Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 4:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If theists understood "evidence"
RE: If theists understood "evidence"
Yabut, these are god-breathed anecdotes.  Even the fictitious ones!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Ok... but everything is not a scientific investigation. And it seems that anecdotes are said to not evidence for a scientific claim, because these claims are of a different nature than others. It’s not denying the claims of the anecdote, but saying that it is not eneough to establish a pattern or a scientific rule. We still rely on the observation of others, and for them to transmit that information verbally or in written form to others.

Often an example for this is something like my aunt drank eight glasses of water everyday and her cancer went into remission. The anecdotal saying is not saying that these things didn’t happen or that the testimony is not evidence in the issue of these things being true or false. It’s not evidence, when one claims that drinking X amount of water cures cancer. The statements may likely be true, but they don’t make the correlation between the two events.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
You think that the anecdotes are claims "of a different nature"?

LOL, we're just trying to establish whether or not the narrative presented in paul is credible.  Whats so different about that?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 10, 2018 at 6:29 am)Khemikal Wrote: You think that the anecdotes are claims "of a different nature"?

LOL, we're just trying to establish whether or not the narrative presented in paul is credible.  Whats so different about that?

No... I was replying to something in another post. 

Context is good.  Prooftexting is bad.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Let me break this down for you.  Of the four pauls, one is completely legendary, two are varying degrees of lying for christ, and "authentic paul" is only authentic insomuch as we think a guy wrote it.

That guy, limited to just that content, is very vague about his cred.  In that content, he merely claims to have persecuted christians, but how or where is left up to the imagination..with the exception that he says he never persecuted them in judea.  This is important...because judea is the only place that a jew could accost people on account of their faith, and whatever charges they brought would only apply to fellow jews (and this would only be true before the jewish war - after..lelz). Further, the character of authentic paul is a hellenist and not a hebrew scholar, not someone who'd had rabbinical training....not someone the theocratic authorities would send to ferret out other hellenists, why not start with him?  

So, knowing all of that, lets parse the persecution claim.  If paul was just some well to do nut who yelled at christians from time to time..it's plausible.  

If we imagine that paul was traveling the countryside as an arm of and with the blessing of the religious -and- secular authorities..merrily prosecuting christians in some more meaningful and legal sense.....in a word.  No.  

The hard limit in all of this is that the story must be set before the jewish war, or else the entire thing is completely implausible.  The generous summary here...is that paul is exaggerating when it comes to his level of education, importance, role in society, and past acts - and that's just in "authentic" paul, and assuming it was written in the 50's.

The paul you have in mind, otoh, is completely fictitious...and yes..that is the position of the majority of new testament scholars. Christians commonly confuse their paul with the paul of biblical scholarship - so I can't fault you for being a common christian...but now you know.

You're welcome. Wink
(October 10, 2018 at 7:18 am)Khemikal Wrote:

It seems that we jumped topics completely now (leaping more than creeping). I have discussed this recently, and you are going to have to support your claims with more than fanciful stories, like with evidence and reason.
(October 10, 2018 at 7:34 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 10, 2018 at 7:18 am)Khemikal Wrote:

It seems that we jumped topics completely now (leaping more than creeping).   I have discussed this recently, and you are going to have to support your claims with more than fanciful stories, like with evidence and reason.

LMAO, you're so predictable ...
(October 10, 2018 at 7:38 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(October 10, 2018 at 7:34 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: It seems that we jumped topics completely now (leaping more than creeping).   I have discussed this recently, and you are going to have to support your claims with more than fanciful stories, like with evidence and reason.

LMAO, you're so predictable ...

Well it's getting off topic, and as I said, I've recently discussed this.   I believe that after a bunch of run around, if we can get to it (and the poster even knows) we are going to find out, that the only evidence for these claims is essentially textual criticism.   A little bit different style or words used in the writings.  And this is easily explained by what we know of Paul used of an amanuenses as well as differences in time of writing or audience, and purpose.   It certainly doesn't warrant the storytelling above or necessarily indicate any such thing. 

Now forgive me, if I don't want to do this dance, for something that is off topic and I have recently discussed.  Perhaps it would be better suited to that thread or a new one.    I'm still curious as to the "what" behind the OP if theists only understood evidence.   Perhaps you would like to answer that?
(October 9, 2018 at 9:19 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 9, 2018 at 7:11 am)Jehanne Wrote: I don't believe Paul, for reasons that I have stated before, namely, I believe that Paul was a "storyteller" who told overt lies, in particular, his claim to have persecuted early Christians.  I think that this story was invented by Paul in order to give him credibility within the early Christian community, but within the known structure of the Roman Empire in Palestine, I think that his claims were impossible.  Neither the local nor the Roman authorities would have tolerated such behavior, either due to one of their citizens or one of their subjects.  Paul's claims are equivalent to someone claiming that Sheriff Joe Shapiro went to New York City, set up his own jail in a rented hotel room and started making his own arrests.  A few decades from now someone may write such a story, and while it may make for entertaining reading, it would be viewed as being an historical impossibility.  Ditto for Paul.

By the way, there is a principle of law at work here:

Paul is not a credible witness to history -- he likely suffered from epileptic seizures, which he interpreted as being of divine origin, he believed in a flat Earth, and he was a liar.

Do the majority of scholars support your view?  I never see this as a major argument articulated by scholars.

It seems to me, that during this time period, the Romans and the Jews had a complicated on again - off again relationship.   I also think that it is incorrect to compare modern practices to those of 1st century Rome (anachronistic fallacy).  During the time of Jesus (and Paul) they where trying to get along with the Jews,  shortly after, was the Jewish war.  There was a tension and power struggle between the two.   I don't think that the Romans had any problem with killing people, but the question is, would they have allowed the Jewish authorities to do so.  I'm certainly not any kind of authority or expert in this area, but given my knowledge of their relationship and the behavior of the Romans I think that the answer is it's complicated. It fluctuated and what they allowed or didn't allow depended on that complicated relationship which could change rapidly.

(October 10, 2018 at 7:34 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 10, 2018 at 7:18 am)Khemikal Wrote: Let me break this down for you.  Of the four pauls, one is completely legendary, two are varying degrees of lying for christ, and "authentic paul" is only authentic insomuch as we think a guy wrote it.

That guy, limited to just that content, is very vague about his cred.  In that content, he merely claims to have persecuted christians, but how or where is left up to the imagination..with the exception that he says he never persecuted them in judea.  This is important...because judea is the only place that a jew could accost people on account of their faith, and whatever charges they brought would only apply to fellow jews (and this would only be true before the jewish war - after..lelz). Further, the character of authentic paul is a hellenist and not a hebrew scholar, not someone who'd had rabbinical training....not someone the theocratic authorities would send to ferret out other hellenists, why not start with him?  

So, knowing all of that, lets parse the persecution claim.  If paul was just some well to do nut who yelled at christians from time to time..it's plausible.  

If we imagine that paul was traveling the countryside as an arm of and with the blessing of the religious -and- secular authorities..merrily prosecuting christians in some more meaningful and legal sense.....in a word.  No.  

The hard limit in all of this is that the story must be set before the jewish war, or else the entire thing is completely implausible.  The generous summary here...is that paul is exaggerating when it comes to his level of education, importance, role in society, and past acts - and that's just in "authentic" paul, and assuming it was written in the 50's.  

The paul you have in mind, otoh, is completely fictitious...and yes..that is the position of the majority of new testament scholars.  Christians commonly confuse their paul with the paul of biblical scholarship - so I can't fault you for being a common christian...but now you know.  

You're welcome.  Wink

It seems that we jumped topics completely now (leaping more than creeping).   I have discussed this recently, and you are going to have to support your claims with more than fanciful stories, like with evidence and reason.
Have we?  

No, we have not. I directly answered questions you asked. Yes, it is the majority opinion of new testament scholarship that the bulk of what is attributed to paul and about paul is not authentic. The majority of the paul as persecutor tidbits we have are in legendary paul. Limiting ourselves to authentic paul, we find a trivial and vague claim...that -must- be trivial and vague..or else it would not support either the person of paul or the dating of the authentics.

If we assume that authentic paul is historically authentic, we are left with a hellenist, not a hebrew....who inflated his background as needed for polemic in the decades preceding the jewish war.

So, what would you like to do? Affirm the narrative continuity of legends, and in the process argue -against- the notion of a historical paul in authentic paul..or accept authentic paul as historically accurate and place him within the context of damascene authority in the 30's to 50's?
(October 10, 2018 at 7:49 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(October 9, 2018 at 9:19 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Do the majority of scholars support your view?  I never see this as a major argument articulated by scholars.

It seems to me, that during this time period, the Romans and the Jews had a complicated on again - off again relationship.   I also think that it is incorrect to compare modern practices to those of 1st century Rome (anachronistic fallacy).  During the time of Jesus (and Paul) they where trying to get along with the Jews,  shortly after, was the Jewish war.  There was a tension and power struggle between the two.   I don't think that the Romans had any problem with killing people, but the question is, would they have allowed the Jewish authorities to do so.  I'm certainly not any kind of authority or expert in this area, but given my knowledge of their relationship and the behavior of the Romans I think that the answer is it's complicated. It fluctuated and what they allowed or didn't allow depended on that complicated relationship which could change rapidly.

(October 10, 2018 at 7:34 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: It seems that we jumped topics completely now (leaping more than creeping).   I have discussed this recently, and you are going to have to support your claims with more than fanciful stories, like with evidence and reason.
Have we?  

No, we have not.  I directly answered questions you asked.  Yes, it is the majority opinion of new testament scholarship that the bulk of what is attributed to paul and about paul is not authentic.  The majority of the paul as persecutor tidbits we have are in legendary paul.  Limiting ourselves to authentic paul, we find a trivial and vague claim...that -must- be trivial and vague..or else it would not support either the person of paul or the dating of the authentics.

Ok... more to the context of the thread, I'm going to ask what the evidence and reasons for these claims is.  As I stated above, I don't think that you have much more than textual criticism for these.  So perhaps we can discuss the nature of this evidence and what it implies.  Understand what the evidence is specifically, and then discuss how that should apply to your claims.  

And I think that it is off topic, because you jumped from another claim about Paul to something else about Paul.  However the purpose of the thread was to discuss evidence, and apparently what "only if theist understood"   Your purpose seems to be something else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 7175 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4484 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2951 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9853 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 51026 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11775 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 22296 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Evidence of NDEs Jehanne 22 4476 December 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'm God. What evidence do I need to provide? robvalue 297 28271 November 16, 2015 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Unaffiliated/irreligious people isn't evidence of anything good TheMessiah 13 3837 June 14, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus