Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Songs that aren't hits or classics, but should be.
Songs that aren't hits or classics, but should be.
Another song thread... This one for songs that weren't hits, or aren't classics - but were nonetheless great songs within their genre.

Guidelines are simple and somewhat subjective. Apply them to the best of your knowledge.

1) Any musical genre, artist, or year - no matter how well-known or obscure.
2) Can't have been released as an A-side single.
3) Didn't make the charts.
4) Didn't get significant airplay.
5) Is a great song - to you.
6) Is or would likely be liked by a fan of the artist / genre.

So for example, "Hey hey what can I do?" by Led Zeppelin wouldn't count because although it was a B side single, it did and does get significant airplay.

In your posts, try to give the genre, song title, artist, album, year, and why you think it belongs here. A link to a youtube video would be nice as well.
RE: Songs that aren't hits or classics, but should be.
Switchfoots "The Blues" I know I know they are a "christian" band, but I don't care. They make great music and to me this song is just amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96lKwLjxa7w
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ThBggr4Ic

This may not completely fit the criteria, as i think James Taylor may have released this in the states, though it's release was years after it first appeared on one of his albums (think it was "sweet baby james"). I love how he talks about what inspired the track before he plays it too, plus it's funny and well written/performed. It should have done much better than it did. enjoy Big Grin
My first contribution

Rock, Wolfmother, "Violence of the Sun", 2009

Hailing from Australia, 60's and 70's rock-inspired Wolfmother has had a fair number of hits that got airplay and found chart success, but this isn't one of them. They primarily play smaller venues when they headline USA tours. This is one of my favorite tracks from their second album, which featured 4 singles. Their eponymously titled debut album had 6 singles that made the charts somewhere in the world.

(October 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: Switchfoots "The Blues" I know I know they are a "christian" band, but I don't care. They make great music and to me this song is just amazing.

Good music is good music regardless of the beliefs of the artist. Nice pick.

(October 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm)Jay1982 Wrote: This may not completely fit the criteria, as i think James Taylor may have released this in the states, though it's release was years after it first appeared on one of his albums (think it was "sweet baby james"). I love how he talks about what inspired the track before he plays it too, plus it's funny and well written/performed. It should have done much better than it did.

Nice performance. I don't know if it was ever released as a single, but it did appear on one of his compilation albums. I say it belongs. My thread, my rules, so let it be written, so let it be done.

Cool Shades

this would be my nod to a genre that has nearly vanished. Great guitar riff at 3:42, but all round a great song.

[Image: Evolution.png]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySY12HseTcM

I did the Bass, Rythm guitar, and lead guitar

I wrote the drums custom in Cakewalk Producer

My wife did the multi track vocals.

...oh yeah, I did the opening animation as well.

LYRICS:
Every day the preachers say
"The only way is Christ"
"dont speak out!"
They scream and shout
and make you pay the price

They don't want your freedom
They dont care at all
"Trust the word" is all you've heard
and soon enough you fall.

-Chorus-------------------------------------------
They drive your body to the edge of disaster
even though you know it's wrong
Never resting you're falling faster
even though you try
All night long
----------------

Every day the preacher says that
he's the one who's right
It's not hard to start a war
or take somebodies life

Send the soldiers for Jesus
soon they lay in pain
it goes to show thats all they know
and lost their lives in vain
Quote:"The Thing That Should Not Be", Metallica

I'm in agreement here. This is the second of two Metallica songs I can think of connected to H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos.

I do recall "Thing" getting limited airplay on the local hard rock/heavy metal station, and it's certainly a fan favorite. The live version performed with the San Francisco symphony orchestra is awesome. Having seen Metallica live about 6 or 7 times over the last 25 years, it's also apparently a recurring favorite on their live set list.

The second Cthulu-inspired song "The Call of Ktulu" was also done with the SF symphony - I can recall thinking back in the early/mid 80's that it would be a perfect song to do with a backing orchestra. I'm glad they did it, nearly 20 years later. The texture of the orchestral version is very different from the studio version - in many places the symphony is given front stage. I've included both versions.

"The Thing That Should Not Be", with full orchestral backing

"The Call of Ktulu", with full orchestral backing

"The Call of Ktulu", original studio version.

(October 19, 2011 at 1:35 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote: I did the Bass, Rythm guitar, and lead guitar

I wrote the drums custom in Cakewalk Producer

My wife did the multi track vocals.

Nice work! It's cool you were able to do all of the instrumental work and lead vocals yourself - shows talent.

I wouldn't have guessed that the drum work was synthesized without careful listening. Lack of any skill whatsoever on the drums has kept me from recording anything so ambitious - and rock just ain't the same without percussion, with one exception being El Dinero's fine acoustic solo work.

This all reminds me - I need to take my ESP into the shop tomorrow for a tuneup.
Sorry, I changed the post...It was 2 am here... I figured no one would notice, and I reposted some original stuff.

I still dig your post though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwg58wfB798

I think this one fits ALL of the prerequisites to a tee!

It is a classic YES song, all but forgotten, unfortunately. There are only three known live recordings of this song, all done in the 1970s, and all bootleg. They haven't played live it since, which I believe is most unfortunate, since I believe it was their finest work. It's long, melodic, yet has jammin riffs, mind numbing harmonies, and unsurpassed guitar and keyboard passages. Definitely NOT top 40.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What songs or artists send you diving for the off button? arewethereyet 139 10486 March 2, 2024 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Favourite Songs In Oddly Specific Catagories BrianSoddingBoru4 3 345 February 23, 2022 at 5:45 pm
  Post Trippy Songs vulcanlogician 69 5009 August 20, 2021 at 7:51 am
  What are some songs that have changed their meaning completely over time? FlatAssembler 1 243 November 15, 2020 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Sal
  Songs of your first crush....... Brian37 16 1661 April 3, 2020 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Translating Songs FlatAssembler 28 2836 February 24, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  ♫Should I stay or should I go...♫ (Not a music thread.) Gawdzilla Sama 7 886 August 17, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Stalky songs that make you think. Brian37 2 557 August 4, 2018 at 10:26 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Songs That Energize You Edwardo Piet 16 2908 June 30, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Favourite Parody/funny/quirky songs and music videos The Valkyrie 27 3444 January 25, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: paulpablo