Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a xtian god be free?
Can a xtian god be free?
Assigning a god the supposed attributes of being the locus of morality, omnibenevolent and freedom to act. Ignoring issues with reality are these attributes contradictory?:

0. If a god exists he is the locus of morality, omnibenevolent and totally free to act.
1. As the locus of morality a god could only ever choose to do good things (such that it is necessarily true that, this god cannot do evil things) as determined by their nature.
2. An ominbenevolent god would only ever choose to do good things (or at lest the maximum amount of good things)
3. A god who is totally free to act must be able to choose to do evil things or not maximise the amount of good things that happen
4. A god does not exist
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
RE: Can a xtian god be free?
Shouldn't this be in Christianity?

Logical flaw on par with making a circle square. God, being the source of all things can only do good. That's how the Xtian God is formulated. therefore God cannot do evil... it's a logical impossibility. Simple fail.
So your god isn't entirely free to act, he cannot perform all logically possible actions because he is limited to doing morally good things (like drowning Japanese people...)

He can't have unlimited power if he lacks the power to do evil, so his omnipotence and omnibenevolence are incompatible.
Quote:God, being the source of all things can only do good.

When you spout utter bullshit like that, Frods, you can't accuse others of logical 'flaws.'
(March 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Shouldn't this be in Christianity?

Logical flaw on par with making a circle square. God, being the source of all things can only do good. That's how the Xtian God is formulated. therefore God cannot do evil... it's a logical impossibility. Simple fail.

Well, when you define "good" as "anything God does", then I suppose your deity can get away with all manner of depravity. Why you would want to worship a being that drowns toddlers is beyond me.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Total freedom isn't even a coherent concept in my view. Philosopher of religion Richard Swinburne defines it as God's acting without his desires exerting any causal influence, but surely the whole point of desires is that they exert a causal influence.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
You cannot intentionally act without desires, period.
(March 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:God, being the source of all things can only do good.

When you spout utter bullshit like that, Frods, you can't accuse others of logical 'flaws.'

He is a Xtian. A Xtian can't but sprout bullshit like that where Xtianity is concerned, otherwise he wouldn't be a Xtian any more. However Xtains may misapply the term free, they are not free to give up the bullshit without also giving up Xtainity.

My understanding is that the Abrahamic God is logically impossible IN THAT: People have ascribed mutually exclusive characteristics to him. Viz; omnipotence, omniscience and omniprescence.

However, Abrahamic mystics through centuries have insisted that being infinite,God may not even be discussed in any meaningful way,he just IS. Coincidentally the meaning of his name YHWH ;" I am who am."

He either exists or he does not. I don't believe due to lack of evidence. I reject the notion of an absolute logical inference in the theoretical. In the practical, logic is usually close enough to inform daily behaviour. Sadly, few human beings are capable of consistent logical thought or behaviour.
I'm a complete non-cognitivist towards that kind of "I am that I am" God, the whole concept is nonsensical so believing in it makes you an idiot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 882 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2622 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is there room for a xtian section in an atheist forum? Bow Before Zeus 70 9659 December 6, 2017 at 4:04 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist drfuzzy 30 7916 September 22, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Here's A Xtian I'll Tip My Hat To Minimalist 0 842 April 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm
  I'm Tired of Xtian Shits With Their Silly Fairy Tales. Minimalist 2 1079 March 9, 2017 at 10:09 pm
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4892 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  a theory about modern xtian deconversion drfuzzy 14 2889 April 29, 2016 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  The Christian God Does Violate Human Free Will Rhondazvous 85 10382 March 5, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  more xtian idiocy in the news drfuzzy 11 3515 November 4, 2015 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: brewer