Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 4:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Harvey
RE: Hurricane Harvey
So whaddaya know.  Leave it to Texass Republicunts to protect insurance companies and fuck over the citizenry.

This is what you get for electing them, assholes.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/texas-go...y-victims/

Quote:Texas governor may allow insurance companies to short-change Hurricane Harvey victims

Quote:An insurance reform bill signed into law by the Republican governor of Texas in May could allow insurance companies to underpay victims of the devastation brought about by Hurricane Harvey.

Quote:As Evans notes, “The law reduces the penalties insurance companies can face if they settle claims for too little, and it lessens the chance the companies will have to pay the homeowner’s attorneys fees if the homeowner sues. It also protects individual agents from things like diminished credit scores if they are individually sued.”
More pertinent, in light of the Harvey devastation, the bill includes all weather-related damages including floods, wildfires, hail and hurricanes.
According to Evans, the limitations should come as no surprise, with State Sen. John Whitmire (D-Houston) warning about the untended consequences of the bill during debate in May.
“I think we will hear from our constituents across the state when we have storms,” Whitmire stated.
Here in Austin there is more of a flood of humans than rain. We are getting a lot of refugees and FEMA is using our airport to get supplies to the coast. It rained all weekend but it was more of an irritation here than a problem. A dozen shingles came down and a large branch but that's the extent of the damage where I live. They've set up a lot of blood donor places and it breaks my heart that I can't help my fellows Texans because I'm pregnant. I'm sure Charlie wouldn't mind sparing a little of our blood :p

http://www.kvue.com/weather/harvey/famil.../468587674

6 dead Sad four kids and their grandparents
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Sure am glad to hear from you, Mandy, and glad you're not going through too much. Stay safe.

The other side of the coin.  There always is one.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/houston-...gulations/

Quote:Houston is drowning—In its freedom from regulations

Quote:We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its  impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

Yeah... the market works just fine!
(August 28, 2017 at 7:10 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The other side of the coin.  There always is one.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/houston-...gulations/

Quote:Houston is drowning—In its freedom from regulations

Quote:We do value our freedom here in Texas. As I write from soggy Central Texas, the cable news is showing people floating down Buffalo Bayou on their principles, proud residents of the largest city in these United States that did not grow in accordance with zoning ordinances.

The feeling there was that persons who own real estate should be free to develop it as they wish. Houston, also known as the Bayou City, is a great location because of its access to international shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. It is not a great location for building, though, because of all its  impervious cover. If water could easily sink into the ground, there would be less of it ripping down Houston’s rivers that just a week ago were overcrowded streets.

Yeah... the market works just fine!

Even without the impervious cover, there would still be disastrous flooding, because the substrate in Houston is clay, largely, which doesn't absorb water well. There's a reason why there are so many lakes, ponds, creeks, and inlets in the area, and that's also why the Interstate floods so easily.

Not writing to defend a lack of zoning, simply to point out a pertinent fact.

Propublica did a fascinating series in 2016 about Houston's flood risks in a hurricane. Here is one of the stories - a long read but worth it:
https://projects.propublica.org/houston/

The story talks about concerns with Houston's Ship Channel, which is used for transportation by the oil refineries and chemical plants. I haven't found much info on this particular area in news reports, maybe because they don't know the full extent of damage yet.

-Teresa
This story - from a year before Harvey - discusses the same issues. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2...texas.html

Quote:Historic Deluge Hits Texas. Houston, You Have a Problem

You would think that knowing the problem and the geology they would be more inclined to make water control a priority not less.

However, lets be serious, we all know that the bankers who get rich off these projects all live on high ground and don't give a flying fuck about any one else.
(August 28, 2017 at 5:38 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: Here in Austin there is more of a flood of humans than rain. We are getting a lot of refugees and FEMA is using our airport to get supplies to the coast. It rained all weekend but it was more of an irritation here than a problem. A dozen shingles came down and a large branch but that's the extent of the damage where I live. They've set up a lot of blood donor places and it breaks my heart that I can't help my fellows Texans because I'm pregnant. I'm sure Charlie wouldn't mind sparing a little of our blood :p

A friend tells me they had an 11 hour power outage?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

So Katrina was called a 100 yr Storm.
Sandy was called a 100 yr Storm.
Now Harvey is a 500 yr Storm.

They were all in the last twelve years and yet Climate Change is still to many people just a hoax.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
of the countries largest 100 cities, on average, 1 of them will have a hundred year flood every year.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hurricane Laura Gawdzilla Sama 11 783 August 28, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Hurricane Michael created by Democrats Foxaèr 6 1094 October 12, 2018 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Hurricane Irma dyresand 155 40023 September 21, 2017 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Harvey is an excuse for a keg party at Wharton Brian37 13 2795 September 4, 2017 at 12:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Texas terrorists help Harvey victims. Brian37 15 2948 September 1, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Deregulation and Harvey....... Brian37 22 5708 August 31, 2017 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Court Jester
  Harvey and a "fake news" reporter..... Brian37 33 8287 August 28, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas checkpoints to remain open during Hurricane Harvey The Grand Nudger 1 802 August 25, 2017 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hurricane Harvey/GOP OP/ED...... Brian37 0 660 August 25, 2017 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hurricane Matthew SteelCurtain 46 5776 October 11, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Joods