Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S&P Seen Surrendering to Tea Party
S&P Seen Surrendering to Tea Party
BLOOMBERG By Zeke Faux - Aug 8, 2011

Standard & Poor’s, the rating company that downgraded the debt of the United States to AA+ from AAA for the first time, now finds itself assailed by investors led by billionaire Warren Buffett for making a political decision that has more to do with Tea Party politics than the financial stability of the U.S.

S&P officials, shrugging off a $2 trillion calculation error, blamed “uncertainty” in the policymaking process on Aug. 5 when they cut the assessment of the U.S. government’s ability to pay its debt, citing Congress’s failure to agree on as much long-term deficit reduction as the credit-rating company wanted. Buffett, the world’s most successful investor, said S&P erred and the U.S. should be rated “quadruple-A.”

I love politicians and those rich white men behind the curtain. I especially love them when they're slow and the Hummer I rented is full and fast approaching their crosswalk.

What!Angel
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
RE: S&P Seen Surrendering to Tea Party
S & P was front and center rating these subprime mortgage derivative as AAA in order to make them acceptable to pension funds. What is needed is to stand a couple of them up against a wall and shoot them just to send a message to the other republicolibertarianazi cocksuckers.
(August 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: S & P was front and center rating these subprime mortgage derivative as AAA in order to make them acceptable to pension funds. What is needed is to stand a couple of them up against a wall and shoot them just to send a message to the other republicolibertarianazi cocksuckers.
On Wall street at high noon, at that.

Hell, I'd give 5 minutes off my life to see that happen in real life.
I'm not kidding.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
I don't know about giving 5 minutes of my life but I'd gladly serve on the firing squad.

I'd even use my .75 caliber musket just to make a big hole.
LOL, You and your anti gun tirades, meanwhile you have a cannon in your closet.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Real men use howitzers to blow away their enemies. Wink
(August 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't know about giving 5 minutes of my life but I'd gladly serve on the firing squad.

I'd even use my .75 caliber musket just to make a big hole.
Well how's this, I'll give 5 minutes off my life because five minutes isn't that much to do a whole lot with, especially since I'm not afraid of death, because without that 5 you don't get to lock and load. Tongue

Besides, a bow and arrow would do nicely. Let them see it coming and feel it going in. Over and over again until the quiver is empty. They'll look like a turkey,with all those feathers sticking out...at the top of the many many shafts.

(August 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: BLOOMBERG By Zeke Faux - Aug 8, 2011

Standard & Poor’s, the rating company that downgraded the debt of the United States to AA+ from AAA for the first time, now finds itself assailed by investors led by billionaire Warren Buffett for making a political decision that has more to do with Tea Party politics than the financial stability of the U.S.

S&P officials, shrugging off a $2 trillion calculation error, blamed “uncertainty” in the policymaking process on Aug. 5 when they cut the assessment of the U.S. government’s ability to pay its debt, citing Congress’s failure to agree on as much long-term deficit reduction as the credit-rating company wanted. Buffett, the world’s most successful investor, said S&P erred and the U.S. should be rated “quadruple-A.”

I notice you've ignored the quotes from other people who had a contrary opinion in that very same article... “I think S&P has demonstrated some spine; they finally got it right,” Bill Gross, the manager of the world’s biggest bond fund and co-chief investment officer at Pacific Investment Management Co"

Krugman almost get's it right; "“There is no reason to take Friday’s downgrade of America seriously,” Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman said in a New York Times column. “These are the last people whose judgment we should trust.”" Considering these morons had sub-prime loans rated AAA I'd say they have almost no credibility, then again, if this is a measure of their credibility the Fed and US govt has no credibility either, they completely missed it too, Bernanke was insisting that the sub-prime mortgages weren't a problem right up until the collapse... By this standard you'd suspect they'd be listening to the people who did warn against the bogus ratings like Schiff.... Nope.

Also, shouldn't the credibility of the two equally bad rating agencies, Moody's and Fitch also be questioned? After all, they got it just as wrong as S&P during the crisis yet nobody is doubting their AAA rating... If anything these agencies have a history of drastically over-rating credit, not under rating it. It's rather clearly a case of the US doubting the credibility of ratings agencies only when they say something they don't want to hear...

Saying the USA should have the highest possible rating is by any standard absurd, it has to be a relative measure of the probability of a country paying it's debts and at the moment there are more secure nations elsewhere, making the US an "AAAA" rating should in turn make Australia an "AAAAAA" rated country - The fact Buffet suggests the US should have a non-existent rating is also bizarre - Oh, wait, no it isn't, he owns Moody's! Bashing S&P while ignoring the same failings of his own company makes him $$$ - Oh, and his Birkshire firm was recently downgraded too...

The article also has some pretty egregious errors; "The U.K., with a debt estimated at 80 percent of GDP this year, or 6 percentage points higher than the U.S" - This is entirely disingenuous, they are comparing the Gross debt of the UK with the public debt of the USA, a valid comparison would be 80% UK vs 106% USA.

Also, it's abundantly clear that the major reason for the US retaining anything like a AA credit rating is their currencies status of global reserve - "They can just print money and devalue the dollar to pay off the debts, as Greenspan says "Alan Greenspan, Former Chairman of the Federal Reserve: “Very much so. This is not an issue of credit rating, the United States can pay any debt it has because we can always print money to do that. So, there is zero probability of default.”" - That's right folks, they're going to devalue your wages and savings via Quantitative easing, transferring wealth into banks to buy treasuries...

And China has a lower credit rating? That strikes me as ridiculous... They are in a much better fiscal position, their debt to GDP is 19% and shrinking rapidly... I would rate their chances of paying back debt as far better, yet they have a AA- rating...

(August 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: S & P was front and center rating these subprime mortgage derivative as AAA in order to make them acceptable to pension funds. What is needed is to stand a couple of them up against a wall and shoot them just to send a message to the other republicolibertarianazi cocksuckers.

But Buffet gets off the hook, right? If you're going to line up and shoot people he should be, after all his company was equally responsible for giving shitty securities a AAA rating.
I didn't ignore a thing. I gave a brief cut / paste of the opening of the article because it's against the posting rules to post the whole article.
You must have conveniently forgot about those.

Brian Tracy
(August 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: I didn't ignore a thing. I gave a brief cut / paste of the opening of the article because it's against the posting rules to post the whole article.
You must have conveniently forgot about those.

I didn't complain that you didn't post the whole article, I complained that you took one side only Tongue There were roughly an equal number of people for and against the downgrade quoted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republican Party Purge Foxaèr 11 756 April 15, 2021 at 11:27 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 285 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1517 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Theresa May seen off the coast of Blackpool Cod 0 325 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  The Iowa Republican Party platform. Jehanne 14 1447 August 20, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Refusing service because of political party. brewer 212 31283 July 11, 2018 at 3:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Green Party, Huh? Minimalist 0 354 March 17, 2018 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Watch Out For The Poison Tea, Man Minimalist 4 504 March 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Crazies Will Run This Poor Bastard Out of the Republicunt Party Minimalist 0 438 September 28, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16034 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand