Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racism = Prejudice + Power?
Racism = Prejudice + Power?
Yeah I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. It's just a way of trying to make it so people can't be called out on their bullshit. Racism =/= System and Institutional Racism. Those mean different things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHMlWDDo...e=youtu.be

RE: Racism = Prejudice + Power?
It makes some sense if you're only talking about it as a political force (what Stokely Carmichael called "institutional racism") but, let's be realistic, the political force can only exist if enough individuals have that prejudice, and to use the prejudice+power argument to talk about it on an individual level reeks of a refusal to properly scrutinise one's own views to see if they might, in fact, be guilty of the same prejudices they fight against.

Really, Rationalwiki has an article dissecting the "prejudice plus power" paradigm and why it simply doesn't work.

For me, any idea of justice that refuses to take into account the idea that "He who fights monsters should see to it that he does not become a monster himself" has failed. Not that it runs the risk of failing, mind you. It has already failed at being justice in the same way a square has failed at being a circle.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 25910 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Who has the power Spongebob 19 1018 January 23, 2022 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5282 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Does the positive side of tribalism/racism outshine the negative side? Greatest I am 58 2122 August 13, 2020 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Race baiting is economic racism Rickimoto 3 453 April 1, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Race baiting, economic reasons. But why isnt it defined as racism? Rickimoto 4 521 April 1, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I've been thinking about racism, immigration, violence, murder and culture Shinri 6 708 October 12, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Penis Lives Matters. How to solve racism Kimmy 27 2595 August 24, 2018 at 3:33 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1227 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1590 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3