Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 5:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In UK atheists considred more moral than theists.
RE: In UK atheists considred more moral than theists.
Never even gets that far for me.  I've never looked at a baby and thought "imma fuckin KILL that baby".

I suppose some of the religious have a different experience, which might explain their stories.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 4, 2018 at 7:01 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I suppose some of the religious have a different experience, which might explain their stories.

And also why they are always trying to convince themselves that their religion is powered by love.

It's like in George Orwell's book 1984 where there were Ministries of Love, Peace, Plenty, and Truth providing anything but.
Religion often tries to convince its adherents that the only reason they don't do horrible shit is their God beliefs. In most cases this isn't true at all, but I suspect that on Drich's case it really might be. That's not his fault; if you don't have empathy for whatever reason, you don't have it.

I don't think religion is the only way to deal with this, or the best way, but it is one of its very few practical applications.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 5, 2018 at 3:24 am)robvalue Wrote: Religion often tries to convince its adherents that the only reason they don't do horrible shit is their God beliefs. In most cases this isn't true at all, but I suspect that on Drich's case it really might be. That's not his fault; if you don't have empathy for whatever reason, you don't have it.

Yeah everybody on death row is a confirmed atheist.

I think Drich is in an unfortunate position. He will know deep down that he sticks with this particular brand of nonsense out of fear. He knows that his beliefs are geographic, he knows his beliefs are not evidence based, he's unfortunate because he's allowing fear to consume his life. And it's all about the fear of the unknown.

God was popped into existence by fearful people, and now is feared by fearful people.
(September 4, 2018 at 4:16 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 4, 2018 at 1:31 pm)Drich Wrote: (Fetus=latin for baby)

No, it is not, you ignorant twat.
If I'm an ignorant twat for being right what does being wrong make you?

from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forth, pregnancy, childbearing, offspring," from suffixed form of PIE root *dhe(i)- "to suck."
In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (as in Horace's "Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus")

Do I need to define baby for you as well? or are the words and terms the bearing of young pregnancy and childbearing "new born creature" enough? even that should be enough to satisfy intellectual dishonesty as strong as yours. just incase it is not, let us look at the word baby as well because I want your defeat here complete. so that you have no where to go, other than a full retracement and apology from any honest you may have represented and or in an attempt to be a civil/decent human being.

ba·by
ˈbābē/Submit
noun
a very young child, especially one newly or recently born.
new born creature is how it is defined in the latin. any honest person would see these two are the same.

So let hear it! or will you seal your place as nothing more than a flaming troll making noise? Honestly if you do not do right by me here I will just brush you off like another minnie. he doesn't take time to read or respond topically either so maybe 1 out of every 10 posts he directs at me I might read and out of those every 10 i might respond to. if this is where you want to go, then please hold fast to your insane leftist definition of fetus and don't apologise for calling me names for being right

(September 4, 2018 at 2:59 pm)Drich Wrote: but to God none of that matters. just so long as in your heart you do not want this sin.

Yet more ignorance.

The Lord himself affirms: ‘He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.’ (Mk 16:16)
[/quote]

glob.. so what does one do to cast of sin? they seek atonement how does one seek atonement? They believe and are baptized... now after they believe and are baptized do they stop sinning? no not according to Paul in Romans 6, 7 and chapter 8. So what does one do to enter heaven if one still is bound to sin? one dies to the old self who is a slave to sin and carries on as a new being in Christ. so how does this manifest it self? how does one die to old self and live as a new being if one still sins? in yur heart you must not want the sin you do but what God wants for you
7 You might think I am saying that sin and the law are the same. That is not true. But the law was the only way I could learn what sin means. I would never have known it is wrong to want something that is not mine. But the law said, “You must not want what belongs to someone else.”[a] 8 And sin found a way to use that command and make me want all kinds of things that weren’t mine. So sin came to me because of the command. But without the law, sin has no power. 9 Before I knew the law, I was alive. But when I heard the law’s command, sin began to live, 10 and I died spiritually. The command was meant to bring life, but for me it brought death. 11 Sin found a way to fool me by using the command to make me die.

12 Now the law is holy, and the command is holy and right and good. 13 Does this mean that something that is good brought death to me? No, it was sin that used the good command to bring me death. This shows how terrible sin really is. It can use a good command to produce a result that shows sin at its very worst.

The War Inside Us
14 We know that the law is spiritual, but I am not. I am so human. Sin rules me as if I were its slave. 15 I don’t understand why I act the way I do. I don’t do the good I want to do, and I do the evil I hate. 16 And if I don’t want to do what I do, that means I agree that the law is good. 17 But I am not really the one doing the evil. It is sin living in me that does it. 18 Yes, I know that nothing good lives in me—I mean nothing good lives in the part of me that is not spiritual. I want to do what is good, but I don’t do it. 19 I don’t do the good that I want to do. I do the evil that I don’t want to do. 20 So if I do what I don’t want to do, then I am not really the one doing it. It is the sin living in me that does it.

21 So I have learned this rule: When I want to do good, evil is there with me. 22 In my mind I am happy with God’s law. 23 But I see another law working in my body. That law makes war against the law that my mind accepts. That other law working in my body is the law of sin, and that law makes me its prisoner. 24 What a miserable person I am! Who will save me from this body that brings me death? 25 I thank God for his salvation through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So in my mind I am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful self I am a slave to the law of sin.

The above is the astole paul talking in context about his very wn struggle with sin. Paul the apstole who wrote 2/3 of the NT admits here being as close to God as one can get in this life is still struggling with sin.

So how does he reconcile it?

he separates himself into two being the old man a slave to sin and the new creature in christ. while the old man sins the new creature must hate sin and turn/repent of it.

That's is why 'morality' means nothing as it is not our ability to be sin free/moral that God is counting but our hearts in relation to what we do, not what was done.

(September 4, 2018 at 5:13 pm)Mathilda Wrote:
(September 4, 2018 at 2:59 pm)Drich Wrote: meaning all of those things you find honorable but miserably fail to live up to... you know like the ability to not murder a baby or the ability not to control yourself sexually

Wow, you're a fucking psycho and the only thing stopping you is religion.

The ability not to murder a baby?

Remember when I kept mentioning to you that magical thing that you lack ... 'empathy' ?

That's what stops normal people from doing these things.

Actually accept pregnancy centers or even a good church or the support of a strong family generally keep mothers from matercide. Mother seeking to kill their babies generally have their empathy turned off. their concerns usually center around self. not married, not ready too young career still in school ect. Some may feel they already have too many kids. rarely is it empathy for the child, and even when it is.. the hardship of raising the disable child is what makes the deciding vote, not the pain the child will endure.

But again this standard of not killing one's children is not a deciding factor to God's righteousness. meaning once you seek atonement whether you have killed a baby or will do in the future God is not judging your righteousness by your actions here unlike how 'morality' works.
(September 5, 2018 at 10:26 am)Drich Wrote:
(September 4, 2018 at 4:16 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: No, it is not, you ignorant twat.
If I'm an ignorant twat for being right what does being wrong make you?

from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forth, pregnancy, childbearing, offspring," from suffixed form of PIE root *dhe(i)- "to suck."
In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (as in Horace's "Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus")

Do I need to define baby for you as well? or are the words and terms the bearing of young pregnancy and childbearing "new born creature" enough?  even that should be enough to satisfy intellectual dishonesty as strong as yours. just incase it is not, let us look at the word baby as well because I want your defeat here complete.  so that you have no where to go, other than a full retracement and apology from any honest you may have represented and or in an attempt to be a civil/decent human being....So let hear it! or will you seal your place as nothing more than a flaming troll making noise? Honestly if you do not do right by me here I will just brush you off like another minnie. he doesn't take time to read or respond topically either so maybe 1 out of every 10 posts he directs at me I might read and out of those every 10 i might respond to. if this is where you want to go, then please hold fast to your insane leftist definition of fetus and don't apologise for calling me names for being right

Citation needed.  It looks like you've garbled together several things.

ETA: Never mind. I found your source, and it shows that you omitted a key part. You lying twat. From your own source: "In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (as in Horace's "Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus"), but this was not the basic meaning. " (HERE)

I'll take that retraction and apology now.

Quote:Word Origin & History

late 14c., "the young while in the womb or egg," from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing, bringing forth, or hatching of young," from Latin base *fe- "to generate, bear," also "to suck, suckle" (see fecund).

In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (cf. Horace's "Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus"), but this was not the basic meaning.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fetus

(September 5, 2018 at 10:26 am)Drich Wrote:
(September 4, 2018 at 4:16 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 4, 2018 at 2:59 pm)Drich Wrote: but to God none of that matters. just so long as in your heart you do not want this sin.

Yet more ignorance.

The Lord himself affirms: ‘He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.’ (Mk 16:16)

glob.. so what does one do to cast of sin? they seek atonement...

Glob yourself.  Seeking atonement isn't the same as "just...not want this sin."  It's not even particularly related.  So, fail.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 5, 2018 at 10:26 am)Drich Wrote: If I'm an ignorant twat for being right what does being wrong make you?

Do I need to define baby for you as well? or are the words and terms the bearing of young pregnancy and childbearing "new born creature" enough?  even that should be enough to satisfy intellectual dishonesty as strong as yours. just incase it is not, let us look at the word baby as well because I want your defeat here complete.  so that you have no where to go, other than a full retracement and apology from any honest you may have represented and or in an attempt to be a civil/decent human being....So let hear it! or will you seal your place as nothing more than a flaming troll making noise? Honestly if you do not do right by me here I will just brush you off like another minnie. he doesn't take time to read or respond topically either so maybe 1 out of every 10 posts he directs at me I might read and out of those every 10 i might respond to. if this is where you want to go, then please hold fast to your insane leftist definition of fetus and don't apologise for calling me names for being right

Citation needed.  It looks like you've garbled together several things.

ETA: Never mind.  I found your source, and it shows that you omitted a key part.  You lying twat.  From your own source: "In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (as in Horace's "Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus"), but this was not the basic meaning. " (HERE)

Quote:Word Origin & History

late 14c., "the young while in the womb or egg," from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing, bringing forth, or hatching of young," from Latin base *fe- "to generate, bear," also "to suck, suckle" (see fecund).

In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (cf. Horace's "Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus"), but this was not the basic meaning.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fetus

(September 5, 2018 at 10:26 am)Drich Wrote: glob.. so what does one do to cast of sin? they seek atonement...

Glob yourself.  Seeking atonement isn't the same as "just...not want this sin."  It's not even particularly related.  So, fail.

you can literally be this stupid has rage blinded you can you only see red? Look at how far off you were. you were going by the common usage of the word I was using the orginal defination and said so!
In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively This means sometimes the word was used figurtivly to the newborn itself... yes you correctly added but this was not the orginal defination... so fucking what! it was sometimes used this way some times.. not only that if you would open your eyes to the defination we BOTH PROVIDED 

from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forth, pregnancy, childbearing, offspring," from suffixed form of PIE root  "to suck."

Those word right there jorgie right thur!righ thur! end you little tyrade and demand for anything why? because that you failed, your attempt at a legitmate correction ends with your singular understanding between the latian word and the latin defination and the same latian word and it's repurposed english defination!

You thought fetus:
Dictionary

fe·tus
ˈfēdəs/
noun
noun: fetus; plural noun: fetuses; noun: foetus; plural noun: foetuses

1. an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.
    synonyms:
    embryo, unborn baby/child
    "an ultrasonic photo of the fetus"

You foolishly thought all fetus were unborn... here even in the not sometimes used version:

[/url][url=https://www.reddit.com/submit?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.etymonline.com%2Fword%2Ffetus&title=fetus%20%7C%20Origin%20and%20meaning%20of%20fetus%20by%20Online%20Etymology%20Dictionary]
the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forthpregnancy, childbearing, offspring,The bearing the hatching the bring foruth the off spring what do all of these describe? a baby being born, a female giving birth or newly born, it is not a pre birth situation!

I don't care that you think you had an a ha moment (kinda got suckered there didn't ya, makes you look stupid and embittered cause you know your wrong and can't admit it) that if you just stick to your gun we should forget you where try to correct my useage of the word fetus in the latin means baby, rather than the english defination..

But here's the thing jorgie You were because you thought a fetus was a pre birth organism. I showed you in the latin in fact it is not. it represents a baby/new born.

You were wrong...

And, I....

Was right Again.

When will stupid people stop judging intelligence on trivial things?

if I am stupid because my spelling or grammar, then how much more stupid are you when you fail to understand a simple definition? when you fail to grasp a simple pretext, when we have to go back and fourth for pages because you despite the evidence must assume I am the one in error no matter what is said? when you can't leverage enough independent thought to push your 'thinking' outside the box they put it in at whatever school, or book you favor?

You failed hard here. My efforts don't usually include a spoon feeding of the crow, but since you were so ready to make me eat it I really need to see an effort here jorgie.
an effort that STARTS with an apology Wink

oh, and this is a second matter no crow needed here:

Quote:Seeking atonement isn't the same as "just...not want this sin."  It's not even particularly related.  So, fail.
then define atonement or define seeking atonement, as it seems we are working with two different definitions..

For me atonement is forgiveness for sin in this application. if you do not want this sin the first thing we are offered is atonement for our sin... so then we must seek atonement if we are to separate ourselves from sin... how do we do that.. go back to the post before this one.
(September 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Citation needed.  It looks like you've garbled together several things.

ETA: Never mind.  I found your source, and it shows that you omitted a key part.  You lying twat.  From your own source: "In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively to the newborn creature itself, or used in a sense of "offspring, brood" (as in Horace's "Germania quos horrida parturit Fetus"), but this was not the basic meaning. " (HERE)

you can literally be this stupid has rage blinded you can you only see red? Look at how far off you were. you were going by the common usage of the word I was using the orginal defination and said so!
In Latin, fetus sometimes was transferred figuratively This means sometimes the word was used figurtivly to the newborn itself... yes you correctly added but this was not the orginal defination... so fucking what! it was sometimes used this way some times.. not only that if you would open your eyes to the defination we BOTH PROVIDED 

from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forth, pregnancy, childbearing, offspring," from suffixed form of PIE root  "to suck."

Those word right there jorgie right thur!righ thur! end you little tyrade and demand for anything why? because that you failed, your attempt at a legitmate correction ends with your singular understanding between the latian word and the latin defination and the same latian word and it's repurposed english defination!

You thought fetus:
Dictionary

fe·tus
ˈfēdəs/
noun
noun: fetus; plural noun: fetuses; noun: foetus; plural noun: foetuses

1. an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.
    synonyms:
    embryo, unborn baby/child
    "an ultrasonic photo of the fetus"

You foolishly thought all fetus were unborn... here even in the not sometimes used version:

[/url][url=https://www.reddit.com/submit?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.etymonline.com%2Fword%2Ffetus&title=fetus%20%7C%20Origin%20and%20meaning%20of%20fetus%20by%20Online%20Etymology%20Dictionary]
the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forthpregnancy, childbearing, offspring,The bearing the hatching the bring foruth the off spring what do all of these describe? a baby being born, a female giving birth or newly born, it is not a pre birth situation!

I don't care that you think you had an a ha moment (kinda got suckered there didn't ya, makes you look stupid and embittered cause you know your wrong and can't admit it) that if you just stick to your gun we should forget you where try to correct my useage of the word fetus in the latin means baby, rather than the english defination..

But here's the thing jorgie You were because you thought a fetus was a pre birth organism. I showed you in the latin in fact it is not. it represents a baby/new born.

You were wrong...

And, I....

Was right Again.

When will stupid people stop judging intelligence on trivial things?

if I am stupid because my spelling or grammar, then how much more stupid are you when you fail to understand a simple definition? when you fail to grasp a simple pretext, when we have to go back and fourth for pages because you despite the evidence must assume I am the one in error no matter what is said? when you can't leverage enough independent thought to push your 'thinking' outside the box they put it in at whatever school, or book you favor?

You failed hard here. My efforts don't usually include a spoon feeding of the crow, but since you were so ready to make me eat it I really need to see an effort here jorgie.
an effort that STARTS with an apology Wink

You're a fucking dishonest piece of shit. The very entry you quoted said that it was not the basic meaning of the Latin word. Do you not fucking speak English? What do you think it means to say that something is not the basic meaning of the word? You said it was the Latin for baby. That it sometimes was used figuratively to mean a baby does not change the basic definition of the word. Fetus is Latin for "the bearing, bringing forth, or hatching of young." That's the common usage of the word in Latin. And if you can't see that that is different from baby, then you're fucked in the head. That you actually think you were right just shows what a fucking moron you are. Please, explain to me what it means to say that something is not the basic meaning of a word. Go on, explain it.

You even repeated your error:
(September 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm)Drich Wrote: But here's the thing jorgie You were because you thought a fetus was a pre birth organism. I showed you in the latin in fact it is not. it represents a baby/new born.

But this is about what I expect from you. Lies and dishonesty. You misrepresented your source here, and you misrepresented your source in your thread citing scientists predicting a mini-ice-age. You're a fundamentally dishonest person, in addition to being an ignorant twat.

(September 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Seeking atonement isn't the same as "just...not want this sin."  It's not even particularly related.  So, fail.
then define atonement or define seeking atonement, as it seems we are working with two different definitions..

For me atonement is forgiveness for sin in this application. if you do not want this sin the first thing we are offered is atonement for our sin... so then we must seek atonement if we are to separate ourselves from sin... how do we do that.. go back to the post before this one.

Seeking atonement is in addition to not wanting this sin, so it is not "just" not wanting this sin. The two are separate things and you can have one without the other. If I do not want this sin, but I do not believe that Christ dies for my sins, I'm still going to not want this sin, yet I am not going to believe. Believing requires an additional step so just wanting isn't enough. If I want to live to be 100, I'll need to exercise and eat right. Just wanting not to die young is not enough to actually accomplish that feat. So, no, you're wrong here as well.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm not sure what else you expect.  Drich is a slave to sin, after all.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
At least he's getting his five a day with all that word salad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 567 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2215 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 9181 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religious people are less intelligent than atheists Bow Before Zeus 186 21544 December 23, 2017 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3482 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This Is More Complicated Than I Thought. Minimalist 1 1289 May 19, 2016 at 8:55 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7574 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25963 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Recap - A moral question for theists dyresand 39 7564 July 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A moral and ethical question for theists dyresand 131 18410 July 15, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus