Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims
New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/21/new...11victims/

Is is very much an anti atheist piece by fox news.

Quote:City leaders seemed dumbfounded by the atheists’ outrage because no one complained about the sign as it was going through a public approval process. “It’s unfortunate that they didn’t raise this as an issue while it was undergoing its public review either at the community board level or when it came before the City Council on their public agenda,” said Craig Hammerman, the district manager for Brooklyn Community Board 6.

Hammerman told Fox News Radio that the community was “solidly behind this proposal. Not a single person stood up to speak out against it. I think it’s a little late in the process for someone to be bringing this up now.”

“When you think you’ve heard it all, you haven’t,” Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz told Fox News Radio. “These seven brave souls who put their lives on the line and ultimately gave up the most precious gift that could be given, believe me are in heaven for serving us so admirably,” he said.

They'll be mobs with pitch forks after us soon.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims
'believe me'

That's how all this shit started.
Quote: “These seven brave souls who put their lives on the line and ultimately gave up the most precious gift that could be given, believe me are in heaven for serving us so admirably,” he said.

No, they are not, shithead. They are fucking dead.

And your precious city government is trying to screw the ones who are still alive out of a living wage.
This will be more fuel for the 'attack on christian values' argument. Of course, if Islam had a different name for heaven and someone wanted to put that on a street sign, they would be incensed.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: This will be more fuel for the 'attack on christian values' argument. Of course, if Islam had a different name for heaven and someone wanted to put that on a street sign, they would be incensed.

Well, they do have Jannah, and that's a term that tends to frequently be translated as "paradise," so they do have a different name.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The NY atheists are right. There is no justification for grafting superstitious nonsense onto a memorial for people killed whilst doing their job. The memorial would lose no potency by being secular in nature.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Were the cops who died all Christian? We'll never know for sure.
I don't know if I'd get upset about it, but it's pretty damn tacky if you ask me.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
If heaven is in New York, where is hell? New Jersey? BA-Zing!!!!
(June 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm)Genghis Wrote: If heaven is in New York, where is hell? New Jersey? BA-Zing!!!!

If Hell is in Jersey, what does that make L.A.?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going to a Protest and I Need Sign Ideas Seraphina 8 764 June 26, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Saudi Arabia: how did the U.K agree to sign weapon deals with it? WinterHold 6 1101 March 12, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why do people get angry seeing a Burqa ErGingerbreadMandude 65 9693 October 4, 2017 at 11:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Deplorable's are still angry NuclearEnergy 104 12050 March 4, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  New York Times, CNN, others barred from press briefing Aegon 93 13782 February 27, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  A kid on my childhood street and Trump Brian37 45 5748 December 21, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Poll of over 3000 U.S. troops: Gary Johnson preffered over Clinton, Trump ReptilianPeon 7 1813 July 22, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  New Nork Voter Purge: Party afflliation of over 100,000 Democrats changed ReptilianPeon 5 1057 April 20, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Arizona - Republicunt heaven. Minimalist 7 1616 November 10, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Over Here Fox 'News' Would Have A Shit Fit Over This Minimalist 14 2175 December 8, 2014 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Losty