Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia: Martyr complex among "no" voters
Australia: Martyr complex among "no" voters
If you think Americans have it bad, we have to deal with similar bullshit here in Australia. Last night on an Australian talk show, a politician by the name of Jacqui Lambie had this to say in defense of those who voted (or would have) voted "no" to same sex marriage.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-mar...54a3cff5ef

Such meanies "yes" voters are, not giving a care about how bigots feel. How dare Australia voted for equality and love and respect and commitment for same sex couples! :'(

FTR, in case you still didn't know, Australia recently voted "yes" via official postal survey to same sex marriage (around 60% of those who voted voted yes, and around 80% elected to vote at all), and in response, the Parliament will do its best to get it legalized soon. So some people are not really happy about this.
RE: Australia: Martyr complex among "no" voters
Funny how the bigots suddenly feel as though someone should care about -their- hurt fee-fee's.  Aint it. LOL, I love that it went straight to baking gaycakes. How unoriginal.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Took a page out of the US playbook for entitled whiners.
It must really hurt because now these poor lovely people want to know if they have to serve people they feel too disgusted with. I almost feel bad for them.
I am all for their feeling like martyrs so long as they really all martyr themselves first.
So many Christians (especially evangelicals and fundies) feel like they are "persecuted".

So I ask them, "If it was the law of the land to kill anyone who professed a belief in Jesus, wouldn't THAT be a far worse persecution of Christians than what exists today?"

Then I point out that this is exactly how atheists were treated for CENTURIES.

It kind of puts the marriage equality complaint to shame, eh?
Ever notice how the religious get either really sad or really mean when they don't get their religious way? Seem childish. (oh no you didn't)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
And another relevant WTF Australia video:

https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/9...7818584064
(November 20, 2017 at 11:01 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: So many Christians (especially evangelicals and fundies) feel like they are "persecuted".

So I ask them, "If it was the law of the land to kill anyone who professed a belief in Jesus, wouldn't THAT be a far worse persecution of Christians than what exists today?"

Not in their point of view.  They will do or say anything that advances the cause of their fairy tales.
(November 20, 2017 at 10:54 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: I am all for their feeling like martyrs so long as they really all martyr themselves first.

They do, figuratively speaking.  There is a strong streak of self abnegation in Christianity.  Many pray to become a vehicle of His will, as though nothing would please them more than look out the portholes of their eyes and watch God make their bodies and words do good stuff.  Sick.

(November 20, 2017 at 11:01 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: So many Christians (especially evangelicals and fundies) feel like they are "persecuted".

They're happy to help stone you.  Just don't ask them to prepare a wreath to mourn your friends who they stoned yesterday.

(November 20, 2017 at 11:06 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Ever notice how the religious get either really sad or really mean when they don't get their religious way? Seem childish. (oh no you didn't)

Apparently if you want to become a god botherer you must become as a little child.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So about the Voice to Parliament (Australia) GrandizerII 7 978 October 7, 2023 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Scott Morrison: Australia PM faces backlash over 'blessed' disability remark Duty 11 772 April 22, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1467 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Jersey Voters Did Pay Attention Minimalist 2 526 November 15, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Independent Voters on the trump presidency Joods 31 2643 October 18, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The GOP once again suppressing voters who disagree with them NuclearEnergy 27 6947 June 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Do extreme right wing males have an inferiority complex NuclearEnergy 38 9061 May 12, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  After leading ACA repeal in the House, Trump praises Australia's universal healthcare Aegon 26 5167 May 6, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Up yours you racist, misogynist, ignorant Trump voters. Whateverist 11 2560 April 10, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  There is No Honor Among Thieves or Whiny Little Bitches Minimalist 13 1840 March 30, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Amarok