Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 7:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian answering questions too!
RE: Christian answering questions too!
(May 1, 2016 at 3:17 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: Hello and thank you all for having me in the forum.  I am new here and registered because I felt the urge to undertake a part in the great commission. I have not failed to notice the application of Christianity from churches and organized religion is hypocritical, atrocious at times, and is rarely in line with the intent of the Bible and its Author.

That is a really odd statement on so many levels I hardly know where to begin.

First of all, the Bible has many authors. Even if you take the traditional attributions (and most serious scholars don't) of Moses, various prophets, disciples, and Paul, it's a long list. Just who do you think the author is?

What method do you use to determine the authors' intent?

Why did you pick an atheists forum to discuss the meaning of a books, most atheists find irrelivant?

Quote:It is with great consequence that people are influenced by the misguided and twisted forms Christ's message often comes in. I hope to do better. I am offering to answer, to the best of my ability, any question, on any topic that I feel remotely qualified to respond to. Please refrain from cheap baiting attempts often used to trap someone into a play on words or the like and I will do the same.

I hope you don't mind my asking why you think you have greater knowledge of what the Bible means than other Christians, or jews for matter.

Quote:If you have questions I will offer my thoughts. I won't attempt to restrict the areas of conversation too much but I do ask that we remain respectful towards one another. I would also ask that all questions regarding the Christian bible pertain to the KJV.[/size][/color]I will answer as promptly as 6 children, 2 careers, and a part time job will allow.

Why the KJV? Seriously, it's not a particularly good translation. But I am curious, what is it about the KJV that you find superior?

(Quotes edited to remove annoying font colors and sizes)
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(May 2, 2016 at 1:04 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(May 2, 2016 at 12:35 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: You guys always trot this one out despite the fact that it's been explained to you multiple times.

Which has more authority, the law or a pardon?

Well that question doesn't make sense, pardoning is an element of a legal system.

Not necessarily, for there to be law, there must be a penalty for breaking it, otherwise it isn't law.

A pardon releases you from the penalty of the law.

So yes, the law is still in effect, but you have been granted a pardon, but a pardon is no good unless you accept it; you have the right to refuse it after all.
(May 2, 2016 at 2:05 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(May 2, 2016 at 1:04 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Well that question doesn't make sense, pardoning is an element of a legal system.

Not necessarily, for there to be law, there must be a penalty for breaking it, otherwise it isn't law.

So yes, the law is still in effect, but you have been granted a pardon, but a pardon is no good unless you accept it; you have the right to refuse it after all.

And so the law still applies, doesn't it. Which was my point to begin with.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(May 2, 2016 at 1:36 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(May 2, 2016 at 12:35 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Which has more authority, the law or a pardon?

You can always spin that the way you want. What have we done that needs pardon? The things I did wrong in my life need pardon from... Myself. I know I did wrong. I can only try to not do again. If the law makes me pay, so be it. Alot of time to spend reading.

According to God's law, "the soul that sinneth, it shall die".

Sin = unbelief

You claim to be an atheist.

Do the math.
(May 2, 2016 at 1:28 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(May 2, 2016 at 1:16 pm)abaris Wrote: Truth is, I'm not sure about this one. Could be a Poe or a sock. Something doesn't quite smell right with that persona.

Hmmm.

Well if he sees my post, steals my idea and decides to become a  lobster lover and so he changes his name to LOBSTER_LOVER and gives himself this avatar:

[Image: lobster_love_by_ocubedcheeseo-d3ahoeq.jpg]

Then I think we can safely say something's up...

And not even just because LOBSTER_LOVER is an anagram of VERBOSE_TROLL Hehe

I believe the only possible response to this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WszFinmtEt0
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Good thing god doesn't exist, then.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(May 2, 2016 at 2:07 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(May 2, 2016 at 2:05 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Not necessarily, for there to be law, there must be a penalty for breaking it, otherwise it isn't law.

And so the law still applies, doesn't it. Which was my point to begin with.

Not to those in Christ. They cannot sin, therefore they cannot be accused under the law.

Law only applies to criminals, the penalty for theft for instance doesn't apply to you if you haven't stolen anything.
(May 1, 2016 at 4:31 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote:
(May 1, 2016 at 3:33 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: How do you discern what is or is not a misguided Christian practice?

Is the practice based in scripture.

And how do you discern whether being scripture based is relevant to anything?
(May 2, 2016 at 2:14 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(May 2, 2016 at 2:07 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: And so the law still applies, doesn't it. Which was my point to begin with.

Not to those in Christ. They cannot sin, therefore they cannot be accused under the law.

Law only applies to criminals, the penalty for theft for instance doesn't apply to you if you haven't stolen anything.

So the law applies to those who don't recognize it, and has no relevance to those who do.

Much sense making.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the "too!" part of the thread title?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90862 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Too Soon For a Lie YahwehIsTheWay 14 2746 December 5, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Too Late Fucktards. You Own Him Now. Minimalist 10 1584 October 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  questions for a christian lighthouse 43 8769 January 17, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Christian answering questions. Cherubim 541 51604 May 17, 2016 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The real "Christians answering questions" thread Foxaèr 17 2691 May 6, 2016 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hey, Look! They Have Assholes In England, Too! Minimalist 8 2536 February 3, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Thumbs Down Bible says convert or kill the nonbelievers too. Thumbs down for Christianity... IanHulett 68 18764 January 5, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Drich
  Sure some of you run into this too. Brian37 6 2006 April 26, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  This Could Have Gone in Damned Republicunts, too, but Minimalist 20 3223 February 27, 2015 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Losty