

[/color]
[color=var(--promtxt)]NOUN[/color]
  1. [color=var(--promtxt)]a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.[/color]
    "the miracle of rising from the grave"
    [color=var(--primtxt)]synonyms:[/color]
    supernatural phenomenon · mystery · prodigy · sign
    • [color=var(--promtxt)]a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.[/color]
      "it was a miracle that more people hadn't been killed or injured"
    • [color=var(--promtxt)]an amazing product or achievement, or an outstanding example of something.[/color]
      "a machine which was a miracle of design" · 
      [color=var(--alinkcol)][more][/color]

wonder · marvel · sensation · [url=https://www.bing.com/search?q=define+phenomenon&FORM=DCTRQY&PC=HCTS][/url]
Check out "a highly improbable..." and "an amazing..."

Not godspeak.  

Some words have more than one meaning.  You can add that you language confusion.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Have a version of that without the nerdspeak?
I’m comfortable with word ‘miracle’ in common usage. It doesn’t necessarily have any more supernatural connotations than, ‘Oh, my god!.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 21, 2021 at 12:53 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Have a version of that without the nerdspeak?

Sure, I'll simplify it for you.

Definition of miracle

1an extraordinary event  divine intervention in human affairs the healing miracles described in the Gospels

2an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment The bridge is a miracle of engineering.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(February 21, 2021 at 12:48 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(February 21, 2021 at 12:36 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Once again, the "word" miracle is being used to describe the safe landing after a jet engine failure. NO, it was not a "miracle", it was pilot training and redundancy design in case of failure. If the plain had crashed and everyone had died would it still be called a "miracle"?

You are looking at the word miracle in one of the meanings...which implies something supernatural, as in a god.  There are other definitions.  

miracle

[/color]
  1. [color=var(--promtxt)]a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.[/color]
    • [color=var(--promtxt)]a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.[/color]
    • [color=var(--promtxt)]an amazing product or achievement, or an outstanding example of something.[/color]

wonder · marvel · sensation · [url=https://www.bing.com/search?q=define+phenomenon&FORM=DCTRQY&PC=HCTS][/url]

Not godspeak.  

Some words have more than one meaning.  You can add that you language confusion.

The folks who invoke that word are not using it the way you are defining it. Most whom use this word mean it to be a god intervening.

It is the same as when the layperson doesn't know the meaning of "theory" in science and try to equate it to a mere guess.

If it is just "improbable" or "amazing" then just use those words. "Miracle" for me has simply too much superstitious baggage to be considered a valid explanation. It is intellectual laziness. Otherwise call it a "miracle" if it crashes and half survive and half die. 

Conditions of the pilots training and the redundancy built into the plane's design are why they landed safely. It was not a "miracle". 

A "miracle" would be if the plane went into helicopter hover when the plane isn't designed to hover. THAT would be a "miracle".

"Miracle" is a nonsense word. It is an an utterance after having an "oh shit" moment and being happy you didn't die. It isn't a word that explains anything. NTSB will investigate and find the answers.
(February 21, 2021 at 1:00 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 21, 2021 at 12:48 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: You are looking at the word miracle in one of the meanings...which implies something supernatural, as in a god.  There are other definitions.  

miracle

[/color]

Not godspeak.  

The folks who invoke that word are not using it the way you are defining it. Most whom use this word mean it to be a god intervening.

It is the same as when the layperson doesn't know the meaning of "theory" in science and try to equate it to a mere guess.

If it is just "improbable" or "amazing" then just use those words. "Miracle" for me has simply too much superstitious baggage to be considered a valid explanation. It is intellectual laziness. Otherwise call it a "miracle" if it crashes and half survive and half die. 

Conditions of the pilots training and the redundancy built into the plane's design are why they landed safely. It was not a "miracle". 

A "miracle" would be if the plane went into helicopter hover when the plane isn't designed to hover. THAT would be a "miracle".

"Miracle" is a nonsense word. It is an an utterance after having an "oh shit" moment and being happy you didn't die. It isn't a word that explains anything. NTSB will investigate and find the answers.

You don't know how people are using the word.

And how you understand it isn't the only way people use it.

(February 21, 2021 at 1:07 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(February 21, 2021 at 1:00 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The folks who invoke that word are not using it the way you are defining it. Most whom use this word mean it to be a god intervening.

You don't know how people are using the word.

And how you understand it isn't the only way people use it.

Not the point. I wouldn't assume everyone who uses isn't chalking it up to a magic sky daddy. 

Even if one is arguing your usage, it is still intellectual laziness. The real answers are going to be found in the NTSB investigation. "Miracle" isn't an explanation. It is a word used as an emotional reaction to stress and surviving that stress. 

If I had been on that plane, I damned sure would have been freaking out and shitting my pants. Just mere turbulence scares the shit out of me. But I would just simply say, "glad I didn't die" and be extremely happy I didn't die. But that is how I would put it.  That is simply one word I hate hearing being used after such events.
Clearly, this is a miracle. I mean if you discount the plane's engineering, the navigation systems onboard, The experienced pilot, and the property damage caused by the falling debris from the plane. What other explanation could there be?

Praise to FSM for guiding this plane safely.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(February 21, 2021 at 1:31 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: Clearly, this is a miracle.  I mean if you discount the plane's engineering, the navigation systems onboard, The experienced pilot, and the property damage caused by the falling debris from the plane.  What other explanation could there be?

Praise to FSM for guiding this plane safely.

We just have to face facts, Apollo saved them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Covid and the word "segregation". OP/ED Brian37 2 309 May 22, 2021 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The bird is the word! Brian37 4 429 November 6, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does The Orange Turdfuhrer Use The N-word? Minimalist 19 2000 August 17, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Word Has It That Minimalist 20 2098 August 22, 2017 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Gun violence/Media & the word "motive"OP/ED Brian37 29 7651 June 14, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Word of Faith Fellowship Church brewer 15 2251 March 10, 2017 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  And They Manage Not To Use The Word "Terrorist" At All! Minimalist 33 6416 February 25, 2017 at 6:15 am
Last Post: abaris
  Now This Would Be A Miracle Minimalist 3 468 June 10, 2016 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  I hope the Discovery Channel keeps their word. Brian37 25 6131 January 5, 2016 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Napal, and the absurd word "Miracle". Brian37 7 1618 April 30, 2015 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Brian37