Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 5:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
Quote:I can't help it if yo are too lazy to read all of my posts. I'm an not the one late to the party but it seems that I have to repeat everything I said for the third time.

Of course I care because I think the marriage was ordained by God to be a central part of the human experience and has been well defined for more the 10,000 years. And it has been one of the most important parts of the human experience since the beginning of humans. Marriage is not itself a religious concept. I have been clear that I don't care what your view is--I am correcting the pages and pages of mischaracterizations, demonization, straw men, and red herrings of a Christian's perspective on the issue. It is not hatred of bigotry for the vase majority and I have proved that point over and over.
So more irrelevant  preaching mixed with whining that your correcting us when all you doing really is backing up our point and digging yourself a deeper hole.  And empty claims you have proven something when you have done the opposite. Poor form very poor form .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(July 17, 2018 at 8:55 am)SteveII Wrote: In our worldview, you both need God equally.

In my worldview, that "need" = 0.

(July 17, 2018 at 10:06 am)SteveII Wrote: There is no right in the constitution to redefine words/concepts/institutions.

That's because one does not need a constitution to redefine words, concepts and institutions.  All one actually needs is the desire to do so.
Steve lives under the beliefs that if he repeats the same foolish lines over and over they somehow become less foolish

Quote:There is no right in the constitution to redefine words/concepts/institutions.
Pure opinion
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I say we let the Christian bigots continue being bigots. By doing so they'll only contribute to the downfall of their own religion.

In the words of Dr. Temperance Brennan: "Organized belief systems which fail to adapt to changing ways are demoted from religions to acknowledged metaphoric myth systems"
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
This "sanctity of definitions" defense makes me feel a bit ill. It's a thinly veiled appeal to tradition. What exactly is the problem with definitions changing? Will it confuse people? I don't think so, in this case. It's rather a newsworthy event. Will it upset people who have emotional attachments to definitions? That's really their problem, I think. Aiming for equal rights is a bit more important than protecting these strange people from their psychological problems.

At least fundamentalist types are honest enough to admit that they think less of homosexuals, and that allowing them the same rights devalues "regular" marriage. It's disgusting, but at least it's not duplicitous.

PS: having this definition change doesn't suddenly mean all other definitions change as well, or whatever other nonsense is implied. Religiously defined marriage can stay the same anyhow. The rest of us can move on.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 17, 2018 at 10:50 am)SteveII Wrote: ...and has been well defined for more the 10,000 years.

This is patently false.

Many parts of China have had what is known as "walking marriages", where women have several "husbands" that visit her.

Many tribes in South America have communal marriages, where the entire tribe forms a marriage, and procreates as a group, and shares in raising children.

28 societies in the Himalayas have polyandrous marriages, as do others in India.

Sorry to inform you, but monogamy did not become the norm in the Western world until between the 6th and 9th centuries, CE.

Quote:And it has been one of the most important parts of the human experience since the beginning of humans.

No, it has not. At least, not in the way you falsely believe.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(July 17, 2018 at 12:03 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(July 17, 2018 at 10:50 am)SteveII Wrote: ...and has been well defined for more the 10,000 years.

This is patently false.

Many parts of China have had what is known as "walking marriages", where women have several "husbands" that visit her.

Many tribes in South America have communal marriages, where the entire tribe forms a marriage, and procreates as a group, and shares in raising children.

28 societies in the Himalayas have polyandrous marriages, as do others in India.

Sorry to inform you, but monogamy did not become the norm in the Western world until between the 6th and 9th centuries, CE.

Quote:And it has been one of the most important parts of the human experience since the beginning of humans.

Go easy, Simon. You know that it takes centuries for news of God's institution of marriage as characterized in the Bible to make the rounds. Divine revelation takes time. A lot of it.
Quote:...and has been well defined for more the 10,000 years.
No it has not 

Nope Christian revisionism

Quote:Sorry to inform you, but monogamy did not become the norm in the Western world until between the 6th and 9th centuries, CE. 
Yup many pagan societies did not give a duck

Inuit Proverb

(July 17, 2018 at 12:03 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:

This is patently false.

Three points: 1) You do realize you had to use modifiers to distinguish your remote exceptions to the traditional definition of marriage, right? 2) these variations are between men and women. 3) What do you think the % of these outliers are to the billions and billions of traditional marriage? How many decimal points do you think you need?

You have your head in the sand if you don't think marriage is the single most important institution in the history of civilization.
(July 17, 2018 at 10:50 am)SteveII Wrote:
(July 17, 2018 at 10:24 am)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: If marriage is not a christer concept, then what the fuck are you on about?!? Words get redefined all the fucking tim, you ass-hat. Yet you've got your panties in a wad over this one in particular. Care to better explain why, if it's not because of your christer sesibilities? Is it just bigotry against gays motivating you? Serioisly, without you defending it as a sacred part of your foolish beliefs, I can't imagine any other reason for you to be so adamantly against gay marriage.

I can't help it if yo are too lazy to read all of my posts. I'm an not the one late to the party but it seems that I have to repeat everything I said for the third time.

Of course I care because I think the marriage was ordained by God to be a central part of the human experience and has been well defined for more the 10,000 years. And it has been one of the most important parts of the human experience since the beginning of humans. Marriage is not itself a religious concept. I have been clear that I don't care what your view is--I am correcting the pages and pages of mischaracterizations, demonization, straw men, and red herrings of a Christian's perspective on the issue. It is not hatred of bigotry for the vase majority and I have proved that point over and over.

Now you're just refuting your own argument. First it's not a christer thing then it's ordained by gawd...

Serioisly Steve. Grow the fuck up and join the modern world. People change, societies change, religions change. Yes, even yours. Change may sometimes be painful, especially to those who resist it. Embrace the change as a betterment of human society. That's what it is, after all. Or, keep being a knuckle-dragger. No skin off my ass either way because you've already lost this fight.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 9207 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 7588 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7882 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If Jesus is not true Sonah 41 9165 October 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  My dad wants me to marry another christian Der/die AtheistIn 40 8483 September 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why Jesus is not the messiah. Creed of Heresy 59 14333 December 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Egyptian
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 45851 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
Question "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical? pocaracas 92 18244 August 26, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Would this be all we need to prove God exists? Or would it require more than this? IanHulett 30 5725 January 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  being told to kill myself by someone who supposedly believe in God mainethinker 266 42168 January 18, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw