Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higgs Boson Running Out of Places to Hide
Higgs Boson Running Out of Places to Hide

The LHC in Geneva is running two experiments which could hopefully find the Higgs Boson. This is the so-called and mis-named "God Particle." The Standard Model of particle physics predicts its existence, but it is the only sub-atomic particle predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics so-far not found.

The Higgs boson is a hypothetical massive elementary particle. The existence of the particle is postulated to resolve inconsistencies in theoretical physics and attempts are being made to find the particle by experiment, using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN and the Tevatron at Fermilab.

The LHC reports tantalising evidence that the particle may exist, but cautions that such "burps" in the data have been found before, only to be later debunked. The latest data has a deviation of about three sigma (standard deviations, or 1-1.000 in the case of three sigma), but a chance of five sigma (1-1.000.000) is normally required to be accepted as evidence in the physical sciences.

But scientists stress caution over these "excess events", because similar wrinkles have been detected before only to disappear after further analysis.

Either way, if the sub-atomic particle exists it is running out of places to hide, says the head of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern), which runs the LHC.

He told BBC News the collider had now ruled out more of the "mass range" where the Higgs might be.

The new results are based on analyses of data, gathered as the vast machine smashes beams of protons together at close to light speeds.

An example of three-sigma probability is throwing a coin and getting eight heads in a row. Five sigma is twenty heads in a row.

While this is possible by chance, it is extremely unlikely. Another example from life is Mensa: for entry, Mensa requires an IQ score which is about two sigma above the norm. That is about one in fifty.

The entire article is available at the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14258601

James.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Higgs Boson Running Out of Places to Hide
Will finding this particle help to develope a unified theory in physics?
(July 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm)kriskiran Wrote: Will finding this particle help to develope a unified theory in physics?

From Wikipedia, that font of all human knowledge (citation needed):

"The Higgs boson is the only Standard Model particle that has not been observed in particle physics experiments. It is a consequence of the so-called Higgs mechanism which is the part of the Standard Model that explains how most of the known elementary particles become massive. For example, the Higgs boson would explain the difference between the massless photon, which mediates electromagnetism, and the massive W and Z bosons, which mediate the weak force. If the Higgs boson exists, it is an integral and pervasive component of the material world." https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e...iggs_boson

James

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
(July 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm)kriskiran Wrote: Will finding this particle help to develope a unified theory in physics?

Who knows. Do cars build roads?

Silly question, I know. But so is it silly to ask such a cart-before-the-horse question.
(July 24, 2011 at 3:37 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote:

Who knows. Do cars build roads?

Silly question, I know. But so is it silly to ask such a cart-before-the-horse question.

Yeah. I know. From the thread i thought the standard model was this thing. Been hearing about it for last few years. Just curious. Smile
The discovery of the mechanisms that produce the force we know as 'gravity' and warps space-time are what will help lead up to a GUT.

The Higgs is one such proposed and considered likely mechanism for such.

This related thread is interesting not just because the Tevitron at Fermilabs appears to have recorded observations that could be the Higgs particle, but also because if confirmed it would mean that the Higgs particle does not conform to what the Standard Model says it should be.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(July 24, 2011 at 4:04 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: The discovery of the mechanisms that produce the force we know as 'gravity' and warps space-time are what will help lead up to a GUT.

The Higgs is one such proposed and considered likely mechanism for such.

There is also Technocolor theory and not so long ago, Cern and Fermi labs pulished that they had indications of technocolor fermion which would indicate addition forces to the the 5 we know of. This also would support the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model a Grand Unification Theory that uses a special subset of the S8 symmetries.
The cosmos, like a good book, does not give up all of it's secrets at once eh..lol. Stephen King, philosopher at large..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 812 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In What Way is the Higgs Boaon Unstable? Rhondazvous 4 748 September 15, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1794 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3188 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Are Scientists Still Looking for the Higgs Boson? Rhondazvous 24 8314 July 18, 2017 at 4:48 am
  1964 Penzias/Wilson and Higgs: Coincidence? Confluent Knowledge? Rhondazvous 15 4801 July 8, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Happy 5th Higgs Day! Alex K 17 5457 July 5, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4906 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
  Need Info from Alex About the Higgs Boson Rhondazvous 14 4421 June 8, 2017 at 10:15 am
  A new Boson? Alex K 71 10616 March 19, 2016 at 5:09 pm