Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seriously.
Seriously.
What is the problem with a flat tax? 10% across the board. No deductions for kids or whatever.

Seems to me that is the most fair taxation of all. Everyone pays 10% (arbitrary number, could be whatever 9, 8, 12) of their total income.
No deductions, total gross income for individuals, total net profits for buisnesses. Simple shit, what opposition can you have with this?

Super simple tax code, minimum paperwork, simplified payroll deductions. I'm sure there would be many other tangible benifits also.

Somebody school me here. What am I not seeing?

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: Seriously.
Because 10% of my income is 5,700 and I barely make ends meet as it is.

10% of Bill Gates income would still leave him room to make hundreds of people's ends meet.

Is that simple enough for you!?
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/busine...oblem.html

10% of my income is more money than a friend of mine (with 2 kids) makes in a year. As it stands today, she depends on her tax return (with various credits) to "catch up". A 10% tax rate would be no big deal for me - it would be ruinous to her. It would literally erase 35% of the money she has to live on (assuming you're doing away with credits along with the deductions).
Quote:Because 10% of my income is 5,700 and I barely make ends meet as it is.

10% of Bill Gates income would still leave him room to make hundreds of people's ends meet.

I see nothing wrong with that.

Damn it! I hate math. So you make 57,000 dollars a year? Why is it you are 'barely making ends meet'?

10% of mine is 2500 and I do just fine. But that's beside the point, it's not based on your lifestyle, just your income. So what if Bill Gates has billions left after his 10%? So what if you have $51,300 after your taxes. So what if I have $22,500.

We all paid an equal percentile of our income. We earn what we earn.

Do you have anything better than that? I'm not feeling sorry for you or jealous of Bill.

(December 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: 10% of my income is more money than a friend of mine (with 2 kids) makes in a year.

See above.

(December 14, 2011 at 9:17 pm)aleialoura Wrote: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/busine...oblem.html

The hard step in figuring your tax bill is to compute your taxable income...

There's the first problem. No "adjusted" gross income, just Gross. That's it.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Let me put it more plainly.

Your proposal fucks the working poor in the ass.
In addition, doesn't taxing business to pay tax on net profits allow them to continue the same accounting shenanigans they've been doing forever? I ask because you did make the distinction that it was net profits (I.e. bottom line) rather than gross (e.g. EBITDA).
His "proposal" relies on these fantasies:

1) Rich people earned it the hard way.
2) You earn what you deserve
3) You magically can support losing percentages of your income when you are low income instead of judging based off of cost of living.

(December 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm)Dotard Wrote: Damn it! I hate math. So you make 57,000 dollars a year? Why is it you are 'barely making ends meet'?

Because I live in the motherfucking Bay Area and support three people? I live extraordinarily cheaply, take the two hour train to and from my work, and it still is fucking expensive. Did I also mention that I live in the mountains?

If my entire salary went just to me, you can be fucking assured I'd be A-OK. But I'm not. Why?

Because the world isn't fucking ideal and many, many people support more than their own hides.

(December 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm)Dotard Wrote: 10% of mine is 2500 and I do just fine. But that's beside the point, it's not based on your lifestyle, just your income. So what if Bill Gates has billions left after his 10%? So what if you have $51,300 after your taxes. So what if I have $22,500.

What is it? WHAT IS IT?

Money is not a "magical infinite spring" -- it can be better approximated as a zero sum game. So if Billy G. has billions in storage, what economic good can that possibly do?

None, because it is cloistered away and held like some reservoir.

So the "benefit" (often espoused by trickle-down-cock suckers) is nil even then, because the fucking cash just sits there.

(December 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm)Dotard Wrote: We all paid an equal percentile of our income. We earn what we earn.

Do you have anything better than that? I'm not feeling sorry for you or jealous of Bill.

Nope, I think "No, because it will wipe out my support net to help some money-hoarding billionaire families and I fucking don't like it" is a pretty damn good argument.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Quote:What is the problem with a flat tax? 10% across the board. No deductions for kids or whatever.

Because it then becomes a regressive tax that fucks the poor far more than the rich.

Coincidentally ( or not ) this idea is being pushed by rich fucks.

Now. Why do you think that is, Dote?
I'd find this a lot more palatable with a generous personal exemption, say a million dollars.
Flat tax works in a non-capitalist society where the taxes go towards collective needs, and not towards wars and non-necessary public spending. If you could be guaranteed free education, health care, etc. with a flat tax then it would be easily accepted. But the problem comes in when everyone pays the same percentage but all of the tax money doesn't go towards collective needs.
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As Economy Crashes, Democracts Finally Start To Take Impeactment Seriously. ReptilianPeon 28 1888 September 22, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  'Sovereign Citizens.' Seriously? BrianSoddingBoru4 29 1825 August 21, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Is this seriously worth it? Guantanmo inmate never charged with a crime, dies after 11 years in US custody Hovik 66 26127 September 26, 2012 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Lawsuit Claims Obama Can't Be President Because He's Black. Seriously. reverendjeremiah 27 8252 February 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Seriously, Newt? Seriously? DeistPaladin 5 1821 November 17, 2011 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin