Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 4:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Hell and Forgiveness
RE: On Hell and Forgiveness
(September 27, 2018 at 12:16 pm)Khemikal Wrote: There's a type of combatant called a commander, lol. 

That's called a sissy that can't fight because he'd rather sacrifice the lives of others.
Hey, look..another thing god would have to be the greatest at.  He'd have to be the best at sacrificing the lives of others.

That's what's so funny about the greatest possible being.  No matter what a person says their god is and isn't..all one needs to do is imagine a god identical to theirs in all but one respect....it's better at the things their god wont or doesn't do.

Unless it's the best at everything, there is always at least one possible god that's it's equal...plus-1.

Even if they maintained maximal stats in every respect (they won't) it's still possible that there are -two- entities with maximal stats. Go gets robbed again!

The whole thing is soup sandwich.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Let's face it, many people are talking about who could beat who up. It's all rather primal, really. Find the biggest, scariest looking thing in the room and throw yourself in front of it to try and curry favour and mercy. It's a bit sad that right now it's some sort of illogical theoretical concept with no apparent ties to reality they are crawling around in front of.

I guess I just have a different mindset. I'm not interested in doing that. Sure, if I was in immediate, apparent danger and I thought some sort of ruse might get me out of it, I'd pretend to kiss up to some homicidal maniac. If someone was torturing me, I'd say anything to make them stop. But when we're talking about a supposed untrickable being of unlimited power, and all that nonsense, what's the point in me even trying? It can do what it wants, that's they very thing they tell me all the time. If it decides to use me as a toy, then there's not much I can do about it. So I'm not going to crawl around like a bitch in the mean time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 27, 2018 at 12:16 pm)robvalue Wrote: If God was so great, you'd think he wouldn't need to resort to threats of torture just to try and coerce people into believing he exists, let alone that he's actually great enough to worship. Just tying it back in with the thread topic!

You should learn actual Christian doctrines before criticising.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(September 27, 2018 at 12:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 12:16 pm)robvalue Wrote: If God was so great, you'd think he wouldn't need to resort to threats of torture just to try and coerce people into believing he exists, let alone that he's actually great enough to worship. Just tying it back in with the thread topic!

Why waste time with what is essentially a moving target? Theist sometimes criticize science for continually evolving, yet theology suffers the same flaw.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 27, 2018 at 12:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: You should learn actual Christian doctrines before criticising.

Christian doctrine seems to be Christian until the Christian states it isn't, and then it becomes confusing because is Christian doctrine still Christian doctrine even if the non-Christian disagrees with how the doctrine is perceived, because goodness knows I could create a wall of text on how these Christians are so concerned about perception rather than actual reality.
At some point, christers are going to have to come up with something better than how we just don't understand their shitty boyfriend.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 27, 2018 at 12:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:

Why would he start now? I find it amusing the massive amounts of time spent by atheists here dreaming up straw men to bash about. I bet only a couple could correctly characterize any 10 main Christian doctrines.
(September 27, 2018 at 1:41 pm)SteveII Wrote: Why would he start now? I find it amusing the massive amounts of time spent by atheists here dreaming up straw men to bash about. I bet only a couple could correctly characterize just 10 random doctrines.

I find straw men are less important than theists making an actual attempt at reason. God is not reason. The concept is the absolute opposite. God is not logic. God is illogic.

If theists want to be taken seriously, they need to stop relying upon fantasy for argumentation.
(September 27, 2018 at 1:41 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(September 27, 2018 at 12:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: You should learn actual Christian doctrines before criticising.

Why would he start now? I find it amusing the massive amounts of time spent by atheists here dreaming up straw men to bash about. I bet only a couple could correctly characterize any 10 main Christian doctrines.
Something something something, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.  Christians don't exactly knock christian doctrine out of the park..neither in studies done on this issue..nor in this thread...nor according to their own theological authorities.  It's a widely known and widely recognized problem.

I'd be satisfied if you could correctly characterize your -own- silly christian sects doctrine. It would be a hell of alot easier to have a conversation with you if you knew wtf you were talking about. I don't require you to know what all the other schismatics are talking about...but it's funny to hear you rail against them thinking that it's atheists ignorance you're railing against.

When it comes down to it, alot of these folks used to be believers..and we get it, you think that the things other christians teach other christains are stupid. So do they, now..and so do I. I also think that the things other christians have taught -you- are stupid...but hey, whatevs, right?

I've seen this thread come off the fucking wheels on ontology and epistemology. On objectivity and subjectivity. On liberarian free will and compatibilist free will. On classical theology and open theology. As a rule, you've imagined yourself to be the knowledgeable party while displaying abject ignorance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 827 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 35734 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 6561 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 52951 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
  Sin & Forgiveness miaharun 119 17746 November 16, 2015 at 4:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 7723 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why a heaven and hell couldn't exist. dyresand 16 5866 April 5, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Exclamation Hell and the Play Nice Christian Cinjin 202 34893 February 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal .. Brakeman 130 27610 December 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 7269 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris