Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 11:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with
RE: Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with
I don't see them as misconceptions any longer.

I call them deliberately lies and ignorance. There's more than enough evidence and sources now for anyone with an open mind to see the information for themselves.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(March 4, 2016 at 11:49 am)Rhythm Wrote: Natural selection doesn;t just work on our genetic inheritence, it also selects among behaviors...which can be out of the blue, learned, or enforced at a social level.

Hmmm... only genes can be passed on through natural selection, which is one of the reasons why I don't have a lot of stock in the tenured university authorities who insist that human behavior is so plastic that the Homo Sapiens infant is born with absolutely no proclivity to do anything other than suck at Mama's tit. There's plenty enough plasticity, but it's not all that plastic! This is an example of why I believe "Social Science" deserves to have its right to the "Science" part revoked.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(March 4, 2016 at 3:07 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I'm not sure that this was ever floated as being an observation, or that such a gene existed...simply describing a superficially counterintuitive scenario, and how known mechanisms could play out in in creating such a scenario.

Human males, gay or straight, don't have a habit of killing off other males offspring in order to replace them with their own.

They don't now. Do chimp males kill each other in a contest for their females? If not, maybe they did 4 mya, and they still do kill for the position of Alpha Male. But the utility of having gays in the family may not have been so much a question of ape killing ape, nor so with early humans - gays are just as good at helping care for the young and protecting them against predators, and can be trusted not to have eyes for Brother's wives. Conversely, wives don't get to use gays to cheat on the family patriarch.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
My favorite: A hurricane never produced a Boeing from a pile of scrap-metal - Checkmate!
Mr. Hanky loves you!
The oddest notion I've bumped into was Randy Carson's idea that evolution was wrong because it's a morally inferior process to creation. Because, you know, nothing immoral or amoral ever happens.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(March 6, 2016 at 10:27 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: My favorite: A hurricane never produced a Boeing from a pile of scrap-metal - Checkmate!

The funny thing is: If it ever DID happen, they'd say god did it, and it was proof of god.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(March 6, 2016 at 11:13 pm)Cecelia Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 10:27 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: My favorite: A hurricane never produced a Boeing from a pile of scrap-metal - Checkmate!

The funny thing is: If it ever DID happen, they'd say god did it, and it was proof of god.

One may have an IQ of 69, and a very limited vocabulary, but the word "goddidit" still gets you a long way.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(March 6, 2016 at 11:19 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(March 6, 2016 at 11:13 pm)Cecelia Wrote: The funny thing is: If it ever DID happen, they'd say god did it, and it was proof of god.

One may have an IQ of 69, and a very limited vocabulary, but the word "goddidit" still gets you a long way.

Yes, if your IQ is 69.
(March 6, 2016 at 9:19 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I don't see them as misconceptions any longer.

I call them deliberately lies and ignorance.  There's more than enough evidence and sources now for anyone with an open mind to see the information for themselves.

You may be horrified (I sure am) to know that there are many physicians in the US who deny evolution. It blows my mind that someone can complete an undergraduate program in the biological sciences and then medical school while denying evolution. It's like an auto mechanic denying the existence of spark plugs. But we have plenty of them. Our own Republican fool, Dr. Ben Carson was an accomplished neurosurgeon and an evolution denier. We have a shortage of physicians so we can't afford to screen out creationist idiots.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(March 6, 2016 at 9:46 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(March 4, 2016 at 11:49 am)Rhythm Wrote: Natural selection doesn;t just work on our genetic inheritence, it also selects among behaviors...which can be out of the blue, learned, or enforced at a social level.

Hmmm... only genes can be passed on through natural selection, which is one of the reasons why I don't have a lot of stock in the tenured university authorities who insist that human behavior is so plastic that the Homo Sapiens infant is born with absolutely no proclivity to do anything other than suck at Mama's tit. There's plenty enough plasticity, but it's not all that plastic! This is an example of why I believe "Social Science" deserves to have its right to the "Science" part revoked.

It's sex that passes on genes, not natural selection.  The behaviors we teach our children, regardless of any genetic disposition, are passed from parent to child; and are thus heritable.  There's no "american gene" and yet there is a heritable american culture.  We refer to this larger collection of traits as a phenotype.  We tend to see behaviors as having a genetic component (for example, our learned behaviors are inextricably linked with the genes associated with our "learning apparatus") but there's no requirement that they be in order to be acted upon by natural selection.   

Consider this, all other things beings equal, which portion of the human population do you think would become over-represented in time....the portion which teaches their children to look twice before crossing the street, or the portion which does not?  There is no clear cut indicator in the genotype for this behavioral difference, this is not to say that there couldn't be, but it is a difference in phenotype regardless...... it is also an efficient cause for changes in the genotype all the same.  Unrelated variations in the genotype would piggyback on this variation in phenotype, even if it turned out that there was, in actuality, no genetic marker for the behavior upon which individuals were selected.

As regards men killing their mates previous children -any wondering on those counts would be lost on me (and I'm not sure that chimps are really that great an example to point to in any case..we're not chimps, never have been, never will be)- I only brought it up to show that the statements were -clearly- a thought experiment, and not an observation regarding known human behavior.  I doubt Dawkins is or was under the impression that people did that, when he made those statements.  Rather, describing a situation in which the relationships involved in natural selection would or could favor homosexuality.  If he did or does think that absurd non-behavior explains homosexuality, particularly in the present supposing there -was- a "what if" moment that we did engage in that in the past, then he's a fucking nutball.

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 6578 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6895 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2173 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Over the top Belacqua 146 14021 August 28, 2019 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3523 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 29484 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 17254 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2572 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  How I deal with no afterlife SuperMarioGamer 117 12651 October 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: TheMonster
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1714 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist