Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Biblical circularity.
Biblical circularity.
Having a chat with a born again christian:

"So what makes you think the bible is the word of god?"

"Well, it says "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16)."

"Ah, so you believe it's the word of god because it says it is?"

"No no, you've got it wrong. It says it is because it is the word of god, and people have been believing it for the last two thousand years, so there's got to be something to it."

"Can't you see what you're doing?!"

"Can't I see I'm right? Yes I can thanks."

Obviously, a particularly stubborn and stupid specimen there. However, is that really what it boils down to, people believing it because it says it's divinely inspired, and their parents believed it, and grandparents before them?
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
RE: Biblical circularity.
So, you have the type of moron who would look at this:

[Image: break-the-cycle.jpg?w=495&h=428]

and say "Exactly."

No hope for that dickhead.
Either people believe because they have been brought up in their ridiculous religion or they need it, for example, alcoholics or people who have had a hard life... Oh and because they are retarded.

But anyway, of course it is the word of God...duh... who else's word could it be?... Mentally unstable desert twats? pfft...course not.
Cunt
(June 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So, you have the type of moron who would look at this:

[Image: break-the-cycle.jpg?w=495&h=428]

and say "Exactly."

No hope for that dickhead.

Indeed, I stopped the conversation right there, I'm not into talking to walls. I was wondering if any of the christians here could provide a better explanation though. What are the odds? Tongue

Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
Slim to none.
Bold emphasis mine:

Quote:1 Corinthians 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord:

Quote:1 Corinthians 7:25 Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.

So The Bible says it's the Word of God, except when it doesn't.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQjXgKJrE0
Bible Bashers seem to enjoy committing circular reasoning.
The circularity of bible just proves that some christians will never find their way out and should be given up for dead, after first sealing their church shaped coffins so the stench of intellectual decay doesn't offend people outside.

(June 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm)BloodyHeretic Wrote:

Hello, you told me to respond to this in this thread, so here I am. Smile

Well scripture actually pre-supposes that it is the word of God. This may seem a bit odd at first but when you think about it, it makes good sense. Let’s just assume for the sake of the discussion that the Bible is what it claims to be, the inerrant word of God. Is there any other method that can be used to validate or invalidate this claim? All other methods, such as historical examination and scientific inquiry are not inerrant. So it would be inappropriate to use them to prove or disprove the Bible’s claim about inerrancy. I pre-suppose the Bible is the word of God, I believe non-believers pre-suppose it is not the word of God; there is no middle ground on this subject. So both sides are biased on this matter. Everyone makes pre-suppositions; I just think that presupposing scripture is the word of God offers a far better foundation for my other pre-suppositions. Can I prove it is or is not the word of God? Nope, but I also can’t prove that my senses are reliable, but I still believe they are. Does that make any sense at all my friend? Smile
(June 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(June 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm)BloodyHeretic Wrote:

Hello, you told me to respond to this in this thread, so here I am. Smile

Well scripture actually pre-supposes that it is the word of God. This may seem a bit odd at first but when you think about it, it makes good sense. Let’s just assume for the sake of the discussion that the Bible is what it claims to be, the inerrant word of God. Is there any other method that can be used to validate or invalidate this claim? All other methods, such as historical examination and scientific inquiry are not inerrant. So it would be inappropriate to use them to prove or disprove the Bible’s claim about inerrancy. I pre-suppose the Bible is the word of God, I believe non-believers pre-suppose it is not the word of God; there is no middle ground on this subject. So both sides are biased on this matter. Everyone makes pre-suppositions; I just think that presupposing scripture is the word of God offers a far better foundation for my other pre-suppositions. Can I prove it is or is not the word of God? Nope, but I also can’t prove that my senses are reliable, but I still believe they are. Does that make any sense at all my friend? Smile

Well thanks very much for the response, I appreciate it.

I accept your reasoning that if you presuppose the bible is inerrant that anything that then finds fault with it can be discounted, because we both agree humans are fallible. There is no way to disprove this. The fault I find is in presupposing it.

I don't agree that you have to presuppose it isn't true, if you don't presuppose it is. You can have an open mind about it, be willing to be convinced. If I am open minded, and ask a simple question, how do you know it's inerrant, in an honest attempt to find the truth, is the only answer, because it says it is? If you presuppose something is true, you can make anything fit!

Sam Harris put's it this way, if there were some disaster, that destroyed most of human civilisation, and we forgot all knowledge of religion and literature and culture and technology, when we set about rebuilding our society, what would we learn first? And at what point would we decide the bible, out of all the literary and religious texts, was the truth? How could we test it to find out? What separates it from the qu'ran or the illiad or any other text?

As far as I can see, the only reason people accept it as inerrant and the word of god is because they already believe it is. Don't you think presupposing the truth of something on faith is faulty logic and irrational?

By the way you can indeed prove your senses are reliable, for instance, an eye test.

Einstein

- John Lennon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1464 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10725 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22435 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14603 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5187 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6767 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6346 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  biblical diabetes cure brewer 30 8286 June 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life Panatheist 53 13322 April 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Biblical Christianity 101, a study of the book of Romans Drich 633 90832 December 14, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: KevinM1