Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why build an Ark?
Why build an Ark?
Why did God require Noah to build an Ark, instead of just saying, "Let there be an Ark" or "Let everyone but Noah's family be dead?"
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Why build an Ark?
Had to show that 'true believers' will do anything ordered by gawd, no matter how ridiculous.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(March 21, 2023 at 9:19 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Had to show that 'true believers' will do anything ordered by gawd, no matter how ridiculous.

But he already knew that all other people are bad and impossible of fixing, so watching Noah build that ark made no effect on them. I guess it is the same now.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 21, 2023 at 9:16 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Why did God require Noah to build an Ark, instead of just saying, "Let there be an Ark" or "Let everyone but Noah's family be dead?"

Most likely because mythology about some lucky chosen family surviving a flood using a home built boat had already been in wide circulation in the ancient Middle East since Sumarian times more than two millennia before anyone has ever heard of genesis, before even the times when Noah was alleged to have been told to build the ark.    See the epic of Atra-Hasis

hijacking and repurposing existing fables with cultural resonance is a far quicker and more reliable way to overawe a broad swath of the gullible.        Why seek to invent an airtight fable that may still be treated skeptically because it is unheard of before, when a somewhat dubious fable would serve that had already gained adequate credibility amongst the uncritical through centuries of retelling?
The whole building of the ark pads the plotline. All those cubits and things spelled out instead of how the hell do we get two of each 'kind' of animal to the damn thing.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

That part was likely taken to be obvious by the storyteller. It's helpful to remember that the whole narrative started out as a parable about a wise man who saved his family's livestock from a creek overrunning it's banks. The barge may get bigger with retelling but the central task is always as small as walking a goat and a few chickens up a ramp.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
God vs. Thanos.

God: Instructs a peasant to build a boat and then opens the heavens for 40 days, and then arranges for a bird to show up.
Thanos: Snaps his fingers.

Advantage Thanos.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The whole thing is stupid. Why didn't he just let it rain a few fewer days and have Noah and his menagerie go to high ground?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Riff raff might have followed.
Because then to maintain the illusion that the Bible knows what it’s talking about, it would need to name the high ground.

By the time the Bible was written down, people of the Middle East would have had vague notions that many mountains far higher than the ones with which they were familiar existed somewhere beyond the area which they knew well or even marginally.

Given the yokelish knowledge horizon of the prophets of the omniscient yalweh, any place worth naming would open the Bible to the later question of “well the Hindu Kush, to say nothing of Andes and further Himalayas, or even Alps and Urals, were far higher, and so, what happened to people would naturally would have sought safety there?”

So shortening the period of rain and pointing Noah to a high ground where he could live when everyone else drown would open points of predictable vulnerability that would not serve the purpose for which the narrative was scripted.

i think the truth is the bible is the product of the conflict between the need to pass off lies big enough so the gullible would be overawed along the bigger lies are more easily believed than small ones line, and the need to avoid exposing the liar’s deep ignorance that any big lie might reveal even to minds with average penetration.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did they really find Noah's Ark? Jasper 19 1574 May 25, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Noah's Ark (!) Shows How Seaworthy It Is In A Storm Minimalist 68 13563 January 10, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Noah's Ark water stored underground? Socratic Meth Head 17 3301 June 14, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Ricky Gervais Reading Noah's Ark. Koolay 3 1844 July 10, 2013 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The true story of Noah and the ark FKHansen 0 1520 July 9, 2013 at 7:49 am
Last Post: FKHansen
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11543 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Giant Noah's Ark likely landing in Kentucky orogenicman 81 21157 December 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Phony Ark Hunters Denounced Minimalist 8 3350 December 6, 2010 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Noah's ark circular? leo-rcc 13 4960 January 11, 2010 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Noah's Ark Zoo Darwinian 22 10412 September 4, 2009 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb