Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Argument From Design
The Argument From Design
Hey gang, a few weeks back I cracked my tailbone. It hurt, a lot. If anyone has ever damaged their tailbone, hopefully you will relate to this and sympathise. When I went to the doctor to get some advice (and more importantly, painkillers) he said that there wasn't much that could be done, and explained that the tailbone serves no function and is a remnant from one of our ancestors that had a tail. This got me thinking about the creationist/ID crew and how 'everything seems to be designed'.

Well I thought, since the people that make the argument from design are usually fairly simple, instead of quoting scientific mumbo-jumbo at them that they have no hope of understanding, why don't we all rattle off a list of some things that actually make it seem impossible that we were designed? I'll kick us off:

1. Tailbone - serves no purpose
2. Appendix - serves no purpose
3. Gall bladder - can easily live without it
4. Kidneys - can survive with one (admittedly, not ideal)
5. Reproduction - if we are designed, why do only a minority of fertilised eggs come to full term?

Over to you, pals. And don't feel restricted by the human body. Just thought it would be a good place to start, since I am one. Go nuts with whatever takes your fancy.
RE: The Argument From Design
Can't...do it.....their argument is too ignorant......:collapses:

No, seriously here's a big one. For me. If we were designed to be what we are, and the world was designed to accommodate us. Then why has it taken ten thousand years for us to get to a point where we, as human beings, have re-engineered food crops enough that we can even begin to look at dealing with a problem like "world hunger", or even, on a more local level, the number of people who are starving in say a 1 mile radius of you?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And somewhat related, why are there areas of the planet (ie Antarctica) that are uninhabitable to humans?
There are so many beautiful things in nature. I can't help but to think that there is a designer for them.

Like this leaf insect:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/5290...f4f336.jpg

Or the Indonesian mimic octopus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8oQBYw6xxc

... and millions of other animals who each have their own unique adaptions, hunting abilities, food, a place to live, etc. It's like someone made it like this!
Yeah might look like that to a puny ape mind Rayaan but it's just that you can't comprehend any other alternatives than to say "god did it".

My personal favourite (stolen from Doubting Thomas) is that if god really designed us, then why the fuck do I have to wipe my own ass after I've taken a dump.
(August 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm)Rayaan Wrote: There are so many beautiful things in nature. I can't help but to think that there is a designer for them.

Then you are one sorry shallow minded fellow incapable of emerging from underneath instinct and wishthinking dominated world view.

If 'god' is such a great "designer" then why is the moon

[Image: moon.jpg]

pockmarked with impact craters? Doesn't 'god' understand how to set up an orbit so things don't crash into each other?
(August 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm)Chuck Wrote: Then you are one sorry shallow minded fellow incapable of emerging from underneath instinct and wishthinking dominated world view.

Maybe I am. :S

But, I find it less likely that all of this would come about simply as a product of mindless forces acting in the universe. Things evolve but what really guides them?
(August 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Maybe I am. :S

But, I find it less likely that all of this would come about simply as a product of mindless forces acting in the universe. Things evolve but what really guides them?

You'll never understand that things aren't "guided" Rayaan until you lose your all-powerful sky-daddy. Nature does not need him....and I can't fucking stand him.
(August 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm)Rayaan Wrote: But, I find it less likely that all of this would come about simply as a product of mindless forces acting in the universe. Things evolve but what really guides them?

Why? It's already fucking demonstrated that this happens, yet bumfucks like you completely ignore it and then make profoundly ignorant statements that it's somehow more likely that some divine force guiding everything.

The only force which guides the universe in that respect is gravity, and we can demonstrate why that is the case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Working Draft Design Argument Acrobat 54 5085 October 19, 2019 at 10:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Intelligent Design (brief overview). Mystic 70 12799 May 9, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Intelligent (?) Design Minimalist 12 4272 August 21, 2017 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44735 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  The stupid "Apex" "design" argument..... Brian37 23 5797 March 4, 2016 at 11:32 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Intelligent Design, The Designer is Drunk! Mental Outlaw 6 2191 March 15, 2015 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why intelligent design "proofs" are pointless robvalue 27 6389 September 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  I find it hilarious when men argue intelligent design. Lemonvariable72 10 4426 December 3, 2013 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Derren Brown on 'Intelligent' Design Gooders1002 0 1181 December 8, 2012 at 6:20 am
Last Post: Gooders1002
  'Intelligent' design? Rokcet Scientist 79 26379 March 12, 2012 at 10:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger