Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theologian Attempts Censorship After Losing Debate
Theologian Attempts Censorship After Losing Debate
Theologian John Haught refuses to release video of his debate with Jerry Coyne after apparently losing embarrassingly badly. Permission was granted before the debate, but Haught decided he didn't want the tape released & Dr. Robert Rabel, head of the Gaines Center for the Humanities, decided that was a fair thing to allow.

The most telling part:
Quote:Haught responds to my email asking him to change his mind. His short response says that the event “failed to meet what I consider to be reasonable standards of fruitful academic exchange,” and that he would have no further comment.

Way to stay classy University of Kentucky.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com...ur-debate/
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: Theologian Attempts Censorship After Losing Debate
Chances are somebody around town recorded it themselves. Wonder if this will create a big enough ruckus to make it in our paper?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
They Striesand Effect kicked in & now John Haught & the school are recanting on their decision due to public outrage.

Debate here.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Wonder if John Haught will change his mind on the things Jerry Coyne pointed out, or whether he will just keep believing them because he wants to.

Jaysyn, thanks for linking that debate to your post I thoroughly enjoyed watching Haught have his ass handed to him in a straightforward manner. I've read Coyne's book 'Why Evolution Is True' and found it to be very informative and an essential read for anyone wanting to gain a good understanding about evolution.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(November 3, 2011 at 7:44 am)Jaysyn Wrote: They Striesand Effect kicked in & now John Haught & the school are recanting on their decision due to public outrage.

Debate here.

Thanks.
But it drones on and on for more than an hour! A sermon is more invigorating!
Is there anything new in there? Anything we should absolutely know about? And if so, how far in is it?
(November 4, 2011 at 5:43 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote:
(November 3, 2011 at 7:44 am)Jaysyn Wrote: They Striesand Effect kicked in & now John Haught & the school are recanting on their decision due to public outrage.

Debate here.

Thanks.
But it drones on and on for more than an hour! A sermon is more invigorating!
Is there anything new in there? Anything we should absolutely know about? And if so, how far in is it?

So you couldn't finish it either, eh!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Thank God" after the fact. Brian37 44 2654 June 4, 2021 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2445 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 54259 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Conspiracy after the fact onlinebiker 7 1538 October 14, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Losing virginity" - what is being lost here? Fake Messiah 36 4044 September 12, 2018 at 9:14 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3393 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Debate: God Exists Azu 339 56073 March 31, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  What is the logic in "life after death"? Fake Messiah 52 8076 March 11, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: comet
  Should we be following scholars debate. Mystic 14 3247 March 23, 2016 at 1:04 am
Last Post: The Atheist
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5315 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome