Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quote for agnostics
A quote for agnostics
"If you're not willing to pretend that matters of god can be certain, you're an atheist, and just say that, you fucking pussy."
-- Pen Jillette
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: A quote for agnostics
An atheist justification for themselves... that it's pretence. After all, no one could propose something we're unable to rationally defeat :S
Not at all. The point is that so called agnostics are atheists, but for whatever reason do not use the term.

Edit: Although it is an atheist talking so he must either be calling people stupid or justifying his own beliefs, right?Dodgy
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Agnostics are atheists. They don't believe just as us atheists do.
They just want to be different.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020

Quote:"If you're not willing to pretend that matters of god can be certain, you're an atheist, and just say that, you fucking pussy."
-- Pen Jillette

Bollocks

By definition,an agnostic can be an an a-theist or a theist.

The terms have very different meanings. Atheism is about lack of BELIEF ,agnosticism is about lack of KNOWLEDGE.

----and Penn Jillette is an ignorant autodidact with a chip on his shoulder.

(September 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: Agnostics are atheists. They don't believe just as us atheists do.
They just want to be different.

Bollocks.

An agnostic does not necessarily say he does not believe, he may say only that he does not know.

The agnostic may believe in a god,but also believe that god is unknowable.That position has been common among mystics for centuries.
(September 22, 2011 at 4:21 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Not at all. The point is that so called agnostics are atheists, but for whatever reason do not use the term.

Not all. I am both atheist (I do not believe in any deities) and agnostic (I do not know[1] of the existence/non-existence of deities). There are also agnostic theists (who believe, but do not know).

Agnosticism isn't some point along the axis of belief/non-belief. It's something entirely different.

[1] "Know" as in "justified true belief".
Quote:ot all. I am both atheist (I do not believe in any deities) and agnostic (I do not know[1] of the existence/non-existence of deities). There are also agnostic theists (who believe, but do not know).

Agnosticism isn't some point along the axis of belief/non-belief. It's something entirely different.

Then there are theists who don't know either, but like to pretend that their particular brand of bullshit doesn't stink.
Agnostics are simply chicken atheists who cowardly play both sides against the middle.
(September 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: Agnostics are simply chicken atheists who cowardly play both sides against the middle.

A silly,ignorant and untrue thing to say.

(see my explanation post#5, above)
(September 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: Agnostics are simply chicken atheists who cowardly play both sides against the middle.

I agree. Being 99.9999% certain that gods do not exist means the tag atheist just about covers it.
Agnostics amplify the 00.0001% chance of gods existing . Why?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian in need of help (feeling uneasy about God quote)!! MellisaClarke 99 30917 May 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Add your favorite JESUS QUOTE in this thread for comedy relief!! 21stCenturyIconoclast 33 4412 January 22, 2017 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Quote from GotQuestions.org ignoramus 37 9387 July 7, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Your Kit quote for the day Foxaèr 13 4021 April 26, 2015 at 9:45 am
Last Post: John V
  "With or without religion.." Quote. Is Weinberg wrong? sagersager1 80 14574 January 7, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: sagersager1
  Found This Quote Minimalist 4 2741 October 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Shocked A Good Quote I Found On Youtube...(yes, Youtube) freedomfromforum 3 1509 July 28, 2013 at 11:19 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Where is this quote from? goddamnit 5 2343 June 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  An interesting quote Nine 14 5835 April 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: fuckass365
  New study finds atheists/agnostics "the most knowledgeable" about religion. theVOID 45 17538 October 1, 2010 at 4:18 am
Last Post: fr0d0