Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 10:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists, what does faith mean to you?
RE: Theists, what does faith mean to you?
(August 11, 2015 at 6:35 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I have had something supernatural happen to me. My mom was there and saw it too so I know it wasn't just me.

I'm very curious what it was and also how you ruled out natural causes.  But I'm happy to hear about it privately if you do not want to declare open season to the more rabid among us.
Thanks! It's something I keep private. Apart from family, I can count on one hand the number of people I've actually told the story to, so it's nothing personal with anyone here. I'm now wondering if it was even right for me to have brought it up so publicly.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
You were possessed? :o
(August 11, 2015 at 10:23 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Thanks! It's something I keep private. Apart from family, I can count on one hand the number of people I've actually told the story to, so it's nothing personal with anyone here. I'm now wondering if it was even right for me to have brought it up so publicly.

No worries CL. Smile

I'm not afraid to say I too have experienced something I would call supernatural. Not in a positive sense either. Scared me to my core.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(August 11, 2015 at 10:30 pm)lkingpinl Wrote:
(August 11, 2015 at 10:23 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Thanks! It's something I keep private. Apart from family, I can count on one hand the number of people I've actually told the story to, so it's nothing personal with anyone here. I'm now wondering if it was even right for me to have brought it up so publicly.

No worries CL. Smile

I'm not afraid to say I too have experienced something I would call supernatural. Not in a positive sense either. Scared me to my core.

share share share
(August 11, 2015 at 10:32 pm)pool Wrote:
(August 11, 2015 at 10:30 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: No worries CL. Smile

share share share

Certainly.

I suffered from night terrors from the ages 10-14. I had recurring nightmares of a cloaked figure continually chasing me. One night they were so bad I awoke and could not move. It literally felt as if someone was sitting on my chest. At the foot of my bed I could see a shadowy figure clearly with the help of the moonlight lighting the room. I struggled to get up and the figure kept saying "no". It wasn't until my brother got up to say that I woke him that I could move again and the figure was gone. I wet my bed routinely until I was almost 15 and averaged maybe 4 hrs of sleep per night.

I had a horrific childhood and my therapists stated that the terrors were a direct result of the psychological and emotional scarring that I endured. Perhaps but felt damn real to me.
(August 11, 2015 at 10:30 pm)lkingpinl Wrote:

No worries CL. Smile

It's okay, Donald Trump's hair scares everybody. That shit just ain't right.

[Image: trump-hair.jpg]
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(August 12, 2015 at 12:34 am)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(August 11, 2015 at 10:30 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: No worries CL. Smile

It's okay, Donald Trump's hair scares everybody. That shit just ain't right.

[Image: trump-hair.jpg]

Oh you got that right tarty
(August 11, 2015 at 6:27 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The OP is well intended but we are not debating what makes theists happy or what they claim the meaning of life is.

Many atheists once held theistic claims and a god to be real. As nice as this olive branch thread may be intended, it still remains that the earth is much older than our species or the gods we invent. If any humann thinks Jesus or Allah or Vishnu or Thor will be around 10 billion years from  now as thoughts or even monuments is a fool.

If anybody thinks any damn thing humans have done will last in any way, shape, or form for ten billion years, that person is a damn fool. I don't see how I'm handing out an olive branch either, this isn't a war, this is a forum composed of people of various beliefs. I was curious as to what some of our members thought on a particular topic, foolishness be damned.

And who is this "we" that dictated what can and can't be debated about with theists here? This was a thread designed from my own inquiry into the thoughts of some of our resident theists. I made this thread because I wanted to. I understand that many of you find their beliefs foolish, I find their beliefs foolish too, yet I moved past this point of contention because I wanted to hear their thoughts anyway.

Not every discussion needs to be turned into a confrontational argument simply because people say things one finds foolish.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
I am immediately skeptical of something that cannot be shared. If in one's mind sharing it means the story will be ridiculed and/or discounted, then the story obviously cannot hold on its own by any logical standard.

Personal simply means that one must illogically rely upon faith to believe it as real.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 4056 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1315 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 13468 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  What does "Separation of Church and State" mean? Brian37 54 3320 March 9, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42687 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17998 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 996 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 12063 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 13999 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 931 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama