Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 8:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's why Creatards might be right
RE: Here's why Creatards might be right
(October 29, 2015 at 2:04 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Then those lines of reasoning you offered, Jenny, in support of your position (design/designer) are irrelevant.  The fact that there are many species is explained by evolution, not by a design, not by a designer.  Correct?

the fact that there are different species all on the same planet with different DNA indicates the existence of different biological blueprints . just like a human being has a blueprint that determines its development . ether you believe DNA just created itself and developed through evolution or it was created by an intelligent being and developed through evolution . intelligent design makes more sense to me and we know intelligent beings design things we do it all the time ourselves. an unthinking rock doesnt design anything complex right?
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
(October 29, 2015 at 2:33 pm)jenny1972 Wrote:

That made me think of this video and loving others as ourselves :•) love you sis!

(October 29, 2015 at 2:33 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: ... its just a theory far from proven assuming that nothing existed before then and inexplicably came into existence it is science version of creation

Why do you think you can stick a god into that gap? What evidence would there be for that god?

The big bang has some proof - Cosmic Background Radiation

I'm pretty sure god wasn't peeking out from behind a galaxy when they took a look. Maybe you collected some evidence of this god that we have never seen before?
Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
(October 29, 2015 at 12:40 pm)pool Wrote: stap stealing mi thundr u fks

We have the Big Bang, why would we want your thunder?
(October 29, 2015 at 2:36 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(October 29, 2015 at 2:33 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: assuming that nothing existed before then and inexplicably came into existence it is science version of creation ,
That may be "just a theory"...but it isn't the Big Bang Theory.  That's Jennys theory.

Quote:it does not prove that there is not an intelligent plan behind it all . intelligent beings create organized and complex inventions we see this proven in human beings who create inventions through intelligence  the complexity of our universe and nature and evolution indicates that it could be a result of an intelligent plan . we are proof that intelligence creates complex organized cooperative manifestations.
Okay, so..then, the only possible logical inference here -with regards to the universe- is that human beings designed and created the universe.  That would be quite the feat, don't you think?

well since humans did not exist it was not from our intelligence obviously
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
(October 29, 2015 at 2:57 pm)jenny1972 Wrote:
(October 29, 2015 at 2:04 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Then those lines of reasoning you offered, Jenny, in support of your position (design/designer) are irrelevant.  The fact that there are many species is explained by evolution, not by a design, not by a designer.  Correct?

the fact that there are different species all on the same planet with different DNA indicates the existence of different biological blueprints . just like a human being has a blueprint that determines its development . ether you believe DNA just created itself and developed through evolution or it was created by an intelligent being and developed through evolution . intelligent design makes more sense to me and we know intelligent beings design things we do it all the time ourselves. an unthinking rock doesnt design anything complex right?

Oh, the scientific ignorance is strong with this one.

DNA did not 'just create itself'. RNA came before, and before that enzymes, and before that, some other self replicating molecule.

There are zero places in the development of DNA that requires an intelligence. It is chemistry.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 29, 2015 at 1:42 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: whats wrong with challenging belief systems that claim to have everything all figured out but do not quite add up?

Except the scientific method doesn't claim to have everything figured out.

This is a not-so-subtle God of the Gaps argument.

It works like this. All chemistry says is "this chemical (DNA, in the modern world, but coming from simpler versions of self-replicators that came before) can self-replicate. Sometimes the replication happens in a way that produces new variants. The environment may treat those variants differently, for better or worse. One example of "better" is a self-replicator that didn't need to be safely harbored in a protective lipid coat, but coded for its own coat. When the code is better, it is going to be favored for reproduction until that becomes a much more common variant. In large populations of self-reproducing DNA critters, some will become so different from one another that they can no longer share DNA, if they are sexually-reproducing creatures. If they are asexual and simply spawn exact copies, then there will still be variation among those copies sufficient that groups will wind up different because of the offspring of the oddballs. By these mechanisms over many generations, you get different species, all from passing the same DNA from parent-to-child, with variation."

The only "blueprint" is that there exists a chemical combination that, once formed, is capable of reproducing itself chemically. As variation continued on this theme, we wound up with billions of different combinations of this self-replicating molecule, which we see as different animal carriers for the molecule. You're confusing the game with the program, in the above metaphor, but in this case the only program is the relatively simple laws of chemistry, based on how atoms work together. If you wish to think that a Designer made the universe in such a way that chemicals could naturally do this, fine... but don't confuse the randomness of evolution with a Grand Plan. Any detailed study of nature shows that it, "red in tooth and claw", is anything but orderly. It is death and competition at every level, and cares nothing for the troubles of the lamb being eaten by the lion, or the protist consuming the bacterium, or the bacteria which die off until some of them randomly stumble upon the "recipe" for digesting nylon.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 29, 2015 at 2:01 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: im not arguing against evolution evolution makes sense and has been proven im arguing against the theory that an unintelligent explosion led to the beginning of evolution

Oh, you're arguing again abiogenesis, then? Well, bring facts.

Fact: We've prompted the creation of precursor molecules in lab settings simulating early Earth conditions.

Fact: We've found those same precursor molecules on comets and other planets.

Fact: We have not seen one iota of evidence for an intelligent creator.

(October 29, 2015 at 2:57 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: the fact that there are different species all on the same planet with different DNA indicates the existence of different biological blueprints . just like a human being has a blueprint that determines its development . ether you believe DNA just created itself and developed through evolution or it was created by an intelligent being and developed through evolution .
DNA isn't a "biological blueprint" in any sense except the poetic.   Neither I, nor "science" believes that DNA "created itself" - as has been so thoroughly explained to you by others.  Nor, is there any compulsion for me to choose "just created itself" over "goddidit".  We have better explanations for this than either of the two options you've presented.  
Quote: intelligent design makes more sense to me and we know intelligent beings design things we do it all the time ourselves. an unthinking rock doesnt design anything complex right?
Here we go again with this..it's already been addressed.  Either your objection leads us to the implication that human beings created and designed the universe or it doesn't lead anywhere at all.  That's the only valid route, do you understand?

(October 29, 2015 at 3:07 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: well since humans did not exist it was not from our intelligence obviously

Yeah..........and since we've just agreed the case example you offered is irrelevant, than the only possible avenue for inference based upon it is null.

You're skipping step 1.  You need to show us some design, or some designer.....as you did, for example, when you mistakenly referred to our own acts of creation as establishing even the possibility of the penultimate creative act.  

You need to make your case.

Simply repeating that someone else (science, in this case) doesn't know everything doesn't establish that -you- know anything. It's made damned near unsalvageable when it turns out that science -does- know those things to which you object.........
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 16213 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 5270 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
  Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions Transcended Dimensions 357 61829 April 27, 2018 at 7:14 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Why am I here? Mystic 51 11545 April 3, 2018 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Mystic
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9991 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4407 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 8622 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why I hate Right Wing Christians bussta33 31 6865 April 16, 2016 at 5:28 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  You might be an Atheist... The Reality Salesman01 14 3982 November 15, 2013 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3842 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas