Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truth and Fact
Truth and Fact
In Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, Indiana Jones says in one of his lectures that his class is about the search for facts, not truth. He says "If truth is what you are after... [the] philosophy class is down the hall."

I recently had a discussion about this on another forum. Are truth and fact the same or can one hold a truth that is not a fact?
Love 'n' hugz,

Lord Chad
4th Earl of Catsuit

There is nothing more dangerous than a man who knows he is right.
RE: Truth and Fact
Popcorn

Nothing worthwhile to contribute - I suck at philosophy - but I'm going to enjoy this one.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Truth and Fact
LOL, the minute someone mentions philosophy the conversation immediately devolves into an argument over the definition of words.

So, going by your use of both words in context....

True-Consistent with fact or reality; not false or erroneous.
Fact-something that actually exists; reality; truth.

It's obvious that one can assert that something is true that isn't consistent with fact, they'd be bending our language to breaking point, but it can be done. The thing your describing would best be worded as "personal conviction" which does not have to be true, or factual.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 6703 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2125 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is truth. deepend 50 3075 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 4988 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2678 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 8940 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  ...Truth? Definitely Disillusioned 93 19147 June 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1055 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  Is there objective Truth? Soldat Du Christ 455 48572 November 7, 2016 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8129 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip